View Poll Results: Will BlackBerry 10.3 bring a revamped OS with flat design?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I can't wait!!!!

52 54.74%
  • Yes, but not looking forward to it.

5 5.26%
  • No, BB10.3 will gear towards enterprise and business stylings.

23 24.21%
  • No, but I would welcome the refresh!

15 15.79%
    It seems to me like there are a LOT of other things they could focus on than basically rearranging the furniture, but I'm a fan of function over fashion... I thought BBRY was too.
    03-13-14 08:30 PM
    Either you're making it up, violating an NDA or violating an employment confidentiality agreement. Tread carefully ... I know of someone who ended up in court for this ...
    Like I said in the OP, you don't have to violate anything while doing a quick google search. The Z10's used to go on the internet just happened to be running that OS'. AKA not lying or violating, just spotting there is a difference

lighten up, i'm just trying to get people excited for something. I'm also predicting releases (10.2.1 MR) just like those analysts except I don't get paid for it:P the biggest prediction around these forums is 10.2.1 MR will come out with the Jakara in April. Then I think 10.2.2 by this summer and 10.3 by the winter. Judging by how fast they are moving on their build numbers.

Everyone has to be so serious all the time :P
    03-13-14 09:54 PM
    lighten up, i'm just trying to get people excited for something.
    The excitement part was cool. But I know for a fact BlackBerry can get really nasty if you happen to be an employee or partner leaking something you shouldn't be. Was intended as a friendly warming
    03-14-14 07:09 AM
    Flat design is boring as hell. I haven't upgraded my ipad to iOS 7 because I can't stand it... ok, to each its own, but fight against skeuomorphism went too far IMHO, to the point where design become dumb.
    03-14-14 08:38 AM
    Yeah I'm already bored of overly flat designs.

I like BB10's subtle shadings and gradients. Things feel more "full", and satisfying. Like you can eat them.

I do however want more vibrant colours - things are a little washed out currently. And the grey icon boxes need to be much fainter, because currently the phone wallpaper is taken up too mulch by them.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-14 08:52 AM
    much*

Posted via CB10
    03-14-14 08:52 AM
    much*

Posted via CB10
    Everything could use more mulch.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-14 09:00 AM
    I wholeheartedly agree, but maybe we need to wait for 10.4

Posted via CB10
    03-14-14 09:14 AM
    So I have heard this before that with 10.3 the OS will be revamped and changed quite a bit. What that is I and most of us do not know yet.

This article is great and video does show where the future may be heading for BB10.3

I have read an article before that talks about the future of mobile OS and most OS that we interact with will be going minimalistic and flat designs. BlackBerry is behind in this matter, and this article shows that BB may be moving towards a more flat design for 10.3.

If you use the newest Foursquare app as a basis it lets you see where developers on BB10 are heading towards. The BlackBerry Express app is similar and Mockit in Beta is much flatter as well (and is beautiful IMO).

So check out the video here and article. I for one really hope that BB10.3 brings sweeping changes across the OS designs and appearance! I love the OS but would love to see a much more updated look and feel!

BlackBerry 10.3 Bringing Flatter Design Methodology Across UI? |

This article talks about the future of Flat OS.

If Your OS Isn't Flat Yet, It's in for a Radical Redesign | Wired Design | Wired.com

What do you all think? Will BB10.3 change drastically? Will it bring about a flat design code? Please leave comments and vote in the poll
    Pretty stupid idea to start with and the video is a worthless piece of crap, based on some clueless speculation.
    BB10 is actually far more modern than any other mobile design: WinPho comes close but home screen etc is just an awful mess, iOS 7 is practically dysfunctional in many ways AND ugly as hell and Android, while it's mostly functional (sans Hub-like comm center), it is the most outdated design in my eyes.
    03-14-14 10:38 AM
    Pretty stupid idea to start with and the video is a worthless piece of crap, based on some clueless speculation.
    BB10 is actually far more modern than any other mobile design: WinPho comes close but home screen etc is just an awful mess, iOS 7 is practically dysfunctional in many ways AND ugly as hell and Android, while it's mostly functional (sans Hub-like comm center), it is the most outdated design in my eyes.
    Lol wow, harsh! but lets just keep this clean no need to attack the ideas presented here! You may not agree and that is fine, please state it nicer than calling it a "pretty stupid idea" and insulting the video as well...many people would welcome this change and clearly you are not one of them...

