Ubuntu for phones | Ubuntu

YouTube video embedded; take a look at about 7:00.
    01-02-13 01:19 PM
    interesting to see. It seems to pull features from all OSs and combine them into what could be a great overall experience. It has the problem of being another OS like firefox and sailfish etc though
    Zildjian71 likes this.
    01-02-13 01:28 PM
    interesting to see. It seems to pull features from all OSs and combine them into what could be a great overall experience. It has the problem of being another OS like firefox and sailfish etc though
    I'm excited that the Ubuntu OS is different from Android/iOS. It clearly borrowed ideas, or at least independently implemented certain features, from RIM and Blackberry 10. It's the first OS apart from BB10 that has me excited. What it does offer is the PC dock. We're talking quad-core CPU + Ubuntu core with a dock to act as a full PC? I love the idea.
    01-02-13 01:34 PM
    Seemed carefully scripted to avoid references to Blackberry, maybe. In any case what they are saying is important, there is a pent up demand for something new and simple and integrated. BB - "We do that!".
    CairnsRock likes this.
    01-02-13 01:42 PM
    I looked through that. Very interesting, definitely BB10esque, and at least a year away. The next couple years certainly look exciting, for smartphone lovers!

One has to wonder how many lawyers, are going to become stinking rich........
    01-02-13 01:42 PM
    Why does this OS already have a Skype app?
    01-02-13 01:43 PM
    Why does this OS already have a Skype app?
    If Skype has Ubuntu, then the Ubuntu phone can also run it...I doubt the app has the mobile UI though; also, PB had the Skype icon in demos, but it never arrived.

If it makes you feel better, it probably won't EVER support Sun Java or Netflix because to this day, neither Sun Java NOR Netflix support Ubuntu.
    01-02-13 01:49 PM
    It also had pinterest. i doubt pinterest has created an app for it or it could just be a launcher for the browser.
    01-02-13 02:05 PM
    I feel like there is going to be too many mobile oses in the marketplace. How will carriers decide which ones to push and other than the Brand ones( apple,google,rim, microsoft) all the others offer the same thing I see which is a strong HTML 5 prescense within the os. As well its funny how people are getting so excited over these oses because it pushes HTML 5 but so does BlackBerry 10.
    01-02-13 02:08 PM
    its another Linux based of like android, i persoanlly would think ubuntu will have an advantage as even their desktop OS has always been the most user friendly of the Linux OS family so it might have an advantage come mobile
    01-02-13 02:09 PM
    I am also wondering how this os is going to be able to afford all the lawsuits they will need to go through.
    01-02-13 02:10 PM
    I am also wondering how this os is going to be able to afford all the lawsuits they will need to go through.

i do believe ubuntu is free, its an open source OS
    01-02-13 02:19 PM
    No I mean patent lawsuits
    01-02-13 02:29 PM
    Looking at the feedback in the tech blogosphere, I see people being excited about Ubuntu because it doesn't have a home button and is gesture based, yet when it comes to BB10 (which will do all those plus has a subscriber base), they are not excited about it.
    01-02-13 02:31 PM
    Looking at the feedback in the tech blogosphere, I see people being excited about Ubuntu because it doesn't have a home button and is gesture based, yet when it comes to BB10 (which will do all those plus has a subscriber base), they are not excited about it.
    These techies probably use Ubuntu as their desktop, so it's only natural to hear about Ubuntu news. RIM, on the other hand, doesn't have a desktop OS, and not many people use their phones compared to other phones.

I wish I could stomach Ubuntu, but I cannot for two reasons: my Samsung 17" doesn't play nice with Ubuntu and I hate the font in Ubuntu. Linux, imo, should remain a developer or administrative tool. (Fedora Core ftw)
    01-02-13 02:37 PM
    I think it is because Blackberry is Blackberry and BB is per se uncool. While Ubuntu is open source, which is always a great thing in the blogosphere. :x
    01-02-13 02:42 PM
    No I mean patent lawsuits
    yeah and if you're not making a profit you can't pay patent fees, one reason why it was Samsung gettign sued by Apple and not Google, android is a free license, Google makes their profit on ads that go into the system
    01-02-13 02:49 PM
    These techies probably use Ubuntu as their desktop, so it's only natural to hear about Ubuntu news. RIM, on the other hand, doesn't have a desktop OS, and not many people use their phones compared to other phones.

