I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. Don't agree with it though. Without their own OS. BlackBerry is as good as dead. I will enjoy BB10 as long as possible though.

Long Live BB10!
    Exactly! Without their own OS, there is no need, or purpose, for BB.
    Last edited by Dr J39; 07-04-16 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Added comment
    Q10Bold likes this.
    07-04-16 11:25 AM
    Enjoy what you have now.
    I am; my problem is not now, it is what am I going to buy, when my Z10 breaks? Nothing lives forever.
    07-04-16 11:35 AM
    Exactly! Without their own OS, there is no need, or purpose, for BB.
    Maybe not for you personally, but BlackBerry wants to be a software company that dabbles in devices.
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    07-04-16 11:51 AM
    I think you need a better brand of drugs......lol
    Which brand... Woofies?
    kwenie likes this.
    07-04-16 12:01 PM
    Which brand... Woofies?
    Shocking!
    07-04-16 12:12 PM
    Keep the faith. The Chairman said he might release more BB10 phones after 10.3.4. Wait and see, and keep faith in the Chairman!
    remus_lonno likes this.
    07-04-16 12:13 PM
    Exactly. And we're all familiar with BlackBerry timetables, so it'll be 2019 when they announce EOS and 2021 when they get around to making it happen.
    You think that soon?

LOL!
    Last edited by thatguyusa; 07-04-16 at 12:14 PM. Reason: T
    07-04-16 12:14 PM
    I'm keeping the faith! BlackBerry is still selling BB10 devices new. They won't let people down after one year saying "sorry, it's all finished." They'll maintain a certain level of service to some extent limited to security updates. I'm sure BB10 will continue functioning through to 2020; moreover, BlackBerry is encouraging BB10 app development. As somebody said earlier, BBOS7 is still out there and functioning suitably well. I retired my Bold 9900 in September 2015 -a good four years of use. I plan on using my P'9983,in passing the sexiest mobile I've ever had, till the next decade.
    Who knows - even by some freak miracle, BlackBerry may suddenly decide to bring out a new device under BB10. They are in a state of flux looking hard at how to move forward.

Posted via CB10
    remus_lonno likes this.
    07-04-16 12:24 PM
    Actually, they long ago pushed 10.3.4 into 2017. Heck, at this rate, they might not have 10.3.3 out by "later this year."
    Full statement here
    BlackBerry’s device strategy is based on a cross-platform model where we’ll continue to support our BlackBerry 10 platform while expanding our device offering to include Android-based devices. We are focused on software updates for BlackBerry 10, with version 10.3.3 scheduled for next month, and a second update to follow next year.

Similar to many other device makers, we are changing the lineup of smartphones as we innovate and advance our portfolio. And, we are updating our smartphone lineup with state of the art devices. As part of this, and after many successful years in the market, we have informed our US carriers that the manufacturing cycle of only our BlackBerry Classic will cease. However, we have informed our customers to check with their respective carrier for device availability or purchase Classic unlocked online. We continue to actively support sales of our BlackBerry 10 smartphones to customers in most markets. And for customers choosing our Android device as their next smartphone, there will be a seamless transition without any compromise to the security of their mobile platform or operations.

We believe that being truly cross platform – which includes support for BB10, Android, iOS and Windows Phone – will allow us to best serve our customers across the world.
    07-04-16 12:37 PM
    They should keep making Classics, or reissue the Q10. It's a great phone and form factor.
    remus_lonno likes this.
    07-04-16 12:39 PM
    2018 is far from now.

I don't think Chen will be CEO for all that long.

Then all could change. There are no certainties, anything can happen even though everything may seem already written.

Just think about the security issues that may occur in the future where BlackBerry10 could again become interesting, who knows...

Posted via CB10
    07-04-16 12:40 PM
    Just think about the security issues that may occur in the future where BlackBerry10 could again become interesting, who knows...

Posted via CB10
    Security will an issue for everything BUT smartphones. BlackBerry is already preparing for that. That's what this is all about and why it's come to this.

My question is, if 10.3.3 is just for NIAP compliance, then what is 10.3.4 going to be for? What other security protocols would they be interested in applying that would take another year to add in?

Posted via CB10
    07-04-16 12:55 PM
    Keep the faith. The Chairman said he might release more BB10 phones after 10.3.4. Wait and see, and keep faith in the Chairman!
    I wouldn't hold my breath. So several years after stopping making new BB10 devices, which didn't sell before, they're going to try it again? That doesn't sound like smart business practices.

I think they're trying their hand at Android while converting to a mostly software company. If Android hardware doesn't pan out, they're done with hardware.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-04-16 01:05 PM
    I'm keeping the faith! BlackBerry is still selling BB10 devices new. They won't let people down after one year saying "sorry, it's all finished." They'll maintain a certain level of service to some extent limited to security updates. I'm sure BB10 will continue functioning through to 2020; moreover, BlackBerry is encouraging BB10 app development. As somebody said earlier, BBOS7 is still out there and functioning suitably well. I retired my Bold 9900 in September 2015 -a good four years of use. I plan on using my P'9983,in passing the sexiest mobile I've ever had, till the next decade.
    Who knows - even by some freak miracle, BlackBerry may suddenly decide to bring out a new device under BB10. They are in a state of flux looking hard at how to move forward.

Posted via CB10
    I also think the new BB10 device will be heavily marketed.......by Martians who will land in giant ships with the Blackberry logo on the side. Chen will get out of the ship, in his silver space suit, and proclaim that BB10 is taking over the world and we should comply or be turned to dust with his death ray.

Hey, it could happen.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-04-16 01:09 PM
    I also think the new BB10 device will be heavily marketed.......by Martians who will land in giant ships with the Blackberry logo on the side. Chen will get out of the ship, in his silver space suit, and proclaim that BB10 is taking over the world and we should comply or be turned to dust with his death ray.

Hey, it could happen.
    The sad thing is, they'll either be captured or terminated by Androids.

*A3-A20
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-04-16 02:06 PM

Hey, it could happen.
    To each his own. If you choose to shroud yourself in defeatism so be it. Others choose to enjoy BB10, benefit from the excellent productivity it brings and keep some hope for the future.

And when you are turned to dust, I promise to sweep you neatly into a Priv box.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-16 02:07 PM
    To each his own. If you choose to shroud yourself in defeatism so be it. Others choose to enjoy BB10, benefit from the excellent productivity it brings and keep some hope for the future.

And when you are turned to dust, I promise to sweep you neatly into a Priv box.

Posted via CB10
    It's not defeatism, it's reality. I shroud myself in reality.
    07-04-16 03:14 PM
    That would be great news, as it would mean 10.3.5 would actually happen!

I can't complain about a 2018 EOL date. That would mean like 4 or 5 years since the Classic, which is about 2 years longer than most devices get any support at all. My old Lumia release in 2011 and I don't think it went 2 years with any updates.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-16 03:34 PM
    They should keep making Classics, or reissue the Q10. It's a great phone and form factor.
    They can't. The components they were made from are no longer manufactured or available - neither the memory modules or the SoC. And BB can't order enough of them to justify putting old, obsolete components back into production.
    TgeekB and JeepBB like this.
    07-04-16 03:36 PM
    They can't. The components they were made from are no longer manufactured or available - neither the memory modules or the SoC. And BB can't order enough of them to justify putting old, obsolete components back into production.
    They can use some new components if necessary, but the device is already plenty face enough for what it's needed for.
    07-04-16 05:34 PM
    They can use some new components if necessary, but the device is already plenty face enough for what it's needed for.
    I shall refer you to my response in another thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12491131
    07-04-16 05:49 PM
    I shall refer you to my response in another thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12491131
    lol they can load Android on it if that makes it cheaper, who cares ...
    07-04-16 06:21 PM
    lol they can load Android on it if that makes it cheaper, who cares ...
    That's what BB is doing, we think. Three new devices, all running Android. They get their choice of hardware (CPU/GPU/Radio) because Android runs on all of it already.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-04-16 06:38 PM
    They cannot for a couple of known reasons, the custom drivers for newer chipsets are very expensive which is why they kept using the S4 - Chen has mentioned this in a couple of earnings call - it's not a cost effective thing to do. The second reason is... there is no BB10 infrastructure at BBRY anymore except a small team doing patches. Odd as it seems, they no longer have the know-how to make a new BB10 device.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-05-16 03:09 AM
    That's what BB is doing, we think. Three new devices, all running Android. They get their choice of hardware (CPU/GPU/Radio) because Android runs on all of it already.
    Perfect. All they need to do is put a custom skin on top of Android to make it look like BB10.
    anon(9742832) and mendez777 like this.
    07-05-16 04:21 AM
74 123