I'd like ton argue that imo, one of the worst things about the BlackBerry 10 OS is it's android runtime. The apps which run on them are not made for BB and as such provide a jarring UI and user experience from them. For all BB defenders who yell "Sideloading" at every point, if you had an iPhone and downloaded an app only to see a Windows Phone Metro layout, how would you feel about it? Or if you had a windows phone and downloaded an app which had a Symbian layout, called up Symbian keyboards and acted like they belonged on another planet entirely, how would that feel? That is how some consumers feels when using Android on BB10. Think about that.
    08-16-13 10:57 AM
    Not me. I have no issues with any sideloads that I run. Sure you have to adapt to the menus being different but seriously I cannot say that anything is bad about it.
    go1ndr likes this.
    08-16-13 11:02 AM
    That is how the average consumer feels when using Android on BB10. Think about that.
    No it's not, so now I dismiss everything you said as nonsense... You can't speak for the average consumer... you can speak as "an average consumer", but nothing more...
    08-16-13 11:04 AM
    No it's not, so now I dismiss everything you said as nonsense... You can't speak for the average consumer... you can speak as "an average consumer", but nothing more...
    One point which may or may not be wrong and was used as an afterthought, invalidates the entire prior argument?
    08-16-13 11:07 AM
    Not me. I have no issues with any sideloads that I run. Sure you have to adapt to the menus being different but seriously I cannot say that anything is bad about it.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...1057-a-839922/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...10-2-a-839914/
    08-16-13 11:08 AM
    Sideloaded apps work great! Sure there is that android bar at the bottom but honestly for every game/app Ive been running the bar becomes useful, its easier than swiping down from the top every time you want to go back a page. The android runtime is great! Almost perfect keyboard integration, only problem I found is Instagram comments. My Simpsons tapped out connects to the servers, automatically updates from within the app when I first start it up yet you say its a bad idea? Ive now got my favourite OS and almost every app or game that Id want if I had a ****ty iphone or android device on my phone? Its perfect for me, hopefully is for others to
    08-16-13 11:18 AM
    I agree think that they need to slowly phase it out somehow and promote native dev. I have been against it from the start pretty much.
    08-16-13 11:20 AM
    Asan armchair CEO lol, I agree. Native apps are always much better.
    08-16-13 11:32 AM
    Without it I would not have the weather radar program I need. Instagram and a few others are nice to have along with Skype.

Without the ability to run a real radar program I would not of been staying with BlackBerry.
    All the native radar programs are badly done and useless. No detail or choice of radar data sources.

Granted it slow and sometimes displays oddly but with Jellybean on the way this should improve.

Verizon Z10. Running 10.1.0.4651. Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 11:38 AM
    I think the Android runtime should have all the ui of bb10! The bb10 os rocks and that look and feel should replace the Android loading spinner the colour schemes etc- surely this is not impossible as many vendors bake android to their flavour

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    08-16-13 11:42 AM
    Without it I would not have the weather radar program I need. Instagram and a few others are nice to have along with Skype.

Without the ability to run a real radar program I would not of been staying with BlackBerry.
    All the native radar programs are badly done and useless. No detail or choice of radar data sources.

Granted it slow and sometimes displays oddly but with Jellybean on the way this should improve.

Great. So Imagine selling someone a BB10 phone and saying, "Just Between us, native apps are useless, get pirated android apps instead" and watch them run all the way for the Galaxy S4, Iphone 5s or Lumia 920 where every app-even Instagram-is in the store without need for Ninja type sideloading.
    08-16-13 11:42 AM
    Great. So Imagine selling someone a BB10 phone and saying, "Just Between us, native apps are useless, get pirated android apps instead" and watch them run all the way for the Galaxy S4, Iphone 5s or Lumia 920 where every app-even Instagram-is in the store without need for Ninja type sideloading.
    I don't have pirated apps. Not a concern for me.

Side loading is an option otherwise folks can get Droid apps from BlackBerry World.

