All valid points...love the smooth pitch he delivers his story though, something to be said about how one explains their product or dream...well done indeed!
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-02-13 06:45 PM
    Zzzzzzzzzzzz..........
    01-02-13 06:50 PM
    I see it going no where..ubuntu has been a tech enthusiast OS but for smartphones it is a different story unlike desktops which you can't build your own or buy a barebone phone, why would anyone license it when there are so many well established names already backing popular open source projects like Android and open WebOS etc..again these companies has some solid patents to defend themselves
    Last edited by sf49ers; 01-02-13 at 07:44 PM.
    01-02-13 06:57 PM
    This looks like something I could actually get behind. I mean as much as I like Jelly Bean, I could see myself flashing this over it and using it as my daily driver. Comparing Ubuntu to BB10, it actually seems much more thoughtful with much more robust systems for launching, switching and interacting with apps. Though BB10, unlike Ubuntu, is actually coming to market soon whereas Ubuntu may or may not come at some point in 2014. Hopefully the images don't take too long...
    01-02-13 07:18 PM
    BB10 will be available in a month, and RIM is focusing on Mobile computing with the BB10 platform. I much prefer the flexibility with security certifications that the QNX micro-kernel is bringing to RIM over a Monolithic kernel that would need to be re-certified with each compiled build like what you have with iOS, Android, and this Ubuntu OS.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-02-13 08:03 PM
    I like this, the possibility/likelihood of having multiple innovative mobile platforms available on the market, it will make companies strive to innovate and evolve, pushing the boundaries of mobile computing.

On one hand you have RIM, with lots of experience with security and mobile, with a powerful base in QNX. On the other, you have Ubuntu with a good desktop product, yet no mobile experience (correct me if I am wrong, don't be afraid). I like where things are headed, who ever solidifies the other side of their software (desktop vs mobile) may have the advantage.

I just hope they don't make things too complicated. With the addition of gestures, it seems like it could get easy to make things hard to navigate. I like what RIM has done so far, not too complicated but efficient, and it will only get better.
    01-02-13 11:38 PM
    Ubuntu is seeing the light too ! I for one can't wait to see BB10 in its multitude of uses soon!
    01-03-13 01:27 AM
    Sounds like a good Droid replacement and a place for Apple people to go. It also sounds like a natural ally for Blackberry. Blackberry Handsets and Messaging Integration with Ubuntu's Computer and networking integration. Apple will continue to try and fleece people with white headphones, Branding, and matching underpants until their corp exec's can't milk it any longer. Droids? Windows Phones? They should already be full steam ahead on this stuff but don't seem to be very serious about it, kinda like Apple, too many exec's milking and not innovativing.

Blackberry & Ubuntu FTW
    01-03-13 01:45 AM
    Saw the hands on engadget or verge same sh1t different name.My thoughts remain the same as initial I'll pass.

Its not slick for me its messy to much touch and glied crap its got that messy jolla style hold and glide ends up like a touchscreen game.I just dont see it as functional for getting in and out of stuff like I want.I want that quick response and quick excution of task.Rubbing up.down,left,right like its some sonic cheat code is not the one for ,e.

RIMs remix of web os,PB,harmattan/meego UI still the best excution of gestures i have seen.
    01-03-13 09:13 AM
    It's very interesting, Ubuntu phone can be connected to a docking station in your work or home and you can run the complete Ubuntu Desktop with openoffice, etc.. Disconnect it and you have a normal smartphone, and access to the information with UI optimized for a phone.
    "One ring to rule them all". I think this is the future. Ubuntu starting from the begining with this idea can have an advantage in the coming years.
    01-03-13 12:12 PM
    its another Linux based of like android, i persoanlly would think ubuntu will have an advantage as even their desktop OS has always been the most user friendly of the Linux OS family so it might have an advantage come mobile
    Linux for cell phones is nothing new; my old Motorola Krzr was Linux based. Ubuntu has been around for a long time, and has been a successful, stable OS for desktop PCs for quite some time. What remains to be seen is how well it works on a cell phone platform, and how many developers will be willing to create cell phone based applications for it.
    01-03-13 11:00 PM
    BlackBerry 10 Beats iPhone 5 In Browser Face-Off! | The Gadget Masters

Found this interesting video. Compare Iphone5 to BB10
    01-04-13 05:20 AM
    The idea that a "full function" PC OS could also run on a mobile device isn't far fetched: the power of mobile devices eclipses the PCs of a decade ago... you know, the "full featured" ones running Windows XP, the OS that's still in wide use today, that was used for gaming, writing documents, spreadsheets, etc.? Except the software of today is alot more stable and user friendly than that of 10 year old PCs. (Sidebar: if Microsoft would just spruce up / harden Windows XP to run on mobile platforms, I bet it would leap to the top of the sales charts! well, not really, but people LOVES their Windows XP).

...but now that we're used to full sized keyboards and big bright screens, there is always going to be multiple form factors in play even if the computational power has plateaued.

I heard a rumour that there might be a Phablet BB10 device... over 5 inches diagonal? That would be my phone. I'd be willing to forego my beloved slider form factor for a phablet... but I'd want a thing I could drop on my desk with USB I/O and HDMI out that would be like an "induction charger / dock" combination... just put my phone down on it, and almost magically, what is on my phablet appears on a full screen, the device is backed up (SILENTLY, in the background without interrupting me)... it's paired with my keyboard and everything. When I pick up the device, it all shuts off. Full mouse-keyboard when I'm at my desk, then I just pick it up and off I go, with a fully-charged device with all my data on it.

A similar device with a notebook formfactor that would be inexpensive and just be a screen and keyboard and battery, without a lot of costly computing power built-in, for, say $200 as an accessory would be nice too.

The thing is, the BB10 series devices can do this. It's just up to RIM to do what Motorola tried to do with the Atrix, but do it right and more cost-effectively and on a decent (non-Android) platform.

When I can play Skyrim on my Phablet when it's docked, and play Angry Birds on the same device when it's not docked, well, then I only need 1 device!
    Ghostone20 likes this.
    01-04-13 09:24 AM
    If Skype has Ubuntu, then the Ubuntu phone can also run it....
    Yes Skype runs on Ubuntu; it is integrated within its messenger client
    01-04-13 01:27 PM
    I think there is a market for all. It is interesting to see Ubuntu added to the list of OS for cells. Like the RIM CEO kept on saying, they want to move towards "mobile computing" and BB10, Ubuntu and Windows 8 seems to be good candidates. Shortly you will see all moving to this.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-04-13 01:58 PM
    Looking at the feedback in the tech blogosphere, I see people being excited about Ubuntu because it doesn't have a home button and is gesture based, yet when it comes to BB10 (which will do all those plus has a subscriber base), they are not excited about it.
    Ubuntu is so very anti- establishment, while BlackBerry is the epitome of establishment.
    01-04-13 10:44 PM
    If Skype has Ubuntu, then the Ubuntu phone can also run it...I doubt the app has the mobile UI though; also, PB had the Skype icon in demos, but it never arrived.

If it makes you feel better, it probably won't EVER support Sun Java or Netflix because to this day, neither Sun Java NOR Netflix support Ubuntu.
    How To Watch Netflix On Ubuntu with the Netflix Desktop App - How-To Geek
    Java is available for Ubuntu as well.
    01-04-13 11:24 PM
    Wine hacks don't count, but thanks .
    01-05-13 09:19 PM
    Wine hacks don't count, but thanks .
    That's like saying "Silverlight doesn't count."
    01-05-13 09:36 PM
    doubt whether the user is going to coordinate OS's between the different devices, too many other and probably more important things to consider,
    starting with the desktop, they expect users to drop Windows because their phone OS looks so much nicer? not very likely
    01-05-13 09:46 PM
    It would be interesting to see where RIM places it's allegiances. They could go MS or Linux. In the short term, and by short term I mean 2-5 years or so, MS would be the clear and concise winner, but in the long term, who would they choose? Seeing the benefits of QNX, both, I'm sure, would clamour over the opportunity to join forces.

If there are any chef's out there, QNX is like a sourdough starter.... the longer you feed it, the longer you let it grow, the better it gets. Over time, the flavour becomes refined, just as the OS has become.
    seluje likes this.
    01-05-13 10:44 PM
    I think this OS is doa.
    01-06-13 10:01 AM
    I think this OS is doa.
    It's not coming anytime soon. So no worries.
    01-06-13 12:36 PM
    I could be tempted by an Ubuntu OS phone.
    01-06-13 01:01 PM
    Bleh. Ububtu on the desktop is a testbed for goofy ui ideas. They've got a reputation for being user-friendly, but I don't see it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-06-13 09:34 PM
57 123