I appreciate your input, but please do not insult any idea I may have, or anyone else in this forum, or CrackBerry, OR really anyone who is presenting ideas regarding BlackBerry...these conversations may not be directly followed by BlackBerry, but it is these ideas and conversations that may bring forth pressing issues to the company and bring about change...be constructive not destructive
    03-14-14 11:11 AM
    As a Windows Phone user I can tell you that it might look messy to you, but to the user it's as organised as a BBOS10 home screen. My start screen is unique as I can pin what's important to me on it. BBOS10 has different design ideas to WP in that it uses a static grid of icons instead.

WP, BBOS10, iOS and Android all have different design philosophies so there is no right or wrong way to design a smartphone interface.
    mphillips828 and Djlatino like this.
    03-14-14 12:03 PM
    Flat is the new black.
    dragon77 likes this.
    03-14-14 12:33 PM
    I didn't vote because there was no "I couldn't care less what the icons look like" choice. So long as they don't change for the sake of change (which just means retraining your reflexes to recognize new icon designs) I don't care.
    03-14-14 01:33 PM
    I didn't vote because there was no "I couldn't care less what the icons look like" choice. So long as they don't change for the sake of change (which just means retraining your reflexes to recognize new icon designs) I don't care.
    That's funny...I didn't vote because I'm not a Time Lord and can't predict the future. Also, I'm not clairvoyant.

Though, despite my affinity towards the Metro look on Win 8; I would prefer it if my BlackBerry didn't look like one.

I'm fine if the apps have the flat look (though I think the term "flat" isn't a very good description of it, which might actually be why I don't like it.), though I don't want the OS to have that look. I'm a huge fan of the BB10 Cascades look.

These are just my opinions though...I'm sure I will grow to love it if it does take the "flat" look.
    03-14-14 02:16 PM
    iOS7 copied the Metro UI from Windows 8 along with the minimalist movement that has existed for the past 5 years.

If anything, BlackBerry wouldn't be copying anyone rather just keeping up with the identity of Web 3.0 and 2012 graphics
    WTF iOS copied Metro ui? :|
    03-14-14 04:59 PM
    WTF iOS copied Metro ui? :|
    Are you kidding? iOS blatantly, straight off the bat, copied Metro. From their revamped font to the flat UI. All of it.

Posted via CB10
    RyanGermann and Kashan Osama like this.
    03-14-14 06:36 PM
    Are you kidding? iOS blatantly, straight off the bat, copied Metro. From their revamped font to the flat UI. All of it.

Posted via CB10
    Apple innovation

Posted via CB10
    mphillips828 and Nharzhool like this.
    03-14-14 06:59 PM
    I love that sped-up video of someone replicating iOS 7 design language using I think Microsoft Draw (the line drawing app in word) or was it PowerPoint?

Here it is...

Posted via CB10
    mphillips828 likes this.
    03-14-14 09:56 PM
    I love that sped-up video of someone replicating iOS 7 design language using I think Microsoft Draw (the line drawing app in word) or was it PowerPoint?

Here it is...

Posted via CB10
    This guy is skilled thats for sure! lol created exact replica of iOS 7 using a Windows program! lol thats probably how Jony Ives created iOS 7!
    03-14-14 11:27 PM
    A new WhatsApp redesign concept has popped up...now that Facebook has acquired the IM platform, they could very well be doing something about the ui...and hey! the concept looks a lot like bbm (especially how the contacts are layed out!) hope bbm gets there first! http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/gizmodo/f...lio-1545518993
    BlackBerry 10.3 New OS Design?-czaalspqucplsen3tu65.jpg

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 10:30 PM
    I absolutely, positively hate the flat design.

Big reason I can't stand to even look at Android - make a button look like a damn button for %$###$% sake!. There's virtually no delineation of various UI elements with these flat styles. Buttons look like pictures and pictures look like buttons. This design theory has already crept into BB10 (Quick settings, etc...) and I can't stand it.
    peter0328 likes this.
    03-18-14 01:22 AM
    I would love if they adopted to flat UI design with long shadows (Google it, it's stunning).
    mphillips828 likes this.
    03-18-14 01:26 AM
    Just give us themes please.

Posted via CB10
    Apollo_IV likes this.
    03-18-14 02:49 AM
    I would love if they adopted to flat UI design with long shadows (Google it, it's stunning).
    A flat UI with long shadows is indeed beautiful if designed correctly. It would be absolutely stunning and unique on a mobile OS.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 08:49 AM
    I live how the cascades ui flow so smoothly. The things bother me in terms of the elements would be the settings app and the over all look of the icons especially when it's viewed with a wallpaper, something just seems off whenever I look at that.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 08:52 AM
116 12345