Lol, no, maybe the guy who discovered electricity, the light bulb, telephone, radio, antibiotics, aspirin, "the pill", the wheel, fire lol
    Ah. So basically you're undervaluing the personal computer and those who helped bring it to us vis-a-vis those others, yet you put "the pill" alongside the wheel and electricity. That doesn't make any sense to me, but to each their own.
    12-26-11 07:39 PM
    Really. Can you point me to one patent Apple purchased and then used to sue another company?

Let me guess; those "people that actually changed the world" include Mike and Jim, right?
    Ummm, I would think so, wouldn't you?

This sounds like the same stupidity hash through 1,000 times before. Who did what first.
    12-26-11 08:42 PM
    I'm just so confused. How many people does RIM have working on this? Whatever it is it clearly isn't enough.

RIM is just utterly dysfunctional. When Google buys a company, unless it has a large brand like YouTube or Blogger, how long does it take them to integrate it into the larger Google culture? A week? RIM buys all these tiny companies you would think they would keep the people who run them in as management and then give these people the ability to hire many many more people to expand their operation. I feel as though the QNX team is working with the same number of people pre-acquisiton with double the work.

It really isn't asking for much. As you can see with the Playbook, it still isn't fully ready. These phones are supposed to be mini-Playbooks. If they can't get a no radio playbook right how are they supposed to get phones right?

There was clear lapse. As I said before... this is their timeframe: phones for 2010 shipping in early 2011, BBX phones that should be holiday 2011 "shipping" holiday 2012 with nothing else the rest of the year. Great plan. Ask Palm how waiting forever for a new product worked for them.
    12-26-11 08:53 PM
    With the ipad 3 trying to launch in Feb. Does the Playbook os2.0 will even make any noise IF and only if it actually launches.
    12-26-11 09:17 PM
    With the ipad 3 trying to launch in Feb. Does the Playbook os2.0 will even make any noise IF and only if it actually launches.
    I think I heard the iPad 3 will be no earlier than a March release, so Playbook OS2 won't have to worry about Apple overshadowing their release. However, I think OS2 will come and go without much discussion except for BB forums... and I wouldn't doubt many will be disappointed in it.
    12-26-11 10:17 PM
    When Google buys a company, unless it has a large brand like YouTube or Blogger, how long does it take them to integrate it into the larger Google culture? A week?
    Actually, been there, done that. It's way more than a week. They aren't that smooth. I mean, they are one of the greatest companies on the planet, no doubt. But even they can't solve the human condition.

I feel as though the QNX team is working with the same number of people pre-acquisiton with double the work.
    Oh, I'm sure the kernel is just fine. I doubt the QNX team has anything at all to do with the delays. It's the rest of the operating system that RIM has to build. They bought a perfectly nice kernel (although now that have to maintain the thing and write their own drivers for years, but that's another story). Unfortunately, they're scrambling to build an OS around it.

I think I heard the iPad 3 will be no earlier than a March release, so Playbook OS2 won't have to worry about Apple overshadowing their release.
    I don't know, that could be tough actually. There are three things they have to deal with: weeks of speculation leading up to the actual iPad 3 announcement day. Then the announcement itself. Then launch day with the queues in so many big cities. So that's a bit of a minefield for RIM's marketing and PR teams to have to navigate. And unfortunately, Apple won't give them advance notice.

RIM could schedule an event, and then have Apple totally wipe them off the news a day later or a week later. If they are feeling particularly nasty, Apple could even just leak an iPad3 rumor that same week (or the same day!)

It's tough, Apple PR and marketing are firing on all cylinders lately. They are a machine.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 12-26-11 at 11:38 PM.
    12-26-11 11:34 PM
    Ah. So basically you're undervaluing the personal computer and those who helped bring it to us vis-a-vis those others, yet you put "the pill" alongside the wheel and electricity. That doesn't make any sense to me, but to each their own.
    Like it or not the pill did change the world, the world is different right now because of it.

S Jobs might've had something to do with the invention of personal computers but the first Apple computer I ever saw was in 1999, everybody's personal computer was a windows pc. He might've invented it but he wasn't the one to put it in people's homes.
    12-27-11 03:15 AM
    I think I heard the iPad 3 will be no earlier than a March release, so Playbook OS2 won't have to worry about Apple overshadowing their release. However, I think OS2 will come and go without much discussion except for BB forums... and I wouldn't doubt many will be disappointed in it.
    That pb os2 release won't even be a single blip in the news world. No one except maybe 150000 people even care at this point. Apple won't steal any thunder because there won't be any thunder, not even a light shower. The Playbook isn't a news item anymore, RiM missed that boat. The Playbook has become a footnote in death knell articles.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xandermac; 12-27-11 at 08:08 AM.
    12-27-11 08:04 AM
    Like it or not the pill did change the world, the world is different right now because of it.
    I never said the pill didn't change the world; I just wouldn't mention it in the same breath as "electricity" or "the wheel." There's no substitute for electricity or the wheel; meanwhile, there are several birth control options.

S Jobs might've had something to do with the invention of personal computers but the first Apple computer I ever saw was in 1999, everybody's personal computer was a windows pc. He might've invented it but he wasn't the one to put it in people's homes.
    And there you just went sliding off the rails. I have news for you: the guy who discovered electricity wasn't the one most directly responsible for getting it into people's homes. Similarly, Westinghouse's incandescent lightbulb would be far less useful without Tesla's alternating current. But why stop there? The Wright brothers pulled off perhaps the most amazing engineering feat in the last 200 years; do we slide them down the pole because they didn't found United Airlines? If you want to argue that the personal computer is less important than "the pill" then that's a matter of opinion, but when you try to support it by arguing that Jobs contributed less because he didn't put the computer in people's homes, it just sounds silly.

Also, let's keep in mind that Apple sells a lot more phones than RIM does, both cumulatively and quarter to quarter. Does that then mean that Jobs' contribution to smartphones is more significant than, say, Mike Laziridis? After all, he put more devices in people's homes, right? Of course it doesn't. But those are the kind of bizarre conclusions you get when you use something like "put X in people's homes" as your standard for "changing the world." It's a kind of a silly argument to begin with, but you managed to make it even sillier.
    12-27-11 10:01 AM
    I never said the pill didn't change the world; I just wouldn't mention it in the same breath as "electricity" or "the wheel." There's no substitute for electricity or the wheel; meanwhile, there are several birth control options.

And there you just went sliding off the rails. I have news for you: the guy who discovered electricity wasn't the one most directly responsible for getting it into people's homes. Similarly, Westinghouse's incandescent lightbulb would be far less useful without Tesla's alternating current. But why stop there? The Wright brothers pulled off perhaps the most amazing engineering feat in the last 200 years; do we slide them down the pole because they didn't found United Airlines? If you want to argue that the personal computer is less important than "the pill" then that's a matter of opinion, but when you try to support it by arguing that Jobs contributed less because he didn't put the computer in people's homes, it just sounds silly.

Also, let's keep in mind that Apple sells a lot more phones than RIM does, both cumulatively and quarter to quarter. Does that then mean that Jobs' contribution to smartphones is more significant than, say, Mike Laziridis? After all, he put more devices in people's homes, right? Of course it doesn't. But those are the kind of bizarre conclusions you get when you use something like "put X in people's homes" as your standard for "changing the world." It's a kind of a silly argument to begin with, but you managed to make it even sillier.
    Man you like to rant, fact is Steve Jobs and the iphone did not change the world, I never argued anything else.

You can't change the world if you only affect the life of a tiny percentage of the global population, and even then, at a high price.

But for some bizarre reason people think Steve Jobs did.
    12-27-11 10:37 AM
    Rim has flopped end of... These phones need to be top class...but I don't see how they going to release quad core to keep up...when they can't even produce single core phones properly...honestly the 9900 is probably the only well designed BB I've seen in ages... As for the os2 I reckon its overrated ipad 3 willl again blow everyone away and that will then create more excitement for the iphone 5 as ipad specs are usually implemented in the new ifones....make or break for rim
    12-27-11 11:00 AM
    blow away the competition? With one. Revolutionary HD rear camera and a decent quality front facing camera... and adding like 500 MHz to the processor clock and iOS5?? But the sheeples will definitely line up to buy it.
    12-27-11 11:25 AM
    blow away the competition?
    it's worked so far.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    12-27-11 11:39 AM
    blow away the competition? With one. Revolutionary HD rear camera and a decent quality front facing camera... and adding like 500 MHz to the processor clock and iOS5?? But the sheeples will definitely line up to buy it.
    Good point. Maybe they should try a trackball and blinking LED instead. I kid.

Seriously though, you write as if manufacturers somehow get more credit for selling to people who make better informed purchase decisions. I don't think Apple or RIM care who buys their products or why, and as long as profits keep falling I don't think RIM can afford to be selective.
    12-27-11 12:08 PM
    Truth is Apple does not invent much. It takes technology available, refines it, and adds it's magic touch in industrial design (compliments of Jonathan Ive) and then releases it to the wild where the cult faithful think it's ground breaking.

Palm TX (November 2005 to 2009):

Notice the similarities. Even the middle button is similar to iPhone.

Do you remember what the Android prototypes looked like before Jan 2007?

Remember when developers used to have to make deals with each individual carrier in each country? Remember what the "web" looked like, even on the Android prototypes of the time?

The iPhone changed a lot of products and a lot of company's plans between Jan 2007 and June 2008. Even RIM and Palm who dominated the industry once had to change their plans. That's a big impact.
    12-27-11 09:13 PM
    The competition wishes it was just the cult faithful but alas....

Truth is Apple does not invent much. It takes technology available, refines it, and adds it's magic touch in industrial design (compliments of Jonathan Ive) and then releases it to the wild where the cult faithful think it's ground breaking.

Click to view quoted image

JBenn911 likes this.
    12-27-11 09:15 PM
    You can't deny the picture. TX came out in 2005. HP has Palm's patents. It could sue Apple for using the home button. If the tables were turned, Apple would sue.
    12-27-11 09:29 PM

Click to view quoted image

You seem to be ignoring the most significant thing that Palm didn't have (until WebOS of course), a usable UI framework. You have to have all the pieces together. It's not about one piece being novel. It's about getting so many different details of the product (and business) right simultaneously. It's the difference between being a great violinist and being a great conductor. That's why Palm isn't around anymore and Apple is.

Just look at that screen shot. So what do you think took more engineering (and design) effort and time? A button in the middle or a UI framework that actually consistently works on small screens? Palm and Microsoft failed at UI (before the WebOS reboot) because they were too closely mimicking PC interfaces.

By the way, you do know where most of the Palm team came from, right?
    Last edited by app_Developer; 12-27-11 at 09:38 PM.
    12-27-11 09:32 PM
    It could sue Apple for using the home button.
    Which patent is that?
    12-27-11 09:33 PM
    I don't buy your argument, Palm had a workable UI in PDA from Pilot to 2005 or 2006. It just became complacent like RIM now and did not innovate enough or fast enough or did not see where mobile devices were heading.
    12-27-11 09:36 PM
    That's a little wishful thinking if you ask me. The button layout is identical to any blackberry with a trackpad. Stretching it to the iPhone with one button is ignorant. Now, had you pointed to UI elements of the treo 650 you might get some support. Compare the phone app on the 650 to the iPhone, or the grid layout homescreen, or the biggest rip off the vibrate switch!

You can't deny the picture. TX came out in 2005. HP has Palm's patents. It could sue Apple for using the home button. If the tables were turned, Apple would sue.
    12-27-11 09:36 PM
    Which patent is that?
    I am not your gopher, look it up.
    12-27-11 09:37 PM
    LOL, it's Apple suing Samsung for "stealing" the look and feel of iPad and iPhone?

That's a little wishful thinking if you ask me. The button layout is identical to any blackberry with a trackpad. Stretching it to the iPhone with one button is ignorant. Now, had you pointed to UI elements of the treo 650 you might get some support. Compare the phone app on the 650 to the iPhone, or the grid layout homescreen, or the biggest rip off the vibrate switch!
    12-27-11 09:42 PM
    I don't buy your argument, Palm had a workable UI in PDA from Pilot to 2005 or 2006. It just became complacent like RIM now and did not innovate enough or fast enough or did not see where mobile devices were heading.
    Palm had the best UI at the time. Until Apple got into that business the second time and found a better one. (And Palm took that side tour in the weeds with Microsoft)

I'm not saying Palm wasn't a great company. It was. But Apple did it better. And most interestingly, Apple didn't just emulate what Android was doing at the time. or what RIM was doing at the time. Or what Palm was doing at the time. They built something very different (from the OS design, to the API design, to the user interface, to the app store model, to dropping the stylus, to assuming a GPU in all devices).

A lot of things that changed the whole direction of the Android project (just look at the APIs from cupcake and compare them to froyo and tell me Apple didn't influence that). They also of course changed the direction at Palm, Nokia, and now RIM.

I am not your gopher, look it up.
    I'll take it you don't know.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 12-27-11 at 10:17 PM.
    12-27-11 09:44 PM
    LOL, it's Apple suing Samsung for "stealing" the look and feel of iPad and iPhone?
    See attached.

I'll take it you don't know.
    Zing!
    12-27-11 09:51 PM
332 ... 11121314
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD