Android, Helped by China, to Dominate Smartphone Market Into 2017 - Mobile and Wireless - News & Reviews - eWeek.com

RIM CEO Thorsten Heins, answering questions from the press at RIMs BlackBerry World 2012 event May 2, said that RIM has built a localization team to deal with country-specific adaptations. Plus, he saidgiving away another secret about RIMs unreleased BlackBerry 10 platformnew BlackBerry 10 handsets feature keyboard software so smart that they quickly detect what a users native language is.
    05-03-12 04:27 PM
    Not surprising since it's pretty much known that the new keyboard is built on/by SwiftKey. They've been doing this for a while now with their keyboards.
    05-03-12 04:37 PM
  3. T
    Well, I hope it doesn't get confused. I usually write in English, but I sometimes write in Estonian. I hold down a letter, like "o" and scroll the trackpad to make a letter like "".

I can also make these four special letters, , on my ThinkPad by switching the language bar to Estonian, but after typing the special letter I need when I need it, I switch it back to English even when writing in Estonian. The language bar changes the entire keyboard to the Estonian layout. A lot of the number-shift/symbol keys end up in different locations, and I don't have them memorized. I do realize a virtual keyboard might even visibly change to another language's layout, and that's probably a wonderful benefit of it, but I'm not sure that for me that one benefit would outweigh all the other benefits of the physical keyboard.
    05-03-12 07:48 PM
    I speak three languages and this might become a pain in the arse because I switch languages depending on the person I'm speaking with. :S It already is on my PlayBook. Word suggestions and corrections are "contaminated". Spanish, English and French. Oh dear.
    05-04-12 01:28 AM
  5. T
    ^Not good. I don't care what anyone says, this technology just isn't advanced far enough. It's like the voice dialing. "Call Jaan!" "Did you say, 'Call Ian?'" No. "Did you say, 'Call Jan?'" No. "Did you say, 'Call John?'" No! What we're left with in such situations is a mess, like Google Translate.
    05-04-12 07:40 AM
    Really cool. It detects native language...

This is why they had to come-out with an all-touch device first. They can start selling this phone around the world right-away
    05-04-12 07:51 AM
    I speak three languages and this might become a pain in the arse because I switch languages depending on the person I'm speaking with. :S It already is on my PlayBook. Word suggestions and corrections are "contaminated". Spanish, English and French. Oh dear.
    I have to think that RIM has considered this, and has a solution in mind.

^Not good. I don't care what anyone says, this technology just isn't advanced far enough. It's like the voice dialing. "Call Jaan!" "Did you say, 'Call Ian?'" No. "Did you say, 'Call Jan?'" No. "Did you say, 'Call John?'" No! What we're left with in such situations is a mess, like Google Translate.
    Ah. So because you're not impressed with Google Translate, RIM should avoid that type of technology. Here's an idea: let's see the finished product before we decide what technology can or cannot do, especially since what RIM showed this week was an alpha build.
    05-04-12 07:51 AM
    I understand what you're saying, and I by no means have any experience with any other language aside from English, but I just feel that saying that doesn't leave any room for innovation. A lot of these new goodies that have been shown are beyond what I expected in the sense of how innovative and fresh they are. Maybe I'm being blinded by fanboyism on my part, but I personally think this will be the next level of what we've already seen because in a way... It needs to be. This is of course just my opinion!
    05-04-12 07:56 AM
    I understand what you're saying, and I by no means have any experience with any other language aside from English, but I just feel that saying that doesn't leave any room for innovation. A lot of these new goodies that have been shown are beyond what I expected in the sense of how innovative and fresh they are. Maybe I'm being blinded by fanboyism on my part, but I personally think this will be the next level of what we've already seen because in a way... It needs to be. This is of course just my opinion!
    As I said in another post, I do hope that RIM continues to look at what developers are doing (across all platforms) and partnering with the ones it feels would benefit their new OS.

It takes a lot of digging, but if you want to really see what types of things are being developed and are possible, spend (a lot of) time digging through the Play Store (formerly the Android Market), as well as the Chrome (browser) Web Store. There are a lot of great ideas, some of which have gained a lot of traction, and others that haven't gained much for one reason or another. And, I don't spend as much time over there, but I'm sure that the iOS and Mac equivalents have some of the same type of stuff (although undoubtedly less, since iOS is far more locked down than Android). It takes time, as there is a ton of product and a ton of bad product, but there are hidden jewels and hints at what is to come.
    05-04-12 08:12 AM
    Maybe I'm being a bit dim, but where is the innovation in a bought in camera app and a re-skinned licensed android keyboard?

Sensible licensing but is it innovation?
    05-04-12 08:25 AM
    What would be the advantage to this? To avoid an input screen for language? Seems like a lot of work to bypass one setup screen...
    05-04-12 08:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD