Research In Motion recently pushed out a small update to the BlackBerry 10 Webworks SDK to correct a sandboxing logic issue. What�s interesting about this update is the introduction of new BlackBerry.io API, which allows developers to query for the static readonly full path of the SD card folder on BlackBerry 10 devices.

Does this mean BlackBerry 10 smartphones and tablets may support SD memory cards? So far it doesn�t seem likely with the PlayBook and Dev Alpha not supporting them. However, why would RIM go out of their way to make it possible for developers to access it? Perhaps we�ll see soon enough if the upcoming BlackBerry 10 devices offers the support. Would you like to be able to use SD cards?
    I credited N4BB but I see they got the info from Berry Review
    BlackBerry 10 WebWorks SDK Has SD Card Support in API? Gets Small Update - BerryReview
    07-25-12 03:04 AM
    SD cards usage is to me the only appropriate safe solution for physical extra storage (USB host is ... a security nightmare). Removing it from Berries would be a step backward IMHO; notably in BYOD perspective. Fusion may then force personal storage to SD while corporate will be internal only, for instance.
    07-25-12 03:58 AM
    It doesn't mean that it will be user accessible, WP7 has SD card support but by and large unless you want to rip off the back, they are not swappable.
    07-25-12 07:22 AM
    I certainly hope it is user accessible, as it can be a differentiating feature for bb10 (to a certain extent).

A 32gb base model with the option of extra SD storage would be awesome.
    07-25-12 08:53 AM
    All indications are themes will not be part of BB10. I think w/o removeable media and battery - BB10 is DITW. These things have always seperated BB from Apple and been a huge pull for folks. Other than proprietary openings, this will close up BB entirely and put it much closer to an Apple like experience, which many BB users detest.
    My MDM will support Android by the time BB10 is released. If theses things are missing, I would choose Android in a heartbeat. As it is, I see no indication on PB or the Dev Units or the leaked slides or the promo videos that RIM has implemented live icons on the home page. There are days my excitement for BB10 is hightened and days where I think about no sd cards, removeable batteries, no themes..and I get a little sad.
    07-25-12 12:55 PM
    Heins even said it's the small things that make a difference.

This isn't an exception. SD card is a MUST.
    07-25-12 03:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD