Saw an article about BlackBerry and the US Senate.... basically they said carriers (Verizon and AT&T at least) are saying that all BB10 devcies were now out of production, once stock was gone it was gone. And that BlackBerry was planning on eding support for BB10 next year.

Of course one articles did check with BlackBerry for confirmation.... "As for BlackBerry ceasing production of the BlackBerry 10 models, the Canadian smartphone company has refuted this decision – it may have been a poor choice of words, or perhaps the company has not quite yet discontinued BlackBerry 10 models?"

I imagine the situation is, BlackBerry doesn't have stock levels to meet orders from the likes of Verizon or AT&T... thus for the US BB10 is EOL. But BlackBerry does still have 100's of thousands of other non-US versions of devcies that it want's to sell.
    07-05-16 07:13 AM
    My prediction is we will see a 10.4 when Blackberry fails to gain significant traction with Android but stabilizes enough to realize they need their own OS to actually grow.
    Zero fact behind my prediction.. simply a prediction.
    07-05-16 07:34 AM
    My prediction is we will see a 10.4 when Blackberry fails to gain significant traction with Android but stabilizes enough to realize they need their own OS to actually grow.
    If Blackberry fails to gain traction with Android, they will exit the phone handset market altogether. BB10 has already proven itself to be a massive money-losing venture, not a growth opportunity.
    TgeekB, cgk and JeepBB like this.
    07-05-16 01:57 PM
    I agree that they really need their own OS...

But BlackBerry the company isn't in a position to put more money into futher development of BB10 software or hardware.
    07-05-16 02:25 PM
    If I can continue to use my Z10 for another year, then use a passport through the end of 2019, I'll be very, very happy.

By 2019, I would expect to see some major advances in mobile options. My goal is to be able to drop my carrier completely by then in favor of a VOIP/WiFi solution with an ultra mobile, fast booting PC.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 03:01 PM
    If I can continue to use my Z10 for another year, then use a passport through the end of 2019, I'll be very, very happy.

By 2019, I would expect to see some major advances in mobile options. My goal is to be able to drop my carrier completely by then in favor of a VOIP/WiFi solution with an ultra mobile, fast booting PC.

Posted via CB10
    Won't you still need a mobile data connection?
    07-05-16 03:46 PM
    I'll need a little bit of data. I've dropped my data usage from about 6GB per month to less than 250MB with nothing more than a little patience while traveling between hot spots. I expect to reduce it even more. I can spend a week traveling abroad each year for what I've given to my carrier over the past few years, so it's time to reprioritize.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    07-05-16 05:25 PM
    I'll need a little bit of data. I've dropped my data usage from about 6GB per month to less than 250MB with nothing more than a little patience while traveling between hot spots. I expect to reduce it even more. I can spend a week traveling abroad each year for what I've given to my carrier over the past few years, so it's time to reprioritize.

Posted via CB10
    On the same page, I'm usually under 150mb. Already switched to VoIP.
    07-05-16 05:38 PM
    Wow, you guys are good. I thought I was doing good at 1gb.
    I'm on Cricket so I really can't complain with paying $35 per month.
    07-05-16 05:49 PM

Posted via CB10

Not sure where you live, but where I am, we have Shaw Go WiFi almost everywhere in my city and even region. Even in public parks, arenas, golf courses etc etc. It is everywhere here. Almost every business has it as well. To make things even sweeter Shaw's major competitor has followed suit and installed their hot-spots as well. I can literally use wifi nearly everywhere in the city to the point where I use hardly any data. I don't even have a data plan anymore but I do buy a "data bucket" for 10.00 per month just in case I need it.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    07-05-16 07:16 PM
    So much for wifi calling on AT&T unless there is something that AT&T will unlock.
    07-05-16 09:53 PM
    Lol I have also started plotting out my usage. I think realistically Z30/Passport can get me through all of 2017, maybe 2018. So long as the functionality is good for messaging I can use an iPhone or a BB Android if I must have some new app or something.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-16 12:26 AM
    I agree that they really need their own OS...

But BlackBerry the company isn't in a position to put more money into futher development of BB10 software or hardware.
    But they could follow the Cyanogen Mod path and fork their Android implementation and make it their own.
    This requires loads of money and very likely a strong partnership with a deep pockets and "ready-to-fly-the-markets" player.
    I've been advocating a stronger relationship with $MSFT for years ... but that's probably me and my daily dreams and I now avoids to "hoo-aah" every crucial steps (Azure/O365 BES integration) I can see, months after months
    07-06-16 03:11 AM
    I've been advocating a stronger relationship with $MSFT for years ... but that's probably me and my daily dreams

You have... and it is. MSFT kicked the tyres and walked away...
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-06-16 04:19 AM
    Lol I have also started plotting out my usage. I think realistically Z30/Passport can get me through all of 2017, maybe 2018. So long as the functionality is good for messaging I can use an iPhone or a BB Android if I must have some new app or something.

Posted via CB10
    Logical and open-minded. You must be new around here lol.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-16 07:53 AM
    Lots of rumours but so far many have been true. Timing a little off but still pretty bang on.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    07-06-16 09:12 AM
    Exactly! Without their own OS, there is no need, or purpose, for BB.
    BES12 and Good shouldn't be underestimated. I've always hated the "Good" name, but it is a very nice system.
    LyoobaBerry likes this.
    07-06-16 09:51 AM
    BES12 and Good shouldn't be underestimated. I've always hated the "Good" name, but it is a very nice system.
    Not much for "fans" to be excited about with BES/Good.... maybe shareholder are happy that Good might save BlackBerry the company. But most here are here because of the hardware.
    07-06-16 10:03 AM
    What exactly does EOS mean? End of Service? I doubt that means the devices stop working as a whole.

BlackBerry is still selling these devices to companies and governments. I don't know if the phones will continue to get updates except for the ones promised which includes one in July/August 2016 and another early next year.

The devices should still work but the app support and such will continue to decline. If your looking for calls, messaging and Internet services than the BlackBerry 10 devices should provide some runway worth of work.

In my case I use the basic apps on BlackBerry World like news, sports, Bloomberg and banking for BMO. It does everything I need it for.

Posted via CB10
    Which Government is still buying BB phones lol?
    The Senate is ditching BlackBerry phones ? and BlackBerry is trying to ditch phones - Recode
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-06-16 12:14 PM
    Too be honest I didn't know that the US Senate was using BB10 devcies.... that they have 600 in stockpile, must have been a pretty big customer.

What clear is all combined not enough customers were buying BB10 devcies for it to be a viable business for BlackBerry. Expect all devices are out of production at this point and will most likely all be sold by the end of the year. With a one year warranty, I think 10.3.4 next year will be the end of BlackBerry support for the BB10 line. Mush like their BBOS forebears, they will go on working for years to come...
    07-07-16 03:59 PM
    That is true. My point is that without their own OS, BB Devices serve no purpose. I really like the way my Z10 works. If I have to change to Android, I will have a plethora of device options. What will BB offer that the others don't? I must assume that many will start looking at other options. In the meantime, I will use m Z10, until something forces me to change.
    07-16-16 11:06 AM
    That is true. My point is that without their own OS, BB Devices serve no purpose. I really like the way my Z10 works. If I have to change to Android, I will have a plethora of device options. What will BB offer that the others don't? I must assume that many will start looking at other options. In the meantime, I will use m Z10, until something forces me to change.
    If you use BlackBerry apps and services or need the type of security they provide then it makes sense to go with a BlackBerry Android device. Otherwise, any OEM would be fine.
    07-16-16 01:06 PM
    I am getting a third Passport SE . Two will be for the future as backup. BB10 Os is the best period.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 01:16 PM
    It is confirmed, the moment RIM stop releasing BBM stickers everything was over.
    07-18-16 04:56 PM
74 123