08-16-13 11:48 AM
    I believe this should be used as a transition point... like the Dev site implies "Bring what you've got" VS "The Blackberry experience"... as soon as they realize they're app has usage, offering the particular Blackberry experience will enable best in class against current solution. Developer will be able to identify the opportunity if they take the quick leap, but for that to be sustainable two things need to be achieved:
    1)Native Android should be fully supported to make the process simple, but not transparent, to enable focus on what will native give me (Dev) as a plus.
    2)Paralel campains directed to:
    -Devs: About Native BB (Cascades) VS Native Android and the added value.
    -Companies: About making the quick leap to reduce engagement of the BB ecosystem cost, the value of transition and the value of Native as a POA.

Any comments?
    08-16-13 11:53 AM
    I don't agree with the OP... Sure the menus are different, but if it works like(or almost like) it would on android, fine by me! I must say that, if it weren't for the apps i sideload, probably i wouldn't have stuck with my PB for so long, which would go making me spend my app money on another platform!

Even if the runtime widens the range of available apps by 1, it's worth it! We, BB users need apps, BB needs users, so its a win-win situation!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    08-16-13 11:55 AM
    I have no problem with side loads. They work much better than when they were on the PlayBook. The only problem I have with them is that horrendous bar at the bottom. Get rid of that, and I am good. I prefer native apps, but I will settle for side loads. For now, anyway. :-)
    08-16-13 12:14 PM
    It is a necessary evil. I can't say I don't enjoy taking advantage of sideloads. Do I wish Native Instagram was available, hell yes, but I would have never experienced Instagram for my self if it wasn't for sideloading and the Android runtime

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 featuring BBM Channel C0002FE04
    08-16-13 01:16 PM
    I'd like ton argue that imo, one of the worst things about the BlackBerry 10 OS is it's android runtime. The apps which run on them are not made for BB and as such provide a jarring UI and user experience from them. For all BB defenders who yell "Sideloading" at every point, if you had an iPhone and downloaded an app only to see a Windows Phone Metro layout, how would you feel about it? Or if you had a windows phone and downloaded an app which had a Symbian layout, called up Symbian keyboards and acted like they belonged on another planet entirely, how would that feel? That is how some consumers feels when using Android on BB10. Think about that.
    I put the blame on Blackberry because they could have developed the integration way better if they wanted. The problem is that they made sideloading an option but also made it a non-option because of the unnecessary differences. Blackberry knew they were going to piggyback on Android but they just half-a$$ed it by not making a device that would be fully compatible with Android apps. It's all a semi-win effort at getting these developers to port their apps to BB10.

The truth is, the worst thing about Blackberry is their lack of implementation in everything. BB10 was never executed properly from inception. Basically, things were flawed from the planning stage.

One of the best things about Blackberry is the Android runtime. But, because the worse thing is their inability to implement features properly (aka half-a$$ing it), they made that integration difficult, cumbersome, and impossible to fully enjoy. A prime example is when they released the 10.2 (and I won't call it a leak because I am sure they know) update. Why would they force the bar at the bottom in Android apps? It's a dumb decision and another example of bad implementation on the part of Blackberry.

And, to speak to the "average consumer" concern, they don't even know how to sideload apps. I'm sure it would feel fantastic if they could very easily install an Android app without worrying which runtime to download or which process to use to install those apps. At that point, we can ask how they feel about installing Android apps. Until then, we have to realize, the typical consumer isn't sideloading apps at all. They have no clue where to start and many are scared to even get involved. They have ONE phone and don't want to take a chance on bricking it even if WE know better. The fact is, they don't know and that's enough of a deterrent.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-16-13 01:24 PM
    Where to start? I'll start with your last statement you speak for yourself and not everyone on a BB so that isn't woth listenning to. Second there are plenty of android apps that run better on BB10 then android so your point of it not made for BB and poor UI isn't true.

But i do agree sideloading isn't for the average BB user. They need to find a way to get the apps on BB and Native because yes in general native apps are better.

The one good thing about the runtime is that it is alowing BB to close the app gap.
    08-16-13 01:26 PM
    I can't edit imagine where we would be without the Android apps. I'm grateful that they are helping the BB10 platform become the best in the world.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 01:26 PM
    Without the android runtime, it'll keep pushing those new customers away from the phone even more.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Aljean Thein; 08-16-13 at 01:42 PM.
    08-16-13 01:29 PM
    Has anyone owned a legacy BB? How was the native development there? I don't see how this platform would be different and suddenly have developers flock to support BB10. We're not getting a native Skype, Netflix, Instagram to name a few as it is. Sure native's better, but I and many others, would take android ports over nothing. What's the big deal anyways?
    08-16-13 01:31 PM
    I don't agree with the OP... Sure the menus are different, but if it works like(or almost like) it would on android, fine by me! I must say that, if it weren't for the apps i sideload, probably i wouldn't have stuck with my PB for so long, which would go making me spend my app money on another platform!

Even if the runtime widens the range of available apps by 1, it's worth it! We, BB users need apps, BB needs users, so its a win-win situation!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    Bolded is the problem with using Android apps. We're not on Android, we do not want an Android experience, we want a BlackBerry one, any one who wishes to attack me can refer to the reviews of the Kindle and Kobo ported apps.
    Another thing, BlackBerry's closest competitor, Windows Phone has begun to close the app gap slowly, with native apps of their own. Even apps for Instagram and Vine are available In the store as we speak, built with the metro design language, to act and fit with the general paradigm of the phone. That is how it should be. Most blackberry Developers just dump the port and walk off on their merry way, the app will not work properly most times as it is limited by what it can do {Key word-Most. Fully compatible apps are few and far between. How;s Skype coming along }
    08-16-13 03:50 PM
    Where to start? I'll start with your last statement you speak for yourself and not everyone on a BB so that isn't woth listenning to. Second there are plenty of android apps that run better on BB10 then android so your point of it not made for BB and poor UI isn't true.

But i do agree sideloading isn't for the average BB user. They need to find a way to get the apps on BB and Native because yes in general native apps are better.

The one good thing about the runtime is that it is alowing BB to close the app gap.
    I'm sorry, you must have left out the point you were making accidentally and unintentionally came out sounding like an arrogant a****le. It happens to the best of us
    08-16-13 03:57 PM
    Z10? Yes it can!
    08-16-13 03:57 PM
    I put the blame on Blackberry because they could have developed the integration way better if they wanted. The problem is that they made sideloading an option but also made it a non-option because of the unnecessary differences. Blackberry knew they were going to piggyback on Android but they just half-a$$ed it by not making a device that would be fully compatible with Android apps. It's all a semi-win effort at getting these developers to port their apps to BB10.

The truth is, the worst thing about Blackberry is their lack of implementation in everything. BB10 was never executed properly from inception. Basically, things were flawed from the planning stage.

One of the best things about Blackberry is the Android runtime. But, because the worse thing is their inability to implement features properly (aka half-a$$ing it), they made that integration difficult, cumbersome, and impossible to fully enjoy. A prime example is when they released the 10.2 (and I won't call it a leak because I am sure they know) update. Why would they force the bar at the bottom in Android apps? It's a dumb decision and another example of bad implementation on the part of Blackberry.

And, to speak to the "average consumer" concern, they don't even know how to sideload apps. I'm sure it would feel fantastic if they could very easily install an Android app without worrying which runtime to download or which process to use to install those apps. At that point, we can ask how they feel about installing Android apps. Until then, we have to realize, the typical consumer isn't sideloading apps at all. They have no clue where to start and many are scared to even get involved. They have ONE phone and don't want to take a chance on bricking it even if WE know better. The fact is, they don't know and that's enough of a deterrent.
    I am not referring to the Average consumer sideloading apps. I'm referring to them downloading an app from the store and suddenly being kicked from 2013 BB10 era to Android Gingerbread. They won't care about ports, all they'll see is a bad app that is poorly designed. The more ports they get, the more their disillusionment, and then boom. 2.7% market share and shrinking...oh wait.
    08-16-13 04:00 PM
46 12