UK sales of the new generation of BlackBerry smartphones have been better than expected with one model already selling out, the company's chief executive has said.
    Thorsten Heins hailed the success of his company's latest devices and said he is confident that Blackberry can make up ground lost to Apple and Android.
    The new phones were launched in the UK just last week, after excruciating delays allowed Apple, Samsung and others to build commanding leads in the industry.

Mr Heins said a substantial number of UK users are moving from other platforms to BlackBerry and said that is an encouraging sign because they first targeted long-time BlackBerry users.
    'It's beyond expectations,' he said. 'White is sold out already. The black is hard to stock up again. It's very encouraging.
    'I won't share the number because I need to verify it, but we are getting a substantial number of users moving from other platforms to BlackBerry. That is an interesting data point.'
    Read more: BlackBerry 10 a hit: CEO says UK launch of new-gen phones 'beyond expectations' | Mail Online

Posted without comment - make your own
    02-05-13 02:56 PM
    looking really good. Stock is back up at $16, i bet a lot of nervous people are pretty pissed. my uncle sold A LOT at $15
    02-05-13 03:09 PM
    A word of warning, The z10 was always going to do well in the UK. Its their best market!
    It will be interesting to see the figures though.
    I read somewhere that its possible that the zed 10 had a better release then the lumia 920, which if actually true will be good news indeed
    02-05-13 03:21 PM
    That's a very strong statement.
    02-05-13 03:23 PM
    A word of warning, The z10 was always going to do well in the UK. Its their best market!
    It will be interesting to see the figures though.
    I read somewhere that its possible that the zed 10 had a better release then the lumia 920, which if actually true will be good news indeed
    Carriers in teh UK pretty much said that. Not better though. They said the Z10 is hands down blowing away the sales that the Lumina initially had.
    02-05-13 03:29 PM
    Carriers in teh UK pretty much said that. Not better though. They said the Z10 is hands down blowing away the sales that the Lumina initially had.
    Thats good, as the 920 sales for Nokia were a turning point in the right direction for them
    02-05-13 03:48 PM
    UP UP UP!!!!!!

I regretted buying $1400 at $15.20, and my initial investment of $600 at $12.70 isn't doing poorly either. I stuck it out during the drop, but we shall see .

I would love to see 5 million sold before the end of Q4. HAH!
    02-05-13 03:51 PM
    5 million by end of Q4 would be incredible for the stock.
    02-05-13 06:16 PM
  9. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    just a fantastic sign that people are really excited to get the new bb Z10! ... and many are from platforms other than blackberry! ... got mine today! just love it!!!
    Masahiro likes this.
    02-05-13 06:21 PM
    WHAT is going on?

"BlackBerry 10: shops deny claims by Thorsten Heins that Z10 phones are selling out"

BlackBerry 10: shops deny claims by Thorsten Heins that Z10 phones are selling out - Telegraph
    02-06-13 11:34 AM
    WHAT is going on?

"BlackBerry 10: shops deny claims by Thorsten Heins that Z10 phones are selling out"

BlackBerry 10: shops deny claims by Thorsten Heins that Z10 phones are selling out - Telegraph
    It's called propaganda from apple and google. There is enough analysts and even personal account that this info is on outright lie. You have articles saying that Canadian sale are not as good as claimed and I have been calling stores all over Toronto and talking to friends from around Canada the story remains the same SOLD OUT...waiting list or back ordered for the top three carriers. I have never seen a more biased media for any other company. Make no mistake who is fitting the bill for these lies.
    digitalman101 likes this.
    02-06-13 01:34 PM
    Easy to be more stock, they probably had another delivery since launch.
    02-06-13 02:05 PM
    It's called propaganda from apple and google. There is enough analysts and even personal account that this info is on outright lie. You have articles saying that Canadian sale are not as good as claimed and I have been calling stores all over Toronto and talking to friends from around Canada the story remains the same SOLD OUT...waiting list or back ordered for the top three carriers. I have never seen a more biased media for any other company. Make no mistake who is fitting the bill for these lies.
    nope you are wrong! The article only mentions one shop. Phones4U.
    Phones4U probably have stock still because they push their customers to the most expensive sale they can make. The z10 isnt too far from the iPhone 5 price point so go figure.
    Nothing to do with Apple paying for propaganda but everything to do with Phones4U trying to sell their expensive iPhones 5 before they drop in price.

another point, is i know a lot of people who avoid phones4u purely because they are pushy. They have to be, their wages depends on their commission they make
    02-06-13 02:14 PM
    BlackBerry 10: A show-stopping debut for a new operating system and handset - Features - Gadgets & Tech - The Independent

Hear that whooshing noise? It's the sound of countless IT
    directors punching the air. BlackBerry 10 is here. After long months of
    anticipation, BlackBerry is back in business, it hopes.
    02-12-13 08:08 AM
    This is a lie blackberry is not selling out in the UK. Only WP is selling out.

