I read somewhere in the forums that BB10 is being built on QNX version 8 of the microkernal. And that Tablet OS for Playbook runs QNX 6.5.X

Is all of this true? How come I can't find any info online about QNX 8? Is RIM keeping is all hush hush? And what does this all mean for BB10 vs PB OS 2.O etc.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-30-12 07:50 AM
    Also not finding much. Maybe this?

qnx • View topic • ANNOUNCE: C-Kermit 8.0.211
    05-30-12 07:58 AM
    http://www.trollaxor.com/2007/06/maj...edded.html?m=1

interesting read about QNX 8 dubbed Axion ? Sounds fishy to me... Eitherway the article delves into "QNX 8" and talks about all the reasons it's going to be awesome. If BB10 is actually built off qnx 8 then it will be powerful, even gamechanging. Why don't we hear about these things? All traces of QNX 8 disappeared from the internet like it doesnt exist.

05-30-12 08:40 AM
    Good question. Maybe it has been renamed?
    05-30-12 08:44 AM
    If you check QNX they state 6.5 as the OS... Which has been around for years. Did they suddenly stop developing their OS? Lol people are so ignorant i swear! 6.5 was released in 2010 the same year RIM acquired... I bet money the QNX team has been building it's next embebbed beast and blackberry 10 will be the first show of it

kbz1960 likes this.
    05-30-12 08:49 AM
    When RIM purchased QNX.They closed the source for future developments.

Think of it like OSX, and Windows now, except a tiny fraction of people trying to find the details and report on them compared to the 2,

It is safe to say since RIM purchased QNX, they have advanced at least 1 version number,

But it isn't in RIm's best interest to talk about specifics until release
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-30-12 08:54 AM
    Once again drusset with a good point.
    05-30-12 09:02 AM
    Agreed! It just has me excited :P . I applaud RIM for sticking to their guns and allowing Blackberry to try and regain it's own ground. I feel like RIM has superb pieces on the board, but the game is won via execution of those pieces.. Only time will tell! RIM playing it close to the chest just makes it all the more exciting

05-30-12 09:05 AM
    Very interesting jameszalexander. Thanks for posting this. In the media there is a constant re-hash of the same stuff or sensationalization of the negative about RIM but I am so amazed by how many positive things they are doing. I can't wait to see what they come out with.
    05-30-12 12:31 PM
    Trollaxor: Major QNX Upgrade to Rock Embedded World

interesting read about QNX 8 dubbed Axion ? Sounds fishy to me... Eitherway the article delves into "QNX 8" and talks about all the reasons it's going to be awesome. If BB10 is actually built off qnx 8 then it will be powerful, even gamechanging. Why don't we hear about these things? All traces of QNX 8 disappeared from the internet like it doesnt exist.

Oh lol, you guys are just too funny sometimes. Have you even looked at any of the other articles on that site...You do realize it's a troll site with made up articles right? Look, here is another QNX article on that site: Trollaxor: QNX CRASHED MY CAR

Also, the content of that article don't even make sense. And it was written in 2007....

Anyway, regarding QNX... All of the development tools, releases, etc. - even the absolute latest stuff targeted towards BlackBerry 10 - still point to QNX being at version 6.5. I've never seen any evidence things have progressed beyond this, and at this point regarding NDK development, if it had progressed beyond this, as a developer RIM would have already had to incorporate it in to their dev tools, by necessity.

So basically, no. BB10 will run on QNX Neutrino 6.5. I'd bet my life savings on it.
    05-30-12 12:46 PM
    Oh lol, you guys are just too funny sometimes. Have you even looked at any of the other articles on that site...You do realize it's a troll site with made up articles right? Look, here is another QNX article on that site: Trollaxor: QNX CRASHED MY CAR

Also, the content of that article don't even make sense. And it was written in 2007....

Anyway, regarding QNX... All of the development tools, releases, etc. - even the absolute latest stuff targeted towards BlackBerry 10 - still point to QNX being at version 6.5. I've never seen any evidence things have progressed beyond this, and at this point regarding NDK development, if it had progressed beyond this, as a developer RIM would have already had to incorporate it in to their dev tools, by necessity.

So basically, no. BB10 will run on QNX Neutrino 6.5. I'd bet my life savings on it.

They say don't bet what youre not willing to loose.

05-30-12 12:58 PM

Interesting. So, if you're like me with savings, where do I send my $1 if I lose? I'm assuming even odds.
    05-30-12 01:05 PM
    Actually the Playbook OS runs on Neutrino 6.6, so I would be shocked if BB10 runs on something older. The current FIPS policy is based on Neutrino 6.6, with version 5.6 for the crypto kernel. They have a new Crypto Kernel for tablet OS in NIST for testing, so that means that they are either increasing the crypto kernel revision, or they or the Neutrino version, or both. Anyway since BB10 will definitely be on Neutrino 6.6 or higher, I'll take my payout of your life savings in small, unmarked bills.
    grover5 likes this.
    05-30-12 01:19 PM
    In the 30 year history of QNX, they have made 1 major OS update every 10 years.

The original QNX OS was renamed QNX2 and was in service for the whole 1980's.

Then in the late 80's and early 90's, QNX4 was born.

Then in the late 90's and early 2000's, QNX6 was born.

Linda Campbell, QNX director of strategic alliances, tweeted in September of last year that QNX is working on QNX8.

Twitter / QNX_Linda: @dasDestruktion we are wor

Chris Wade (dingleberry) uname the dev alpha and guess what? It's listing it as 8.0.0.

Twitter
    Last edited by samab; 05-30-12 at 04:19 PM.
    05-30-12 04:13 PM

Linda Campbell, QNX director of strategic alliances, tweeted in September of last year that QNX is working on QNX8.

Chris Wade (dingleberry) uname the dev alpha and guess what? It's listing it as 8.0.0.

Twitter
    Now THAT's what I call winning with logic...
    grover5 likes this.
    05-30-12 04:27 PM
    thank you for sorting out what I could not! I knew I wasn't crazy......
    05-30-12 04:33 PM
    Question is... How BIG is QNX 8 and does it mean anything for BB10...
    05-30-12 04:36 PM

Twitter
    Can we have a BBQ together this summer?
    05-30-12 04:48 PM
    Question is... How BIG is QNX 8 and does it mean anything for BB10...
    No, the question is how SMALL is QNX8?

The whole point for QNX is the microkernel --- a very small kernel that once they designed, tested and certified it --- won't be changed for 10 years.
    05-30-12 04:52 PM
    Would be interesting to know what's in the changelog.
    05-30-12 05:23 PM
    ahh true that... ARCHITECTURE! all about architecture. I wonder what distinguishing changes they've made ^_^ seeing as it has to be rather future proof
    05-30-12 05:23 PM
    Would be interesting to know what's in the changelog.
    We have already seen a preview of the change log from Playbook OS 2.0.1 --- NOTHING runs as root, EVERYTHING is run in user-space with no root privileges.

The QNX documentation on RIM's website is newer than the documentation on QNX's own website. Something as simple as system logger was changed to make it so that it doesn't require root to run.

Help - Eclipse SDK

https://developer.blackberry.com/nat...s/slogger.html
    kennyliu likes this.
    05-30-12 05:52 PM

Twitter
    Then my guess is that the new Playbook Tablet OS in FIPS testing right now is probably based on this new OS. They'll want to have BB10 FIPS approved day 1 of release, and I'm sure they'll leave the security policy generic to just say an ARMv7 cpu, Neutrino Y.X, and crypto kernel A.b so the phone can use same things and get approved. I'll keep an eye on the progress and provide details from the security policy when available.
    05-30-12 09:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD