View Poll Results: Will BlackBerry 10.3 bring a revamped OS with flat design?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I can't wait!!!!

52 54.74%
  • Yes, but not looking forward to it.

5 5.26%
  • No, BB10.3 will gear towards enterprise and business stylings.

23 24.21%
  • No, but I would welcome the refresh!

15 15.79%
    So I have heard this before that with 10.3 the OS will be revamped and changed quite a bit. What that is I and most of us do not know yet.

This article is great and video does show where the future may be heading for BB10.3

I have read an article before that talks about the future of mobile OS and most OS that we interact with will be going minimalistic and flat designs. BlackBerry is behind in this matter, and this article shows that BB may be moving towards a more flat design for 10.3.

If you use the newest Foursquare app as a basis it lets you see where developers on BB10 are heading towards. The BlackBerry Express app is similar and Mockit in Beta is much flatter as well (and is beautiful IMO).

So check out the video here and article. I for one really hope that BB10.3 brings sweeping changes across the OS designs and appearance! I love the OS but would love to see a much more updated look and feel!

BlackBerry 10.3 Bringing Flatter Design Methodology Across UI? |

This article talks about the future of Flat OS.

If Your OS Isn't Flat Yet, It's in for a Radical Redesign | Wired Design | Wired.com

What do you all think? Will BB10.3 change drastically? Will it bring about a flat design code? Please leave comments and vote in the poll
    03-12-14 04:25 PM
    I can dig it. I like the new foursquare update. It's slightly flatter without being comical or garish like iOS 7.

Posted via my amazing Q10
    walt63 and James Nieves like this.
    03-12-14 04:36 PM
    Hopefully this will happen.

Star Wars fan? Come join us C00121E8E
    03-12-14 04:45 PM
    Ya really looking forward to 10.3

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 05:11 PM
    I don't like the flat design trend. Flatter is fine, but it seems like going from one extreme to counteract the other is stupid. I hope BB doesn't become a rainbow flat-colored OS, nor an ugly stark white, and I hope they still utilize some soft shadows and subtle gradients where it makes sense. I really hope they give the UI some nice fluid animations. Give the graphics more of a vector appearance if they aren't actual vectors.
    03-12-14 05:17 PM
    Just to voice in this conversation the UI is "flatter" not totally flat. Just more unified and flat (not like iOS7 which takes it overboard) I expect a nice mix. A lot of BB10 is already flat in design

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 06:56 PM
    Just to voice in this conversation the UI is "flatter" not totally flat. Just more unified and flat (not like iOS7 which takes it overboard) I expect a nice mix. A lot of BB10 is already flat in design

Posted via CB10
    Yep. Tilt is a great example as well.

Posted via CB10
    mphillips828 likes this.
    03-12-14 07:12 PM
    I say bring it on. A little visual flair never hurts and people have been asking for more TAT influence for awhile now because as of right now, the swiping is what keeps the OS fresh for me currently so i really look forward to the UI changes.

Also look forward to how they will improve multitasking...if they could find a way to allow us to switch between apps without swiping up that would be wonderful...and hopefully the rumor about BB thinking about letting two apps run on screen at the same time eventually comes true. Exciting times ahead
    elGuapoTorres likes this.
    03-12-14 07:36 PM
    One thing I was just working on here was a design for the new OS. Would enhance the home screen and take away active frames as we know it, and turn them into interactive frames...

I do not know what programs to use to create a mockup of my idea so i was drawing it out and thinking about it, but basically take the similarity of the MockIt app in the beta zone.

The fact that is has 3 bars horizontal. Each having a different function. These could be the new "Interactive" Frames for 10.3.

Instead of the app name on the side like in mock it, it would be at the bottom of the bar, maybe separated like it is now in the current active frames (separated for a reason as I will explain). The home screen will show 3 on a screen at a time with the 4th slightly showing through the bottom (very faint look to the 4th). This 4th one will be BEHIND the current navigation pane for quick jumping between app pages, and hub and home screen.

Now the frames will be larger than what we have now, so more information can be displayed. I picture more cycling between information on apps, and not as static of an experience. Lets say for example you have your Music app open. The app will display the album cover in the frame, again faintly in the background with the song title upfront, artist...and possibly other pieces of information. Now to become interactive, users will simply press and hold...picture the gestures from the photo app (you take a photo, drag the thumbnail of the photo up and into a share/delete function and done!) so this will be similar, you will press and hold and very quickly options will pop up...Music options could include, Play/Pause, Next/Back, Shuffle, Repeat. They will function the same as the photo example I mentioned. You press and hold and move up to next, and the song will switch.

Same features go for all applications...pictures can allow you to change the cycle time so it will be a slideshow of pictures and you control if pictures change every minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, never, etc.

I could go on and on with each apps functions but I won't.

Now the app when you swipe up won't instantly change to the next page like it currently does...i find thats not as interactive. So it will move with your finger, you move it slightly and it will only move a bit as well...

Now for closing the frames, lets take out the "X" as that is not modern design! So we will take that out and make it a swipe to the left. This will throw it off the screen and poof gone! and an undo button will pop up briefly...if you touch anywhere else the undo button will immediately go away so as to not interfere with the user. (after 2 uses the user will know how this works!) and then on an app, a swipe to the right will pin the app to the spot it is current in!

You can rearrange these apps by when you press and hold the app "Title", for example...MUSIC...and dragging it around to where you want it...think of BlackBerry Express how you can drag around the tiles.

Now the final awesome feature is pinch to enlarge!

Lets stick with music app...we are using it and we want more functionality, basically a full app...now what you can do is to resize the app is just Pinch to Zoom (fingers together and then separate). This will basically just blow up the app you do this gesture on...it will show you where it will resize too...if you move slightly it will show a shaded outline that it will double in size (same size as 2 active frames - basically being 2/3 of screen)...if you go all the way, it will open the frame within the entire home screen.

The beauty of this is that you can still scroll the home screen because all this is is an enlarged frame!

Another thing I would like to say is that for messaging, lets say you have BBM open and you receive a message. The message you receive will show up on the frame, and due to the size and it being the width of the screen, it will show the entire message, unless it is extremely long! Now you can press and hold like before and these messaging apps will give you the option to reply from frame! Just press hold, move to reply...then just start replying and send!

To give a design cue for the pop up when you press and hold...I will use Pinterest app as an example...when you press and hold a pin you like, it will pop up with options to interact with the pin, that is how these options would pop up in the active frames.

Anyways this is an idea I had and would be flat and minimalistic yet still can follow many many BB10 design cues.

**** for people who read that swiping left/right will have functions...lets clarify that either the bezels will differentiate what that swipe does...so from the left bezel swiping right will take you to the HUB as it currently does, and right bezel to the left will take you to the app tray...now those have to be from the bezel! Anything you do within the interactive frame will be specifically designed only for the frame! So thats when the swipe left on the frame will close it, and a swipe right will pin it...just wanted to clarify!
    Last edited by mphillips828; 03-12-14 at 09:07 PM.
    03-12-14 08:18 PM
    I would love if this happened.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 08:52 PM
    BlackBerry 10.3 is in testing stage and I can assure you that it is already flat UI.. and they are constantly changing it

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 09:07 PM
    And how do you know this???

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 09:21 PM
    I would love to see some screenshots or video, even if it is a work-in-progress. I'm just really curious.
    03-12-14 09:28 PM
    Will leak sooner or later

Posted via CB10
    mphillips828 and royalbucks like this.
    03-12-14 09:43 PM
    I just learned a lot from many of you. Great thread OP. Thank You.

Does anyone know when 10.3 will be launched?