Ok, thanks for answering this - If I understand this correctly the Samsung galaxy s3 and every other droid...
    ...Can use Google maps because they can all read Java.
    ...Like the iphone can read Java?

Is the Netflix app java based as well and that's why it will not work on a Blackberry Product?
    No, no, no...

Its only the current, EOLed BBOS7 that uses Java. No other modern smartphone OS uses it.

The Android Google Maps apss as well as the iOS Google Maps app are both native. If Google would make one for BBOS10 (That's a big if) it would also need to be native.

The browser version would sill be a semi viable option though...
    10-04-12 09:47 AM
    No, no, no...

Its only the current, EOLed BBOS7 that uses Java. No other modern smartphone OS uses it.

The Android Google Maps apss as well as the iOS Google Maps app are both native. If Google would make one for BBOS10 (That's a big if) it would also need to be native.

No, no, no...

Android apps are mostly written in Java.

Of course this is completely irrelevant to a discussion about maps, Google's or anyone else's.
    10-04-12 11:04 AM
    You appear to be confusing GPS functionality with mapping data and the Apple maps app. There is nothing wrong with the IPhone GPS or the Apple Maps app. The problem is with the data.

BMW forums are full if complaints about the TeleAtlas data.
    Nothing wrong with the Data. TomTom uses that exact same data that they gave Apple & yet their Nav Apps don't have underwater museums ect.

I agree about the search. I think BB traffic is excellent once you have your destination. The search is very finicky though. It requires too exact an entry. Not flexible enough.
    Yea having to have the EXACT address is annoying....
    10-04-12 04:07 PM
    No, no, no...

Android apps are written in JavaSCRIPT. Big difference.

I don't blame or fault you for confusing the two though. God only knows why they chose two names that are so similar, for two unrelated and different products.

But yes, irrelevant to Maps. Well mostly.
    10-05-12 01:38 AM
    3D would sometimes be helpful. At least give people with good data plans the option to enjoy 3D maps.

Google Street View images is hugely helpful if you're in an unfamiliar area. It's too bad RIM didn't come to some sort of agreement with Google to use their maps, especially after seeing the iOS6 map fiasco. Sometimes licensing the content from those who do it best is the best way to make your product desirable.
    10-05-12 01:54 AM
    No, no, no...

Android apps are mostly written in Java.

Of course this is completely irrelevant to a discussion about maps, Google's or anyone else's.
    No, no, no...

No, no, no...

I don't blame or fault you for confusing the two though. God only knows why they chose two names that are so similar, for two unrelated and different products.

Lol you guys...

Android apps can be written in Java, C++ or java script
    Java apps are the ones that may be possible to side load onto the Playbook
    C++ apps are the Native apps that can't be side loaded, ie. the good apps.
    JavaScript apps tend to be the crappy ones that look and act just like a web page

BBOS 7 can run Java or JavaScript apps only, and only a very limited subset of libraries are available.
    BB10 should be able to use Java, C++ and JavaScript
    10-05-12 07:43 AM
    Lol you guys...

JavaScript apps tend to be the crappy ones that look and act just like a web page

BBOS 7 can run Java or JavaScript apps only, and only a very limited subset of libraries are available.
    It may be possible to write a JavaScript app for Android using some kind of cross platform tool or a web container but it is not native to the platform.

Android does support C and C++ development via the NDK but this does not provide access to all the platform APIs.
    10-05-12 10:24 AM
    No, no, no...

Nonsense, they are mostly written in Java.
    10-05-12 10:25 AM
    Nothing wrong with the Data. TomTom uses that exact same data that they gave Apple & yet their Nav Apps don't have underwater museums ect.
    Are you sure about that? I am not. Tom Tom data is worse than Google or Nokia.

That said, all map databases contain serious errors, even Google's.
    10-05-12 10:28 AM
    Lol you guys...

So BB10 should have zero issues with running Google Maps then!
    ..That's great news if it holds out to be true!
    ...RIM needs to deliver the cream of the crop on their new phone.

And if they expect their tablets to interest people in buying Blackberry phones.....
    ..Then those tablets damn sure better be able to use the level 101 stuff that everyone elses talblets can use.
    ...And that means Netflix and Skype!
    10-05-12 02:42 PM
    I love BB traffic, and now that maps are added I think I'll love it more! 3D would eat data, and could slow it down, I'm happy that the maps will be 2D, it'll look good and hopefully work just as well as it already does (or better)
    10-05-12 06:56 PM
    I agree with most on here that function over eye fluff is better. You want 3d use google earth.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    10-05-12 07:06 PM
    So BB10 should have zero issues with running Google Maps then!
    ..That's great news if it holds out to be true!
    ...RIM needs to deliver the cream of the crop on their new phone.

And if they expect their tablets to interest people in buying Blackberry phones.....
    ..Then those tablets damn sure better be able to use the level 101 stuff that everyone elses talblets can use.
    ...And that means Netflix and Skype!
    It's not a question of whether or not BB10 "can" run google maps, it's a question of if Google will develop google maps for BB10.
    Just because a piece of software is written in a particular language, doesn't make it instantly compatible with a different platform.
    10-05-12 07:20 PM
    10-05-12 08:52 PM
    Thank you! Now that was bad 'north end of a cow headed south'! We need more of this type of stuff getting out.....
    ...There is enough people upset at Apple for their map stunt to make it worth while to RIM to get the word out Google will still work on Blackberries!
    10-06-12 12:27 AM
    Thank you! Now that was bad 'north end of a cow headed south'! We need more of this type of stuff getting out.....
    ...There is enough people upset at Apple for their map stunt to make it worth while to RIM to get the word out Google will still work on Blackberries!
    It's a sideloaded Android app, not a native app. There's a big difference. Just using maps.google.com on the browser would probably be better for basic mapping.
    10-06-12 01:14 AM
    I have 3D on my built-in car nav. The first thing I did was learn how to put it in 2D mode. I hate 3D maps.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    10-06-12 02:38 AM
    oh wow, this is surprising, i side-loaded the same maps on the PB , it actually works too check my the link below

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ork-pb-748528/
    10-06-12 06:08 AM
    Just give me an avoid tolls function, and I'm a happy camper.
    10-06-12 09:14 AM
94 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD