Yet again RIM over promises and under delivers. I hope all those who were thinking of delaying upgrading their phones to wait for these instead of buying the OS7 devices didn't fall for it. I love my 9900 and I am delighted I didn't wait. I learned my lesson with Playbook.

And I wouldn't be surprised if late 2012 becomes early 2013...
    the_sleuth likes this.
    12-15-11 04:43 PM
    I was always banking on a 3rd quarter 2012 or later release. Honestly, 1st quarter would be too soon, I never thought it a plausible deadline.

Works for me... I have a 9930 which I LOVE, and I'll have an upgrade waiting when BB10 phones drop
    jivegirl14, grover5, jelp2 and 1 others like this.
    12-15-11 04:58 PM
    I was always banking on a 3rd quarter 2012 or later release. Honestly, 1st quarter would be too soon, I never thought it a plausible deadline.

Works for me... I have a 9930 which I LOVE, and I'll have an upgrade waiting when BB10 phones drop
    I signed a 24 month contract for my 9900 in October so I'm in no hurry at all for the new handsets. I just didn't expect them to be coming out towards the end of my contract
    12-15-11 05:07 PM
    Not too happy about this one. It's good for customers like myself who recently got new OS7 phones. On the other hand, it's looks terrible and is damaging their image by making promises that continually get delayed. People have to really love RIM to stay onboard after so much heart break.
    CDM76 likes this.
    12-15-11 05:14 PM
    Its cool. By that time I will have had my 9930 for about a year and a half. Maybe it will be time for a new phone, maybe not. Im very happy with my 9930, no need to upgrade now.
    12-15-11 05:15 PM
    Happy enough with the 9900 but its not us owners who this affects its the people who haven't yet upgraded from an older device and those who might have taken a look at moving to Blackberry that are now going to go elsewhere, big blow for RIM and I wouldn't be half surprised to see someone make a bid for the company now, if its currently trading at 70% of book value thats a steal for someone.
    12-15-11 05:19 PM
    12-15-11 05:20 PM
    I'm definitely not concerned, just like most of us browsing this thread. My 9900 works better than most devices out there and I am more than satisfied with my device. They could release a new OS7 device in the mean time, just to keep the marketing and brand going, but I doubt they'll do that.
    12-15-11 05:23 PM
    That's all well and good that there are people here who have no trouble waiting another year to get a QNX phone, but this is a disaster for RIM. Many people are jumping ship since they can't wait another year for something that will most likely be no better than what's currently available.
    morfy50 likes this.
    12-15-11 05:28 PM

I bought my 9900 a couple of months ago so this doesn't bother me at all. I wasn't waiting for the new phones - they will appear when they appear. If people want new phones they will either have to upgrade to one of the OS7 Blackberries available (which I think are pretty good) or go and buy a different phone over at the competition.
    chiefbroski, Alex_Hong and tomgnc like this.
    12-15-11 05:32 PM
    For that news Mike & Jim are only worth half salaries! Put them down to 0.50$ per year!
    12-15-11 05:36 PM
    That's all well and good that there are people here who have no trouble waiting another year to get a QNX phone, but this is a disaster for RIM. Many people are jumping ship since they can't wait another year for something that will most likely be no better than what's currently available.
    That's a good point. Whilst it does not affect me personally until my contract is up in 22 months, if RIM spends that time decaying then that is a disaster. This also has to knock confidence in their ability to deliver anything in a timely manner. It reminds me of the film title "The Quick and the Dead".
    12-15-11 05:40 PM
    For that news Mike & Jim are only worth half salaries! Put them down to 0.50$ per year!
    And the killer is the cash they are foregoing they are taking in stock instead, so if the share price stops plummeting then they don't miss out having driven the share price all the way down to where it is now - nice!

Having said that, with those two in charge the stock is probably going to halve, and they still get half their salary.
    12-15-11 05:42 PM
    It's great that a lot of you here are happy with waiting till the end of 2012 because that's when you'll be able to upgrade or whatever, but for the consumers that RIM is trying to get to buy a new Blackberry, specificity in the US, i see things getting a lot worse for them.