This all a conspiracy against BlackBerry. You fanboys are crazy.

Thought i would save whitecap and njblackberry the trouble of posting. You're welcome.
    Dapper37 and Bobcat665 like this.
    02-12-13 08:22 AM
    BlackBerry 10: A show-stopping debut for a new operating system and handset - Features - Gadgets & Tech - The Independent

Hear that whooshing noise? It's the sound of countless IT
    directors punching the air. BlackBerry 10 is here. After long months of
    anticipation, BlackBerry is back in business, it hopes.

The company’s problems began when BYOD became fashionable. If you don’t know this abbreviation, BYOD stands for Bring Your Own Device. This refers to the phenomenon where staff lobbied their employers to be allowed to use their own iPhone or Samsung Galaxy III, say, for work. The bean counters cheered – we don’t have to buy our staff BlackBerry handsets any more, they thought – but Chief Information Officers reeled as they realised the security implications. BlackBerry may not have had the sexiest operating system or endless apps, but the security was exceptional. Now companies found themselves supporting lots of different smartphones and tablets.

So part of the intention of BlackBerry 10 and the new Z10 handset which went on sale within hours of the launch is to win back those people who deserted for Apple and Android.

BlackBerry has a key advantage. It makes both hardware and software – only Apple matches this – so it can ensure that everything works together perfectly. It means design of hardware and software are sympathetic and well-integrated.

The design of the Z10 makes clear it is a consumer phone. It even looks a bit like a bigger iPhone 5 with its flat back and front and curved corners. The screen is a little bigger – 4.2ins – and the resolution is noticeably higher than Apple’s Retina display. It looks pin-sharp and detailed. Especially good for video.

Although it’s big, it feels good in the hand and is easy to use. There’s no home button as there is on the iPhone. To wake the screen, you don’t need to press a power button. With BlackBerry 10, it’s all about gesture. Swipe up the screen to wake it – it feels more intimate and satisfying than other systems.

Once awake, it is noticeably different software from rivals – which may mean would-be purchasers trying it briefly instore find it too unfamiliar. There’s definitely a learning curve here, but after a relatively brief period of uncertainty I found it intuitive and straightforward.

Key to this is the Hub, a place where you can find all the latest emails alongside your calendar appointments, Facebook messages, Twitter mentions and LinkedIn notifications. Wherever you are on the phone, whatever you’re doing, the Hub is always there, just out of sight. Swipe up and to the right and the Hub appears, even if you’re playing video, say. Check if there is anything you need to see and if not swipe back to your video. The key difference from Apple, say, is that you don’t need to leave the app you’re using to Peek (as BlackBerry calls it) at the Hub.

BlackBerry is strong on multi-tasking – there’s no home screen in the recognised sense but there’s a screen which shows active apps. And its skill with multiple apps running simultaneously. It showed this on its severely underrated tablet, the PlayBook.

BlackBerry Balance is a key feature if you’re a business user on the Enterprise service. It effectively divides your phone in two, so you can’t mix work and personal information. If you’re in personal mode you can’t even see your work emails, let alone accidentally copy business-critical information into a personal message or Facebook. Those IT directors will cheer for this, too.

But the success of the Z10 will largely rest on winning back those customers who fled for the gorgeous hardware and exceptional user interface of the iPhone or fancied the range of phones running Android. The task is tougher here, though at least BlackBerry has 70,000 apps available on day one. This is a remarkable achievement and is many ways is enough to be going on with. Apple and Android have over 700,000 apps each, but the number of jewels is much lower. Even so, there are gaps among those available despite the presence of popular names like Skype and Angry Birds.

The camera is a crowd-pleaser. The 8MP sensor is efficient and there are features like TimeShift. This is clever. It shoots multiple images quickly and saves them all. Then you can mix and match elements from different shots to create the best result. So if one person’s blinking in the first shot and another looks best in the fourth, you can make this work.

It’s great. But is it enough? We’ll know in a few months, when BlackBery has released its second handset with a physical QWERTY keyboard to appeal to BlackBerry loyalists (though the virtual keyboard here is spectacularly good with suggestions of the next word as you finish the last one).

Meantime, this is a show-stopping debut for a new operating system and handset.
    02-12-13 08:40 AM
    This is a lie blackberry is not selling out in the UK. Only WP is selling out.

This all a conspiracy against BlackBerry. You fanboys are crazy.

Thought i would save whitecap and njblackberry the trouble of posting. You're welcome.
    Huh? Sources?
    02-12-13 08:47 AM
    Well, my own experience (based on wanting to have a play with one) was that Carphone Warehouse didn't have any in London when I asked, except for the Selfridges branch, and a couple of Phones4U had sold out. Hardly scientific, but the lads behind the counter said they'd had an awful lot of interest about it.
    02-12-13 09:03 AM
    nope you are wrong! The article only mentions one shop. Phones4U.
    Phones4U probably have stock still because they push their customers to the most expensive sale they can make. The z10 isnt too far from the iPhone 5 price point so go figure.
    Nothing to do with Apple paying for propaganda but everything to do with Phones4U trying to sell their expensive iPhones 5 before they drop in price.

another point, is i know a lot of people who avoid phones4u purely because they are pushy. They have to be, their wages depends on their commission they make
    I guess it was you that was wrong!
    02-12-13 09:05 AM
    I guess it was you that was wrong!
    technically no. wasnt selling out in all phones4u shops.

and can anyone explain why price of a black z10 has jumped to 550 in phones4u only but appears to have remained at 480 everywhere else?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    02-12-13 09:41 AM
    I think a little caution is due here. You have to look at the words the CEO is using because he of course can't say, "boy I was hoping for more" and he can't give out a number if its not true, or not considered large. So he goes to the Corp Spin Meister located at BB Marketing and says what's the words. They find that most of the operators in Canada and the UK have had to reorder. It could be because the phones are selling like hotcakes as we say, or, the initial orders were small either because the providers were not optimistic enough about demand - or because they decided to go small initially to give the phone a "must have" status that competes with the iPhone. The latter allows the bosses at CarPhone Warehouse to tell the world they have sold out blah blah blah.

"Beyond expectations" has a lot of meanings in the Corp spin world - probably equally 50/50 good and bad. One thing you can be sure of, when the numbers are impressive, you will hear them (I bet you know how many iPhones were sold on opening weekend - for example).

In the end there should be no trouble at all getting enough phones really - where are the phones that would have come to the USA that now don't have to be here for another month or so. Why miss sales when you have phones to sell?
    02-12-13 01:36 PM
    I think a little caution is due here. You have to look at the words the CEO is using because he of course can't say, "boy I was hoping for more" and he can't give out a number if its not true, or not considered large. So he goes to the Corp Spin Meister located at BB Marketing and says what's the words. They find that most of the operators in Canada and the UK have had to reorder. It could be because the phones are selling like hotcakes as we say, or, the initial orders were small either because the providers were not optimistic enough about demand - or because they decided to go small initially to give the phone a "must have" status that competes with the iPhone. The latter allows the bosses at CarPhone Warehouse to tell the world they have sold out blah blah blah.

"Beyond expectations" has a lot of meanings in the Corp spin world - probably equally 50/50 good and bad. One thing you can be sure of, when the numbers are impressive, you will hear them (I bet you know how many iPhones were sold on opening weekend - for example).

In the end there should be no trouble at all getting enough phones really - where are the phones that would have come to the USA that now don't have to be here for another month or so. Why miss sales when you have phones to sell?
    any number that comes in below an Apple like number will get spun by the analysts into oblivion, and they will never get an Apple like number,
    so all they can say is its going great, giving numbers for Blackberry is a no win proposition.....
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    02-12-13 01:43 PM
    I'm less interested in the 'sell out quotes' without knowing the inventory, though every retailer I've spoken with has said it's been selling well.

Ditto for 'beyond expectations' if the forecast is bad.

The most encouraging news for me is the 'selling better than previous BlackBerrys" by ____ %. That's moving in the right direction.
    02-12-13 01:45 PM
    WHAT is going on?
    Can you please guys remove this link ?
    02-12-13 01:51 PM
    Great post OP. I enjoy reading it
    02-12-13 02:12 PM
29 12