Passport has been promoted as the device one of whose function is to become the device to be used by health care workers. But unfortunately BlackBerry 10 doesn't have good medical apps (not even Medscape is available on BlackBerry 10). Medical apps tend to be released exclusively on iOS, not even on Android. Apple still holds its grip very tightly on the market of users who works in medical world, and if BlackBerry wants to be considered as an alternative seriously, something has to happen to our app condition.
    09-03-14 06:47 PM
    Let me fix that for you.

BlackBerry 10 needs more medical apps
    09-03-14 06:51 PM
    I think that BlackBerry is looking beyond apps that the consumer would use or download and working at integrating their software into the framework of the hospital and the specific software that they use.
    09-03-14 07:30 PM
    Not going to happen. Medical apps need medical users - lots of them. Enterprise deployments of the Passport - even in the thousands - won't attract developers of niche apps.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-03-14 08:04 PM
    BlackBerry has partnered with NantHealth. I'm sure they have medical apps in the works.

Posted from my Z30 using CB10
    09-03-14 08:35 PM
    Then the Passport saying that it is for medical user means nothing. Seeing X Ray or imaging studies usually needs an app.
    09-03-14 09:11 PM
    Then the Passport saying that it is for medical user means nothing. Seeing X Ray or imaging studies usually needs an app.
    No?

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    09-03-14 11:46 PM
    Just so that I understand this: isn't there a difference between consumer oriented medical apps and professional medical apps that can actually used by professionals? I mean highly specialized apps that work with hospital's data networks and peripherals? Are these seriously available in the AppStore accessible for consumers developed by some garage developers? I doubt it. So what holds back medical B2B businesses to launch apps that work with their other offerings?

Posted via CB10
    alan510 likes this.
    09-04-14 04:21 AM
    Just so that I understand this: isn't there a difference between consumer oriented medical apps and professional medical apps that can actually used by professionals? I mean highly specialized apps that work with hospital's data networks and peripherals? Are these seriously available in the AppStore accessible for consumers developed by some garage developers? I doubt it. So what holds back medical B2B businesses to launch apps that work with their other offerings?

Posted via CB10
    Both are important I think. Doctors would want to be access journals, view images, etc from their mobile. AppStore is a very good market for professional medical apps. True story.
    09-04-14 08:07 AM
    Passport has been promoted as the device one of whose function is to become the device to be used by health care workers. But unfortunately BlackBerry 10 doesn't have good medical apps (not even Medscape is available on BlackBerry 10). Medical apps tend to be released exclusively on iOS, not even on Android. Apple still holds its grip very tightly on the market of users who works in medical world, and if BlackBerry wants to be considered as an alternative seriously, something has to happen to our app condition.
    The android version of Medscape works perfectly fine.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rk-q10-949580/
    09-04-14 08:35 AM
    They also need more Aviation Apps. When it comes to flying most of the best apps are only on iOS. Android is 2nd, but a distant 2nd. Meanwhile there's only a couple crap apps for BB10...hopefully with time this will change but I doubt it will in time. Now is when airlines are making an industry changing shift to electronic flight bags.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 08:44 AM
    My wife uses LexiComp on her Q10, it's an android port but usually works well enough. The other day she was having trouble with it, so I deleted it and reinstalled it. The app is free, but requires an annual database subscription that is a few hundred dollars. When I reinstalled it, it asked me to contact support to reset the device subscription (pretty normal for this app). I did, and took the opportunity to ask about whether they were planning on making a native BB10 version.

Long story short, they said that not only did they not have any plans for a native version, but that they would also stop supporting the android port being offered on BB10 by mid 2015, because it was not performing as smoothly as they would like it to.

That's a real shame, because the Passport would be amazing for the app.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by AnimalPak200; 09-04-14 at 09:23 AM.
    09-04-14 09:13 AM
    The android version of Medscape works perfectly fine.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rk-q10-949580/
    It does work better now, but when I initially got BlackBerry 10 and tried the android version it was horrible and crashed constantly. I still agree with the op. Apps for medical professionals don't always have to be highly specialized. Sometimes one thing covers all fields. An acls app would be nice. It's the same for me as a paramedic as it is for a brain surgeon. The medical apps on BlackBerry are lacking and that is to put it nicely. Sometimes I have to look up drugs that I am not familiar with, heck half the time I have to figure out what it is by what the pill looks like. A good drug reference would be much appreciated. A critical care/ als app that has quick reference to drugs, dosages and conditions with contra indications and that sort of stuff would be great. Yeah I can buy the flip book, carry it around, until some of the info changes in 6 months then buy another one. An app that updates when things change would be outstanding. The android versions of stuff like that don't work worth a damn and you have to pay. If I'm going to pay I want it to work. The idea that medical apps are all highly specialized to a specific hospital or group is ridiculous.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 09:30 AM
    Almost any professional can easily see that most niche apps are developed and maintained for iOS first and Android second. And, most professionals aren't too keen on searching for compatible apps and dealing with compatibility issues. Fortunately, the vast majority of smartphones run either iOS or Android. Unfortunately for Blackberry this means that deployment of the Passport for medical applications will be very limited.
    Hlao-roo and JeepBB like this.
    09-04-14 09:48 AM
    Medscape is still not a smooth working app- at least on my Z10. It's slow and crashes from time to time. Medscape and Epocrates are two apps that I would like to see as native. They both have issues on BB10.
    There is no HIPAA texting that works on BB10. They are all for Android or iOS. TigerText, HippoDoc come to mind.
    Maybe if there was a cross platform BBM for medical, it would fill this gap. HIPAA is not just encryption though. I suppose there will be a BES function for this eventually, but what of single users on consumer devices?
    09-04-14 09:49 AM
    Agreed. It remains to be seen what BlackBerry's intentions with BlackBerry World are going forward. It had appeared the plan was to dichotomize the offering -- social/entertainment/consumer apps in Amazon App Store and "enterprise productivity" apps in BlackBerry World -- but clinicians will have to turn to Amazon (or elsewhere) for increasingly key reference tools such as Epocrates, Lexicomp, Micromedex, and UpToDate. Right now, the notion that the Passport will somehow supplant the iPhone (or Android) among medical professionals wholly on the basis of its wider screen and capacitative touch-enabled keyboard doesn't seem tenable.
    09-04-14 09:53 AM
    Agreed. Would love to have more native apps...