And remember no matter how amazing(allegedly) most think BB10 will be, this gives Android, iOS, and Windows Phone 7 about a year to add to their OS's and make major improvements that will win over more consumers for them.

War Is All We Know
    12-15-11 05:44 PM
    You guys are kidding yourselves. OS7 was never anything more than a stop-gap until they could push out QNX/BBX/BB10 phones; now those devices are another year from launch ??!

And once again the 'cutting edge' tech and features they're working on now will be 6 months behind the curve by the time these phones are released. What a disaster.

My 9900 is adequate, barely, and with this news will more than likely be my final Blackberry phone.
    12-15-11 05:44 PM
    this phone delay is a disaster for RIM.

1. Didn't they initially announce the QNX phone all the way back in Nov of 2010? this is unbelievable that it would take them 2 years release something they have been hyping so long. (this is assuming end of 2012 doesn't really mean 2013)

2. RIM has already said that OS7 phones fell short and they expect to fall short next qtr because they stuffed the channel. Now, with no new phones until who knows when, what will sustain their earnings and revenue if the OS7 phones are a bust?

I am afraid that QNX phones may never see the light of day at this pace.
    12-15-11 05:51 PM
    No body promised anything you are all just big babies.
    grover5, jivegirl14 and highos like this.
    12-15-11 05:51 PM
    No body promised anything you are all just big babies.
    Sure, that's what Mike and Jim keep telling their investors
    12-15-11 05:53 PM
    Good moves on RIM's part. They need LTE phones with at least dual core, but also excellent battery life. So produce when those chips are available. It is widely reported that LTE in current phones kills battery life. Apple delayed having LTE. So wait and get it right.

If RIM introduced LTE and BB10 with bad battery life, the same trolls on these forums would be climbing over each other to slam RIM for the bad battery life. And of course ignore that BB phones have replaceable batteries, superior to the iphony.

In the meantime? OS7 phones are great
    12-15-11 05:56 PM
    I made the right choice on getting the Bold 9900 :0
    12-15-11 05:57 PM
    Good moves on RIM's part. They need LTE phones with at least dual core, but also excellent battery life. So produce when those chips are available. It is widely reported that LTE in current phones kills battery life. Apple delayed having LTE. So wait and get it right.

If RIM introduced LTE and BB10 with bad battery life, the same trolls on these forums would be climbing over each other to slam RIM for the bad battery life. And of course ignore that BB phones have replaceable batteries, superior to the iphony.

Great satire.
    12-15-11 05:57 PM
    If the reason for the delay is truly "selection of a processor that wouldn't be available until the middle of next year" then what guarantee of any kind is there they can hit the forecast date at all?

What if the processor itself is delayed, or faulty? What if the final shipped version differs in some subtle but important way from the current design specs?

From some companies this spells "manageable risk".

From RIM this spells "Epic Fail".

Too bad. I'm taking over my wife's OS7 Torch while she gets an iPhone. Our business partner already has an iPhone. In the interim I will continue to explore OS7 and the Playbook, which I really like except for the lack of apps. I will then explore the iPhone and unless there are HUGE benefits to the Berry over the iPhone, it's iPhone all the way for our company.

Too bad, RIM, we were yours to lose. We're now Apple's to lose. What a gong show.

- R.
    12-15-11 05:59 PM
    I am fine on waiting and hoping that RIM will take notes from multiple great comments from this forum to get the BB10 phones right!

On a personal note, this new ETA falls perfectly when I am due for my full two years upgrade...a nice coincidence
    12-15-11 05:59 PM

Apple didn't delay releasing a new phone for a year, they just didn't include LTE, and they already had a killer popular handset selling like hot-cakes.

RIM has a lukewarm (re-heated) product line with mediocre sales and a ton of bad press for missed deadlines and delays. Their solution? no new phones for a year. Genius. OS7 phones aren't great unless Blackberry is the only smartphone you've ever used. They are adequate - barely.

I'm done playing wait and see with RIM.
    12-15-11 06:02 PM

Releasing the infamous BB10 in late 2012 is a good move???

War Is All We Know
    12-15-11 06:03 PM
332 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD