15% is a huge miss in my opinion.
    "only"
    03-29-15 10:36 AM
    "only"
    One or two percent gets an "only".
    03-29-15 11:08 AM
    Another thing to consider is the impact on app developers. If BB sold 4.7 BB10 devices in 2015 the numbers I heard on the news for Apple were that they sold on average for the entire quarter following the release of the iPhone 6s that many phones in a bit less than a week. Who do you develop for?
    03-29-15 11:12 AM
    One or two percent gets an "only".
    Scare quotes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    03-29-15 11:17 AM
    Chen was saying that selling 10 million was the minimum number for them to make a profit with hardware. That was the threshold number. So yes, they missed that by a lot. Perhaps even more concerning is that the members are dropping.
    This here is exactly what happens when you don't use proper context and then filter through Miss Information.

-10 million is NOT the minimum number, and I like to see where he said directly otherwise.
    -The 10 million number was not a number that he deemed reasonable for FY2015.
    -He is on camera stating that they are right there for making profit on hardware even with the current sales numbers.
    03-29-15 11:33 AM
    Then he shouldn't have thrown that 10 million number out there. I believe that was when Chen was still making wreckless statements. He's toned down now.
    +1 on not mentioning the number at all. Sort of ridiculous because units sold does not equate to profit. You can sell one device and be profitable.
    Last edited by Toodeurep; 03-29-15 at 11:45 AM. Reason: spelling errors
    03-29-15 11:43 AM
    Sold through doesn't matter to BlackBerry so much.

It's the devices they sell in and recognise revenue on that matter.

There comes a point though where there is a minimum number that needs to be sold in for their hardware division to be profitable. Especially as ASP dropped ~$70 YOY and manufacturing costs increase. BlackBerry are not making a profit on their hardware division at the moment when you include all costs and their hardware revenue is dropping year on year whilst software and Other is not growing at all.

So we really need to see Software revenue grow next year if BB want to continue with their hardware division.
    Out of curiosity, where is the falling ASP you note coming from? The number I saw was up this quarter.
    03-29-15 11:50 AM
    Out of curiosity, where is the falling ASP you note coming from? The number I saw was up this quarter.
    From the release...

"... with an ASP of $211 compared to $180 in the previous quarter."
    03-29-15 11:54 AM
    I said Year on Year. It's gone from $275 or something to $205.

-He is on camera stating that they are right there for making profit on hardware even with the current sales numbers.
    He said he's confident they have everything in place to gain a profit. Not that they actually were profitable on the hardware side. They broke even on Hardware this fiscal year when you exclude marketing + admin + R&D.
    03-29-15 12:16 PM
    I said Year on Year. It's gone from $275 or something to $205.

He said he's confident they have everything in place to gain a profit. Not that they actually were profitable on the hardware side. They broke even on Hardware this fiscal year when you exclude marketing + admin + R&D.
    Actually what he said was "we are starting to make money on device". To correct my earlier post "make money" is not "profit".

One thing I really liked hearing him say was that he recognizes devices as an entry to other BB services. I am hoping for a shift in philosophy based upon that statement.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    03-29-15 12:28 PM
    They broke even on Hardware this fiscal year when you exclude marketing + admin + R&D.
    Yes, as I said on another thread, the "profitable" claim is accounting sleight of hand. Chen has excluded all the costs, made use of previously written-down components, and generally blown a lot of smoke in the air.

After excluding all my liabilities, I am also hugely profitable in much the same way. Now, if only I can get my Bank Manager to agree to see things that way too.
    03-29-15 12:31 PM
    Another thing to consider is the impact on app developers. If BB sold 4.7 BB10 devices in 2015 the numbers I heard on the news for Apple were that they sold on average for the entire quarter following the release of the iPhone 6s that many phones in a bit less than a week. Who do you develop for?
    1 day. Another 5 million in the second day.
    03-29-15 04:24 PM
    1 day. Another 5 million in the second day.
    No, they are always real high on release day. If you read what I said I was using the average sales numbers for the entire quarter following release; not just one or two very high sales days.
    03-29-15 04:41 PM
    No, they are always real high on release day. If you read what I said I was using the average sales numbers for the entire quarter following release; not just one or two very high sales days.
    Apologies
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-29-15 05:25 PM
    Chen updated that in the Q&A... "...95% of shipped are latest devices...
    Passport, Classic type..."

I still find it amusing that Chen can't seem to bring himself to say "BB10". LOL

Oh, and he wouldn't be drawn on which device was the bigger seller.
    He did state that Classic is the stronger seller over Passport. Something we will see in the next Quarter. Right off a Youtube Interview.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-29-15 07:51 PM
    He did state that Classic is the stronger seller over Passport. Something we will see in the next Quarter. Right off a Youtube Interview.
    That is initial pent up demand from Q10 users and the few BlackBerry die hard fans out there that still want PKB. I expect demand to drop off quickly and is likely gone already for the Passport. I doubt their is any demand for the Leap, at least not from the Z10/Z30 crowd although I do expect it to sell into Enterprise and Government much better than the Passport or Classic will. Based on the weak "roadmap" released I expect device sales to continue drop. Probably won't see any uptick till maybe the Slider, which who knows when it will come out.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 08:30 PM
    Ah, OK thanks. He wasn't so forthcoming in the ER Q&A.

Can't say I'm too surprised. The Classic is a bit more of a mainstream BB device for traditionalists to embrace.
    03-30-15 01:59 AM
    Ah, OK thanks. He wasn't so forthcoming in the ER Q&A.

Can't say I'm too surprised. The Classic is a bit more of a mainstream BB device for traditionalists to embrace.
    Chen himself prefers the Classic over the Passport. It's obvious when he talks about the two.
    03-30-15 04:57 AM
    Apologies
    No worries, thanks. Just wanted it to be clear.
    Yatezy likes this.
    03-30-15 06:48 AM
    Chen himself prefers the Classic over the Passport. It's obvious when he talks about the two.
    That is his baby. The Passport was started prior to him taking the helm. Sadly he didn't bump the specs on his baby to at least the Z30 SOC. Probably could have gotten some Q10 people to upgrade with some minor improvements to internals. I think he canned the slider with the three row keyboard because he likes the traditional PKB.

His influence on the hardware side concerns me because his influence has us with the Leap, and the Classic, both of which offer zero improvements in SOC over the Z10/Q10. I'm not going to go to the BBOS days of paying top dollar for old tech and letting them reap the profits. The smart phone market is simply too competitive now to do that.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 07:19 AM
    UPDATE:
    During the first quarter of fiscal 2016, approximately 1.3 million BlackBerry smartphones were sold through to end customers.
    Source: http://uk.blackberry.com/content/dam...nformation.pdf
    06-24-15 03:34 PM
    I updated the first post, but I don't think we'll ever get detailed numbers again. As production seems to have stopped for all BB10 devices, probably around 13 to 14 mio devices have sold through so far and 15 mio devices were produced. We all know what is going to happen to BB10
    04-02-16 04:09 AM
122 ... 345