BlackBerry 10 needs more medical apps-img_20140904_103154.png
    BlackBerry 10 needs more medical apps-img_20140904_103050.png

Posted via Commodore 64
    09-04-14 09:57 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, highly specialized enterprise apps, including health care industry apps, are widely available in the App Store, and they are certainly not developed by garage developers. The App Store is how they are distributed.

I know some people around here would never think of checking out Apple's offerings, but if you haven't done so, take a look around the App Store sometime. The difference between Apple's and BlackBerry's app stores could not be farther apart in terms of quality both in the consumer and enterprise market. This difference is almost certainly insurmountable at this point. The quality of Apple's App Store, particularly with enterprise apps, cannot be overstated. If you are looking for a specialized enterprise app (the kind that works with specialized equipment and networks), it WILL be in the App Store, MIGHT be in Google Play, and probably WON'T be in BlackBerry World.

BlackBerry's hope to become dominate in a specialized field is a pipe dream. I hope BlackBerry can maintain a presence in the general enterprise market (those who need solid communications devices), but any specialized market is already out of BlackBerry's reach, unfortunately.
    09-04-14 11:10 AM
    I think that BlackBerry is looking beyond apps that the consumer would use or download and working at integrating their software into the framework of the hospital and the specific software that they use.
    I agree. They are looking at connecting devices with medical machines and custom software through BES systems. Not apps that the general public would use....QNX is used already in lots of medical equipment prior to BlackBerry even buying them back in 2010. They now are in a great seat to leverage this.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 11:35 AM
    It does work better now, but when I initially got BlackBerry 10 and tried the android version it was horrible and crashed constantly. I still agree with the op. Apps for medical professionals don't always have to be highly specialized. Sometimes one thing covers all fields. An acls app would be nice. It's the same for me as a paramedic as it is for a brain surgeon. The medical apps on BlackBerry are lacking and that is to put it nicely. Sometimes I have to look up drugs that I am not familiar with, heck half the time I have to figure out what it is by what the pill looks like. A good drug reference would be much appreciated. A critical care/ als app that has quick reference to drugs, dosages and conditions with contra indications and that sort of stuff would be great. Yeah I can buy the flip book, carry it around, until some of the info changes in 6 months then buy another one. An app that updates when things change would be outstanding. The android versions of stuff like that don't work worth a damn and you have to pay. If I'm going to pay I want it to work. The idea that medical apps are all highly specialized to a specific hospital or group is ridiculous.

Posted via CB10
    So what you describe is basically an informational app to conveniently browse and look up information you could otherwise get from a Google search as well. Tbh, that isn't something I'd call a "professional" app.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 11:58 AM
    Yes, highly specialized enterprise apps, including health care industry apps, are widely available in the App Store, and they are certainly not developed by garage developers. The App Store is how they are distributed.

I know some people around here would never think of checking out Apple's offerings, but if you haven't done so, take a look around the App Store sometime. The difference between Apple's and BlackBerry's app stores could not be farther apart in terms of quality both in the consumer and enterprise market. This difference is almost certainly insurmountable at this point. The quality of Apple's App Store, particularly with enterprise apps, cannot be overstated. If you are looking for a specialized enterprise app (the kind that works with specialized equipment and networks), it WILL be in the App Store, MIGHT be in Google Play, and probably WON'T be in BlackBerry World.

BlackBerry's hope to become dominate in a specialized field is a pipe dream. I hope BlackBerry can maintain a presence in the general enterprise market (those who need solid communications devices), but any specialized market is already out of BlackBerry's reach, unfortunately.
    Now that's an answer, thanks.

So the future of mobile computing seems to lay in Apple's hands and one, maybe two individual phone models it seems. A closed proprietary monopoly. Omg please somebody do something about this, it's a nightmare.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 12:06 PM
    This is mine..
    BlackBerry 10 needs more medical apps-img_20140905_004817.png
    09-04-14 12:48 PM
    True story. App store is certainly ahead of BlackBerry at this time. Is there anyway that BlackBerry can turn this around?
    09-04-14 12:49 PM
    Several posters above (and on similar threads) have mentioned that the Android versions of these Apps are flaky, slow, and crash, even when they're run on "real" Android devices. There's a thread over there, that reports that one of these vendors is going to be dropping support for their Android App because of poor performance - credit to them for seeing that their reputation is worth more than the $$$ that their service costs their Android users.

If I were a medical doctor, and I chose to use one of these Android Apps over the stable, regularly updated, iOS version to provide information that might be vital to the health and well-being of my patients - then I'd consider my ethical judgement to be in serious doubt.

I'm sorry if that sounds pompous, but honestly, professionals should be using professional tools - especially where lives may be stake.

And, that's not Android medical Apps, particularly when run on a BB10 device under the runtime!
    09-04-14 12:55 PM
    Just because BBRY has bought into a medical business does not give them the edge. There are many medical businesses and no one has the market edge.

A business / enterprise phone is one that out performs a consumer phone in terms of what it can do, and in terms of applications.
    09-04-14 01:00 PM
28 12