Okay, I added some random paragraph breaks for everyone (myself, included). Should be easier to read now.
    Ok I will do a quick copy and paste of this if you don't mind.... Doing all this editing on a playbook can take awhile
    01-10-13 12:03 PM
    Ok I will do a quick copy and paste of this if you don't mind.... Doing all this editing on a playbook can take awhile
    Why don't you get a spell check too while you're at it?
    01-10-13 12:23 PM
    Why don't you get a spell check too while you're at it?
    Really???? U said in your 1st post "NOT reading", this is like the 4th comment u have made to this post, if u r not reading please MOVE on and stop complaining (i bet this is the same type of person who gets upset about ALL CAPS ON) relax its not that serious, like you said u r not going to read it so stop commenting
    01-10-13 12:34 PM
    Really???? U said in your 1st post "NOT reading", this is like the 4th comment u have made to this post,
    Now I don't care who you are, that's funny.

BTW very nice article and now well written. It's amazing what a few spaces can do.
    01-10-13 12:39 PM

It's amazing what a few spaces can do.
    So True
    01-10-13 12:48 PM
    I think that one reason they haven't started advertising on TV etc. is this: if they advertise with "coming soon", people will google and go on to find out what it is. And what will they find? Demos of Dev devices. Those demo's are meant for developers and people already in the know (sort of). Lay person is not likely to learn much from those demos. Those demos are not optimized as short (30-60 second) advertisements.

Most sites have some snippets of Keynote demo and that Keynote was months ago. BB 10 has gotten a lot more polish since then.

So, if they advertise on TV, they'd be forced to create some videos/demos optimized for lay-person using production (final) hardware build and they didn't want to show that yet. They don't want to announce all the apps they have gotten (and are in process of getting). So, my guess, they'll start advertising right after Jan 30 launch (when they no longer care to be secretive).

Developers are still submitting apps for BB 10. I think the deadline for app submission is sometime this week. So, RIM is going to want to show some of these apps in their advertisements. They'd need at least couple of weeks to prepare their advertisements (showing snippets of some selected apps, some key features etc.). So, given that app-submission deadline is this week, it seems like that earliest they can be ready with advertisements etc. will be last week of January to first week of February.
    magutwit likes this.
    01-10-13 12:56 PM
    I will comment as much as I want. Deal with it.
    01-10-13 12:57 PM
    I think that one reason they haven't started advertising on TV etc. is this: if they advertise with "coming soon", people will google and go on to find out what it is. And what will they find? Demos of Dev devices. Those demo's are meant for developers and people already in the know (sort of). Lay person is not likely to learn much from those demos. Those demos are not optimized as short (30-60 second) advertisements.

Most sites have some snippets of Keynote demo and that Keynote was months ago. BB 10 has gotten a lot more polish since then.

So, if they advertise on TV, they'd be forced to create some videos/demos optimized for lay-person using production (final) hardware build and they didn't want to show that yet. They don't want to announce all the apps they have gotten (and are in process of getting). So, my guess, they'll start advertising right after Jan 30 launch (when they no longer care to be secretive).
    Good point. Thanks for ur input.. Makes sense
    01-10-13 01:01 PM
    Good point. Thanks for ur input.. Makes sense
    I added this to my original post:
    Developers are still submitting apps for BB 10. I think the deadline for app submission is sometime this week. So, RIM is going to want to show some of these apps in their advertisements. They'd need at least couple of weeks to prepare their advertisements (showing snippets of some selected apps, some key features etc.). So, given that app-submission deadline is this week, it seems like that earliest they can be ready with advertisements etc. will be last week of January to first week of February.
    01-10-13 01:02 PM
    Thanks op good post. Eye test or not I read the entire post and agree with every word. Wish the BlackBerry marketing team had a quarter of your passion and vision.
    Thank you
    You guys are talking through your proverbial hats.

This is yet another thread complaining "Ohhhh! RIM should be doing more!!! They're not doing enough!!" To say that the BlackBerry marketing team "lacks passion" is an insult.

You guys need to get it through your skulls: Blackberry is a damaged brand in the US right now. "Pre-advertising" is not going to help; people will just roll their eyes and say "yeah, right... like THIS will be different..."

When you're in the position that RIM is in, you can't market top down. With a brand that needs rehabilitating, the best marketing you can get is word of mouth (or "bottom-up"). How do you get word of mouth? First, you build a quality, appealing product (which BB10 is). Give it exclusive features (like the wicked keyboard and time-shift camera). And--most importantly these days--GET A GOOD APP CATALOG.

RIM has been spending its money getting developers on board. They've traveled all over the world evangelizing this product and getting people to buy-in. THAT is the most effective use of their money, not vague "teaser" ads that just promote a brand that for many is a dead horse right now.
    01-10-13 01:19 PM
    Its ok I graduated from the Evelyn Woodhead Sped reding class
    Blacklatino likes this.
    01-10-13 02:12 PM
    You know guys I really feel like this guy Attachment 130745

But instead of chocolates I scream BB10!!!!
    I all upset every day with Kevin, he is doing a terrible job in CES, he is not showing anything from QNX, the site sucks right now, there are not leaks or new information.. just the same and the same
    I'm going to be the first in line but this waiting is making me angry, I couldn't take a breath, this is just silly waiting...
    C'mon RIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
    Do you want a job?
    01-10-13 02:23 PM
    Explain the lack of social media interest, the not responding to tweets?, the lack of emails being sent out?, the retweets they are doing from crackberry? They are missing out my friend.. Social media is BIG and the old folks are yet to realize this.
    01-10-13 02:59 PM
    Explain the lack of social media interest, the not responding to tweets?, the lack of emails being sent out?, the retweets they are doing from crackberry? They are missing out my friend.. Social media is BIG and the old folks are yet to realize this.
    I don't know who you're following, but I'm seeing all kinds of social media engagement from RIM.
    01-10-13 03:17 PM
    You guys are talking through your proverbial hats.

This is yet another thread complaining "Ohhhh! RIM should be doing more!!! They're not doing enough!!" To say that the BlackBerry marketing team "lacks passion" is an insult.

You guys need to get it through your skulls: Blackberry is a damaged brand in the US right now. "Pre-advertising" is not going to help; people will just roll their eyes and say "yeah, right... like THIS will be different..."

When you're in the position that RIM is in, you can't market top down. With a brand that needs rehabilitating, the best marketing you can get is word of mouth (or "bottom-up"). How do you get word of mouth? First
    1st u need to start interacting with your customers. My point is the BIG lack of communication on a daily basis.. FB and Twitter they need to be more vocal. If u ran a marketing business urself u would understand, I might just see another point, but I'm not trying to bash, just wish I could see a change in that department
    01-10-13 03:48 PM
    1st u need to start interacting with your customers. My point is the BIG lack of communication on a daily basis.. FB and Twitter they need to be more vocal. If u ran a marketing business urself u would understand, I might just see another point, but I'm not trying to bash, just wish I could see a change in that department
    I agree, I have noticed that although BB/RIM uses twitter there is not a whole lot of 2-way interaction between them and tweeple! I think this is why: tweeps are always asking about BB 10 (is xyz app going to be available?) and RIM has to be somewhat tight-lipped about it. I expect interaction level to go way up post-launch date.
    01-10-13 03:51 PM
    just how many tweets a day do you want to see from them on their 4-5 twitter accounts?
    01-10-13 03:55 PM
    just how many tweets a day do you want to see from them on their 4-5 twitter accounts?
    Some of my friends manage to make 25+ tweets in their typical day and they are not full-time employed to monitor and tweet. RIM (probably) has a team of marketing folks dedicated to social media and tweeting is their full-time job!

So, few generic tweets (addressed to nobody in particular) and many reply-tweets is what I am hoping for (post-launch, not right now).

"reply-tweets" = when you tweet to BlackBerry and BlackBerry replies to your tweet. I expect them to engage with (and reply to) as many (reasonable) tweets as they can!
    01-10-13 04:02 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry is going for a mass consumer audience right off the bat, and I don't think it's an effective use of its marketing dollars to do so. They've spent a lot of time, effort, and money to retain their enterprise market and to gain mindshare among developers.

Part of the problem: BB10 doesn't look radically different than other mobile operating systems. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Oh, BB10 just rips off Android/iOS/WebOS". It isn't the look of this device that's going to sell it, it's the experience. They actually did "sell the experience" with a high profile ad buy on the New York Times website a few weeks ago, where they took over the site and gave users the chance to navigate through it with a Hub-like interface.

The best, most effective marketing campaign RIM could hope to have is to get as much word-of-mouth as possible. That's not going to be able to really kick into gear until the community can get its hands on phones, and start using them, and start smugly showing our friends and family just how cool they are. Gimmicky "teaser" campaigns will not help build buzz.
    01-10-13 04:07 PM
    I know way too many
    "I'm never getting a BlackBerry"
    "Why not?"
    "Because it's a BlackBerry".

or

"I'm never getting another BlackBerry"

"Why Not?"

"Because my iPhone has games and iMessage"

people, but i agree, we need better marketing. that being said i've walked into my carriers store and asked people if they would like to watch a short video about an OS to be released on or around January 30th, i will have it prebuffered on my PlayBook, with the title hidden. I then show them the keynote sneak peek and see if they have any interest, if they do, i show them some more on the carriers playbook(connected to the stores WiFi, so faster internet) and get opinions.

i've had a few "Wow, that's cool!" "It's BlackBerry 10, RIM's new operating system" "Oh, eww no thanks" people, but the majority likes it and considers it for a bit, the male service rep understands why i'm doing it, but he's not happy about it. the female rep is a former BB user, who's gone iOS for convenience, and she has no issue with me as long as i don't stop people from buying/doing what they came here to do.
    01-10-13 04:08 PM
    Some of my friends manage to make 25+ tweets in their typical day and they are not full-time employed to monitor and tweet. RIM (probably) has a team of marketing folks dedicated to social media and tweeting is their full-time job!

So, few generic tweets (addressed to nobody in particular) and many reply-tweets is what I am hoping for (post-launch, not right now).

"reply-tweets" = when you tweet to BlackBerry and BlackBerry replies to your tweet. I expect them to engage with (and reply to) as many (reasonable) tweets as they can!
    and there is the key, post launch. I am sure you will their accounts light up strong after launch. But right now officially there is nothing to really talk about. The real stuff comes on the 30th when everything is revealed and can actually be shown and talked about
    01-10-13 04:18 PM
    The fact that the media has just about done a complete 'about face' after bashing RIM for two years isn't evidence of that? Or the fact that they've gone to the ends of the earth to market to developers with events ewhen they never used to? How about waiting until the launch to see what the marketing team does when the product is actually available?

Seriously dude ... knock off the armchair marketing guru stuff. Or send Thorsten a letter telling him you're 'far more knowledgeable than that clown Boulben and should be running the show".
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-10-13 04:48 PM
    Like I said they went home on the weekend...tweeted on Friday and nothing till Monday, Really? Social Media is up 24/7
    01-10-13 04:59 PM
    Like I said they went home on the weekend...tweeted on Friday and nothing till Monday, Really? Social Media is up 24/7
    100% agree. The answering tweets should not be taking weekend or holiday breaks
    Jonathank likes this.
    01-10-13 05:00 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry is going for a mass consumer audience right off the bat, and I don't think it's an effective use of its marketing dollars to do so. They've spent a lot of time, effort, and money to retain their enterprise market and to gain mindshare among developers.

Part of the problem: BB10 doesn't look radically different than other mobile operating systems. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Oh, BB10 just rips off Android/iOS/WebOS". It isn't the look of this device that's going to sell it, it's the experience. They actually did "sell the experience" with a high profile ad buy on the New York Times website a few weeks ago, where they took over the site and gave users the chance to navigate through it with a Hub-like interface.

The best, most effective marketing campaign RIM could hope to have is to get as much word-of-mouth as possible. That's not going to be able to really kick into gear until the community can get its hands on phones, and start using them, and start smugly showing our friends and family just how cool they are. Gimmicky "teaser" campaigns will not help build buzz.
    I see your point my friend, but when I saw BlackBerry go home on Friday and not log back in till Monday as if this is a 9-5 job that's what prompted me to write this (when Kevin is board and not working he will think of something to post to keep us entertained) I just think they are missing in that part. U made some good points,..... I am a die hard BB fan and don't want BB10 to fail that's why this was written.... Enjoy your BlackBerry 10
    01-10-13 05:11 PM
53 123