unless of course, they give the PlayBook bridged phone capabilities...
    even still its not a one handed use device it still requires both hands so the hub may not be there, i really don't know i'm just brainstorming some what if possibilities
    12-23-12 10:44 PM
    The chances of getting bb10 early on playbook are infinitesimally small to non-existent because of that small audience, rim's priorities are on releasing stuff that will earn them money so it goes l-series, n-series and then maybe playbook gets a look in alongside the second wave of bb10 hardware but no sooner than that.
    how do you figure that? just because BB10 will be offered on the playbook does not take sales away from a smartphone device, those lookign for a smartphone with BB10 will still buy it weather they have a playbook that has BB10 or not, they are two different products geared at two different purpouses, as well what about how Apple does their OS update, launchign the update to users before the new product release did that take away sales? i think not
    12-23-12 10:49 PM
    The chances of getting bb10 early on playbook are infinitesimally small to non-existent because of that small audience, rim's priorities are on releasing stuff that will earn them money so it goes l-series, n-series and then maybe playbook gets a look in alongside the second wave of bb10 hardware but no sooner than that.
    a legit point,,, i'm thinking the "have you heard???" effect could have a pretty big impact,,, but i'm also thinking VERY abstractly,,, if the new Rimpire wants to make a splash & (re)gain the interest of those that have been lulled into writing them off, this would be an interesting approach,,, what effect would THAT have on the stock that everyones' so keen (or not) on??? if they wish to re-establish themselves as players it will take some slick marketing/publicity moves in addition to that slick OS...
    12-23-12 10:55 PM
    make sense now why RIM did not put it on PB before and why now. It had to do with carriers and service fee agreements.
    12-23-12 11:43 PM
    Right because putting BlackBerry10 in the hands of 2 million marketers makes no sense.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    12-24-12 02:15 AM
    +1
    12-24-12 02:28 AM
    not really as there are only a million or so ppl w/ playbooks,,, it would generate a ton of interest,,, those committed to the release device have already made up their minds,,, this would give those from other platforms a chance to see it thru their friends, etc. & thereby create a bigger bang on launch,,, a brilliant move really,,, & certainly different than the way it's always been done,,, that coupled w/ the bridge would have ppl clamoring for BB10 AND playbooks,,, everyone is thinking conventionally,,, for a moment, try not to...
    I agree and everyone is thinking RIM would release BB10 prior to January 30. This could be one of the surprises Thor was eluding to. Unveil BB10 on the 30th with the Z10 being available a week later. But release BB10 the same day for the loyal PlayBook owners to generate some buzz. I think this is possible although I would rather have the BB10 phones ASAP
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    12-24-12 06:07 AM
    I think releasing BB10 on the PB prior to the phones being available in stores would be an awful idea. What if the PB version isn't as good as the phone one? Then what? You have a bunch of people saying it's not so great when in truth the phone version could very well be far better than the PB version, but the first impression from the PB will be the one that sticks out. It's a terrible risk to take for the sake of generating buzz, because you're gambling your entire phone launch that it'll be well received on the PB, which is just a small part of your product line! Ugh.
    jagrlover and BB10FTW like this.
    12-24-12 06:52 AM
    I agree. We've been debating this for months, and it just makes no sense to release BB10 on the PBs before the launch of the new devices
    12-24-12 06:59 AM
    This would be great, apart from the fact that aps we use on OS 2 like Conqu, Evernote, etc, will probably take some time to appear for BB10, so it might be that little bit pointless. As well as that, I bought a BlackBerry Curve 9320 recently for BBM and BIS in general, but I don't really want to have a seperate PIN for each device, so I'd probably never use it, I'm happy using my phone's BBM over BlackBerry Bridge.
    12-24-12 07:06 AM
    This would be great, apart from the fact that aps we use on OS 2 like Conqu, Evernote, etc, will probably take some time to appear for BB10, so it might be that little bit pointless. As well as that, I bought a BlackBerry Curve 9320 recently for BBM and BIS in general, but I don't really want to have a seperate PIN for each device, so I'd probably never use it, I'm happy using my phone's BBM over BlackBerry Bridge.
    BB10 bbm does not use PINs. Its bbid from here on out
    jakie55 likes this.
    12-24-12 07:36 AM
    They have had the hardware for the Playbook for awhile and would have been able to optimize it so that it works as well the phones do.

If what is needed for the Playbook to run like the phones have shown is software then when/if they push it out then you have 2M happy customers that will advertise the heck out of it. It has been rumored that RIM will release/reveal a 10" PlayBook and having shown what the tablet could do in a smaller form factor will get people thinking about getting a tablet and a phone especially if there is a deal buy a tablet get a phone.

We also don't know how soon is soon to RIM
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    12-24-12 07:51 AM
    Any chance the little PlayBook update we saw last week was just doing some of the background "prep" work for BBM and/or BB10 on our PlayBooks? Maybe RIM is going to give us a Christmas present after all? Haha... we can dream!
    12-24-12 08:29 AM
    You can definitely dream, haha
    12-24-12 08:31 AM
    Right because putting BlackBerry10 in the hands of 2 million marketers makes no sense.
    I get the marketing angle of it, but there's the issue of "opportunity cost". RIM only has so many resources and operating systems are really, really, really big projects to get done. They've already had to delay BlackBerry 10 several times because of the work involved relative to the resources available to do that work.

In the end, phones are materially impacting to RIM's revenue. The PlayBook is not. It doesn't make sense to dedicated precious, finite resources to doing a PlayBook version first when further delaying the phone version could kill the company. It doesn't matter if PlayBook sales dry up. It does matter if phone sales dry up.

(and I am a PlayBook user)
    12-24-12 08:42 AM
    Welp, sounds like it's time to pick up another playbook!
    12-24-12 08:58 AM
    Welp, sounds like it's time to pick up another playbook!
    if they can be found

on another note i don't think some folks understand that the playbook is out i na smaller form factor, its called the Dev Alpha A, i do believe it is the same hardwares as the playbook with a higher resolution screen and a form of BB10 is already runnign on the Dev Alphas just not an optimized version
    12-24-12 09:15 AM
    if they can be found
    What do you mean if they can be found? There are a ton of them on Amazon where I plan on getting mine thanks to a plethora of gift cards I got for Christmas.
    12-24-12 09:28 AM
    What do you mean if they can be found? There are a ton of them on Amazon where I plan on getting mine thanks to a plethora of gift cards I got for Christmas.
    my girlfriend was lookign all over the place for one to get her brother , she couldn't find them anywhere but she wasn't looking online for them so maybe thats why
    12-24-12 09:32 AM
    my girlfriend was lookign all over the place for one to get her brother , she couldn't find them anywhere but she wasn't looking online for them so maybe thats why
    Yeah I don't think they've been in stores for awhile, but even if they were you could get better deals online anyway.
    12-24-12 09:37 AM
    Yeah I don't think they've been in stores for awhile, but even if they were you could get better deals online anyway.
    Online is wayyyyyyyy better IMO.

We have three stores that have demo units on hand all around $199 for the 16GB model. I picked up a 64GB online new in box for that price.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-24-12 09:45 AM
    Online is wayyyyyyyy better IMO.

We have three stores that have demo units on hand all around $199 for the 16GB model. I picked up a 64GB online new in box for that price.
    Heck yeah. Looks like I'll be picking up a 32gb one for around $160. I went to Best Buy last night for a laptop case and asked if they happened to have any Playbooks laying around in back (they haven't had any on the shelf in months). He said they didn't, and that I wouldn't want one anyway because most were defective. *sigh*
    12-24-12 09:50 AM
    It just occured to me...maybe this is what they're doing with their purchase of LiveProfile??
    spike12 and jakie55 like this.
    12-24-12 11:19 AM
    If the dev alphas and betas have it, why not Playbooks? But I think it will probably come out within a month or two of Jan 30th. Can be that hard to port it over from handsets to the Playbook, since the kernel already runs on it.
    12-24-12 11:30 AM
    the 32GB were on special at staples for $129
    12-24-12 12:28 PM
69 123