I wish I could stomach Ubuntu, but I cannot for two reasons: my Samsung 17" doesn't play nice with Ubuntu and I hate the font in Ubuntu. Linux, imo, should remain a developer or administrative tool. (Fedora Core ftw)
    Well if a font is going to stop you from using something I guess that says it all then.
    BB10 UI is more mature than this but it just might be good enough. Problem for me is that all the cool things I love about Linux would gobble that battery up like crazy. Linux is a modern advanced OS that to be used to its full potential NEEDS to be run on a Desktop. I'm curious to see if Ubuntu limits any services/packages to be run. What I like about Linux is that there isn't anyone telling you how many apps to run at a time or what the icons should/will look like. Its completely customizable. I can't say I like what I see now but I'm interested where they go with this.
    01-02-13 03:16 PM
    Will there be an Malwarebytes Anti-Malware suite for these hypothetical platforms?
    01-02-13 03:17 PM
    Well if a font is going to stop you from using something I guess that says it all then.
    BB10 UI is more mature than this but it just might be good enough. Problem for me is that all the cool things I love about Linux would gobble that battery up like crazy. Linux is a modern advanced OS that to be used to its full potential NEEDS to be run on a Desktop. I'm curious to see if Ubuntu limits any services/packages to be run. What I like about Linux is that there isn't anyone telling you how many apps to run at a time or what the icons should/will look like. Its completely customizable. I can't say I like what I see now but I'm interested where they go with this.
    These questions are valid, but they already answered it just by showing us that they have a phone. Phones must have >= 10 hrs of battery life, so I'm sure the Ubuntu OS and corresponding hardware will allow for this.

There are more reasons why I won't use Ubuntu, but I honestly hate looking at the font. Unity. Ick. Should be Gnome by default.
    THBW likes this.
    01-02-13 03:32 PM
    These questions are valid, but they already answered it just by showing us that they have a phone. Phones must have >= 10 hrs of battery life, so I'm sure the Ubuntu OS and corresponding hardware will allow for this.

There are more reasons why I won't use Ubuntu, but I honestly hate looking at the font. Unity. Ick. Should be Gnome by default.
    Have you never seen / used an Android phone? They are getting better but they have terrible battery life. That's why you have Samsung selling 4500mah batterys for their Galaxy SIII, becuase not everyone can stand phones that run out of battery after 3-4 hours.
    01-02-13 04:44 PM
    lol the bank guy goes we looking at security yet the unbuntu guy said there's no lock screen hilarious.Apart from that that its alright I aint into linux lover so meh.Gestures based phone's are the way forward button will die soon.It had some intresting OS manuevering good luck to them but Im cool with BB.
    Last edited by RECOOL; 01-02-13 at 05:02 PM.
    anon(4018671) and jakie55 like this.
    01-02-13 04:47 PM
    Not sure if it was in this video or another but BB10 is ahead of Ubuntu in HTML5 as well. With Ubuntu they say they allow HTML5 apps to be used alongside native apps except they fail mention on the phone they won't have access to the sensors where BB does using Native Extensions. This gives a web app true native experience and allows those devs to do more like that demo of the BB10 camera becoming pixelated/animated when touched.
    01-02-13 04:56 PM
    Have you never seen / used an Android phone? They are getting better but they have terrible battery life. That's why you have Samsung selling 4500mah batterys for their Galaxy SIII, becuase not everyone can stand phones that run out of battery after 3-4 hours.
    based on these comments i wonder if you have...
    01-02-13 04:57 PM
    yeah and if you're not making a profit you can't pay patent fees, one reason why it was Samsung gettign sued by Apple and not Google, android is a free license, Google makes their profit on ads that go into the system
    Incorrect. Patent suits award damage based on a perceived loss in revenue. The award isn't based on how much money a competitor made, it's based on how much the patent holder didn't as a result. You can make absolutely zero revenue or profit, but still be held liable for obscenely high sums in damages.

Apple sues Samsung because Apple feels confident that they can beat them, and the suits were based on Samsung's own work. They stay away from Google because they are well aware that Google has an uncanny knack for winning in court. And then too because while Apple has openly scorned Android, their suits never target Android, but manufacturers self modifications to Android.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via TapaTalk.
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 01-02-13 at 10:36 PM.
    01-02-13 05:15 PM
57 123