Since its ID connected.Would be good if people who get BB10 phones put in their ID get recognized as PB users and get the BB10 push.So when you get a BB10 phone you get the upgrade with the PB.
    12-24-12 12:48 PM
    the 32GB were on special at staples for $129
    Aww, recently?
    12-24-12 01:07 PM
    Right because putting BlackBerry10 in the hands of 2 million marketers makes no sense.
    THAT'S what i'm tawkin' 'bout...
    12-24-12 01:09 PM
    yeah in december
    Hmmmm that's odd. I just did an online chat with a Staples rep and she said they haven't had Playbooks for a long time. I might call my nearest store after awhile if they're still open. I also didn't see any at the Staples I went to with my folks when I was visiting them in Arizona :S.
    12-24-12 01:24 PM
    how do you figure that? just because BB10 will be offered on the playbook does not take sales away from a smartphone device, those lookign for a smartphone with BB10 will still buy it weather they have a playbook that has BB10 or not, they are two different products geared at two different purpouses, as well what about how Apple does their OS update, launchign the update to users before the new product release did that take away sales? i think not
    The point is not that it will take sales from the new devices, simply that it will not generate them more money to devote resources to it instead of putting them onto new devices that will result in new sales and hence more money.

The situation you mention with apple is not directly comparable because bb10 is a make or break launch for rim and the make or break is decided by sales, so their entire focus right now will be on ensuring the best possible software is in place on the l-series and then the n-series because this is what they will be judged on by customers, the markets and the media rather than how soon they do or do not release the bb10 upgrade for the playbook.

Anyway, we will see what happens, but I think that anyone expecting early bb10 on playbook will end up disappointed.
    12-24-12 01:38 PM
    If the dev alphas and betas have it, why not Playbooks? But I think it will probably come out within a month or two of Jan 30th. Can be that hard to port it over from handsets to the Playbook, since the kernel already runs on it.
    They can't just slap it on a playbook, throw it over the wall and declare it as job done, they will want to do it properly and right now they will not have the resources they need to do that because improvements and bigfixes for l-series will be top priority and then all the ui changes that still need to be done for n-series after that.
    12-24-12 01:47 PM
    Aww, recently?
    yeah in december
    12-24-12 02:14 PM
    hmmm so many rumours its hard to siphon the facts from the speculation at this point
    12-24-12 04:48 PM
    Welp, sounds like it's time to pick up another playbook!
    I was toying with the idea of doing that as well but I'm waiting to see where the rumours of a 10" end up going. Since I already own a 7", I thought I might be wiser to save the $150 just in case I'm able to put my money towards a 10" IF they do appear since the hardware specs would be newer. If they don't appear, then I can go grab another 7".
    12-24-12 05:14 PM
    hmmm so many rumours its hard to siphon the facts from the speculation at this point
    Agreed, I am just taking in all the info and waiting for Jan 30th.
    12-24-12 07:39 PM
    It will most likely be the BB10 Dev Alpha B OS 10.xxx but on a tablet.
    12-24-12 07:48 PM
    I was toying with the idea of doing that as well but I'm waiting to see where the rumours of a 10" end up going. Since I already own a 7", I thought I might be wiser to save the $150 just in case I'm able to put my money towards a 10" IF they do appear since the hardware specs would be newer. If they don't appear, then I can go grab another 7".
    Smart man, I would love a 10" Playbook but my BB10 phone is the more important purchase at the moment lol
    12-24-12 08:40 PM
    It just occured to me...maybe this is what they're doing with their purchase of LiveProfile??
    If they don't ever plan on taking bbm cross platform, then I personally think u are correct. Never thought about that...
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-24-12 08:46 PM
    The thing is that BB10 has been being built for the tablet along side the phones as well. They won't be taking a phone os and optimizing it for a tablet after the phones launch. I'm quite certain that the tablet version is already there.
    They can't just slap it on a playbook, throw it over the wall and declare it as job done, they will want to do it properly and right now they will not have the resources they need to do that because improvements and bigfixes for l-series will be top priority and then all the ui changes that still need to be done for n-series after that.
    12-25-12 04:50 PM
    The thing is that BB10 has been being built for the tablet along side the phones as well. They won't be taking a phone os and optimizing it for a tablet after the phones launch. I'm quite certain that the tablet version is already there.
    We'll see, but my money is on us not seeing a playbook version this side of the n-series launch, it simply isnt important enough to their bottom line to spend much time on right now.
    12-25-12 09:57 PM
    If they don't ever plan on taking bbm cross platform, then I personally think u are correct. Never thought about that...
    Or, possibly LIve Profile will become the BBM lite, for cross platform use, as was discussed elsewhere.
    spike12 likes this.
    12-26-12 02:00 AM
    We'll see, but my money is on us not seeing a playbook version this side of the n-series launch, it simply isnt important enough to their bottom line to spend much time on right now.
    You are more than likely correct but that is coming from what we can see and not what is happening internally inside RIM. I personally don't believe that we will get a full, working version of BB10 on the Playbook until atleast BlackBerry World (Trust me I want to be wrong and get it earlier) but, I do see how an early sneak peak would get people excited and spreading the word. Think about how many people see the Beta BB10 OS on Dev Alphas and fall in love. There are only a few thousand of those. Putting a Beta version of BB10 on the Playbook could potentially reach 100's of thousands more. That is some pretty amazing potential. That way RIM isn't putting anything out that hasn't been seen and people who have never used a Dev Alpha or seen BB10 up close would get a good look. I saw a very early build in June and although it was only really functional as a developer tool it was still pretty awesome. I was completely sold on it. So because of this, I can see why it could benefit RIM to put that experience into the hands of die hard BlackBerry fans. The download wouldn't be mandatory so only people who knew about it and wanted it would be able to download it because lets face it, not everyone who owns a Playbook is interested in running Beta BB10 but there are enough of us that RIM could see a boost in awareness and hype for the BB10 launch.

That's just my thoughts on it, of course you do have a point, it may not be enough to have any real impact. I am getting the Z10 regardless.
    12-26-12 12:43 PM
    Or, possibly LIve Profile will become the BBM lite, for cross platform use, as was discussed elsewhere.
    I can see BlackBerry Messenger going cross Platform but not as a lite version. Think about it, if iOS, Android, and WP8 have Whatsapp which allows for feature rich cross platform messaging, do you really think that they will want a BBM lite version? I highly doubt it. If BBM goes to other platforms it needs to be competitive. Imagine iPhone users using BBM instead of imessage, that would be a huge success for RIM but that won't happen if they do not give other platforms the same experience. RIM needs to get BlackBerry 10 into as many hands as possible and get the word out how great it is and after people have seen that BlackBerry 10 offers more than just BBM they will have other reasons to leave the platform they are on and choose BB10. Than RIM can start making BBM cross platform and become the dominant messaging client again. With RIM's new management team they are more than qualified to execute something like this and make it work.
    12-26-12 12:51 PM
    That's what Live Profile was originally supposed to be for. If RIM decided to take bbm cross platform, Live Profile would help them do that. I really don't know if I can see it happening now...who knows though. There are WAY to many unanswered questions....1 more month and we should know much more.
    jakie55 likes this.
    12-26-12 11:42 PM
69 123