What's the situation with Z10 and Wifi Direct?

As I read, there used to be this functionality.
    Is it hardware supported? if yes - why it's gone from leaks?!
    Apparently, only the -1 Z10 (non-LTE model) chipset supported it, but the other three did not. So BlackBerry removed OS support for it on all Z10 models.

The support files are still there, but only so the Z30 (which uses many of the same support files), and I think the Q, can have it.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 08:32 AM
    I hope so. On Verizon

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 08:41 AM
    This is why I hate rumors for better or worse. People take them to heart and run with it. Then when it doesn't happen, disappointment and anger sets in. I mean, I get it.. rumors are a big part of how things work and even I contribute to them but I wish people would take them at face value. A rumor is a rumor, fact is a fact.
    Wouldn't hurt if BlackBerry controlled the message instead of allowing everyone but the company to control it. Why haven't they provided an update as to what is going on with the US getting an update? If it is waiting for 10.2.1 because carriers decided 10.2 wasn't worth it, then say so, if it is carrier testing, say so officially.

Posted via CB10
    rcab likes this.
    01-21-14 08:54 AM
    Ya, assuming it's accurate. That's why I can't get behind 'release dates'. I mean, this was the 'release date' for 10.2. :/ - BlackBerry OS 10.2 rollout starting this week | CrackBerry.com. Speaks for itself.
    With the way thing are (and have always been) the release date for you is when you carrier decided it is - and if it is. No problem for me, but I hate how the affects the majority of users that don't Leak, Root or Jailbreak.

We need BlackBerry to release a baseline OS via Carriers, with updates to Apps like the Camera, Contacts, Dialer, Android Player done via App World. US Carriers are not overly interested in updates for devices (most brands), what happens when the Z10 and Q10 are EOL?
    01-21-14 08:55 AM
    This makes sense. To arrive just before the 80,000, DND phone go on line on the 31st.
    01-21-14 09:15 AM
    In the first post, the OP mentions "fact," while the title calls it "rumor."
    (..keep in mind, I'm making this up as i go along)

It's the perfect way to cover both bases Had previous posters used that formula it would have eliminated all the battling.
    "This is probably not true." Well, it "is" just a rumor!!
    " Yeah, I saw it,too!" That confirms the "Fact!"

Ingenious, OP! even if I "am" the only one who noticed it!
    You are the one that noticed it because you are showing up late for the party!!

The title never had [RUMOUR] initially. That was changed after the fact by Blaze or one of the mods in order to manage expectations and hopefully curb the chaos that will ensue if it doesn't work out to be the January 28th date (which in 99% probability, it will not be met since no one likes the US...lol).

Welcome to the party now. Enjoy the sloppy seconds and clean up the mess before you leave.
    01-21-14 09:40 AM
    I just want to have it installed on my device ASAP!!!

Z10 and loving it
    01-21-14 09:57 AM
    The day or hour
    no one knows
    when to here
    from where it goes
    updates updates
    releases all
    the chips will fall
    where and when they fall
    HotFix, jaydee5799, donemt and 2 others like this.
    01-21-14 10:32 AM
    For USA - yes.

//Some forum moderators are like communist
    For VZW....2017
    01-21-14 10:37 AM
    For VZW....2017

Aren't you being way too optimistic?
    HotFix likes this.
    01-21-14 10:56 AM
    We've seen 10.2.1 as it is in the leaks. No more new features to come until 10.3

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 11:12 AM
    Who told you that? BlackBerry has only ever said APK installation, not Google services. You fell victim to BS.
    Could you or somebody else please explain the difference using your simple words so a non techie like me would understand. Thanks!
    01-21-14 11:40 AM
    It's ****, I upgraded to 10.2 3 hours ago, my phone is now stuck on lock screen an iv spent 3 hours on this trying to fix it, gr8
    01-21-14 12:17 PM
    leak or official update ?
    01-21-14 12:31 PM
    Installing an APK file will give you the Android app. However, some Android apps require Google services to function properly. So this means only the apps that don't need Google services will function properly with 10.2.1.
    01-21-14 01:22 PM
    This makes sense. To arrive just before the 80,000, DND phone go on line on the 31st.
    That would be the US DoD not the Canadian DND....Canadian Forces/DND only use BB exclusively on our secured network.
    01-21-14 01:31 PM
    Still waiting for T-Mobile 10.2
    Wikichick and Blackberry_Boss like this.
    01-21-14 02:24 PM
    The point of my long winded reply to you was that BlackBerry or any company as a matter of fact want a emulator of someone else's OS as a main feature point of the OS! Do they market we can run android apps? NO and last time I looked both android and iOS have their own programming languages if you want to build a application for them. It isn't Blackberry's fault that someone didn't code the same app again for us. It's the developers and this is mainly because they don't see blackberry as a viable platform. Imagine building a house on a island that was about to sink? I wouldn't see the point of that to be honest and that's what the developers see. Only way to correct this is to fix blackberry's image and this is exactly what is being done now by Mr Chen.

Plus also a emulator is only a emulator... it can be good but can't be perfect. We can only get the android experience that much that is possible without actually having android running as the OS.

Posted via CB10
    I don't want to get into personal attacks, but it is pretty clear to me that either you don't have a native command of English or that you don't know what you are talking about. Android doesn't have it's own "programming language". It has some API's but it is written and runs on Java on top of the Dalvik virtual machine (which translates Java bytecodes into the processor specific codes). What BlackBerry has done is implement their own version of Dalvik (using the Dalvik open source code) so that Dalvik apps can run inside the BlackBerry 10 environment. Dalvik is just a Java Virtual Machine interpreter just like probably half a dozen you have on your PC... it was written in a clean room and is open source (which is why Sun/Oracle hate it) and BlackBerry was able to very easily (it took a matter of a few weeks) to complile a version that runs on QNX/BB10. It's just as fast as natively and instead of getting it's settings (only) from the Android UI, it (also) gets them from QNX. This makes the Android app look like it's running well integrated within BB10. About the only thing that doesn't look that way is the UI menu structure as they had to account for the fact that Android has buttons and BB10 doesn't. As long as BB10 implements all the Android API calls (like Jelly Bean or Google Play) then you won't really be able to tell the difference. It isn't like WINE or some of the other "emulators" out there that implement an executable interpreter on top of an interpreter with all the attendant performance problems that brings. BB10 implements the Java to machine translastions through a similar (interpreter) as Android - and it can be as similar as possible as it is open source. They won't even be that far behind because the code is all open source so they can run the betas just as well as Samsung or LG. BlackBerry is at no real disadvantage to running Android apps if they decide to implement all the Android API's (including GooglePlay). There are a few that they don't because of buttons but they have work arounds for most of that. There is nothing stopping BlackBerry from being a better Android than Android - especially since they can optimize the JVM code if they want to.
    01-21-14 02:58 PM
    Message to Bla1ze? Are you in Canada? Was just wondering cause you and Kevin M. Do some interesting videos, thought you were close by sorry that sounded kinda wrong what I meant is you all have a pretty great idea on what's going on and the videos say a lot. As far as these updates go, I'd like a little more insight on how often RIM or Blackberry pardon me releases updates and how their released in sequences example 7.0.0???? Just trying to figure out the pattern and what those last model numbers mean I can understand 10.2.0 or 10.2.1, but what's with the 3-4 number sequences OS version and radio version and software release? What are those final number and why do they have a bearing on when a release and to whom they are released too. Sorry just trying to understand that... Or if anyone can answer this in plain easy terms that would be great! So I've got 10.2.0.1804? Or 10.2.0.429? Or 10.2.0.1803 I've got all three of those numbers.
    01-21-14 03:25 PM
    It would make BlackBerry 10 irrelevant then? Might as well get an android :/ The Android emulator was only made as a backup plan if cascades wasn't picking up. If I was them I wouldn't make my companies goal to make my backup plan better... I would try get people to adopt the cascades platform. We don't want everyone that owns a blackberry to become dependant on the Android emulator and platform.

Posted via CB10
    Completely and utterly incorrect. The original plan was for both Android and old school BBOS to run in VMs under QNX, with the operating system slowly built up around those two pillars, but when they couldn't get BBOS to work properly, they had to scramble.

Native APK installation doesn't actually render BB10 irrelevant. Certainly not from an Enterprise standpoint, since even .BAR files created from Android can't be put in the Work Store yet. And that may never happen.

I will agree that this takes away some incentive from some developers, but like it or not, it improves the popular appeal of the phone and broadens the market. It works very, very well.
    BrentRoss and HotFix like this.
    01-21-14 06:26 PM
    For us who have installed teh Leak should we do a wipe and restore or what? Just curious and wondering what everyone's experience has been. For me, after the first 10.2.1 leak I have stopped wiping and have been restoring from a previous leak. Haven't noticed any problems.

Hopefully thsi rumour holds true!
    01-21-14 06:36 PM
    For us who have installed teh Leak should we do a wipe and restore or what? Just curious and wondering what everyone's experience has been. For me, after the first 10.2.1 leak I have stopped wiping and have been restoring from a previous leak. Haven't noticed any problems.

Hopefully thsi rumour holds true!
    I wouldn't bother, unless it's actually a newer build.

If it is the same build, there's no reason to get the "official" since it's all the same. Except for that one updated voice dictation file, or whatever it is. It's of no interest to me, so I'm keeping the 1925 I have now.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 06:58 PM
    Yeah, there's nothing confirmatory about a rumour.
    01-21-14 08:44 PM
    Completely and utterly incorrect. The original plan was for both Android and old school BBOS to run in VMs under QNX, with the operating system slowly built up around those two pillars, but when they couldn't get BBOS to work properly, they had to scramble.

Native APK installation doesn't actually render BB10 irrelevant. Certainly not from an Enterprise standpoint, since even .BAR files created from Android can't be put in the Work Store yet. And that may never happen.

I will agree that this takes away some incentive from some developers, but like it or not, it improves the popular appeal of the phone and broadens the market. It works very, very well.
    Think of it from a developers viewpoint.. It's pretty clear that Android VM was a backup plan if cascades didn't work out for them. It was cleverly thought out I agree but it just removes the shine from an cascade made app. Plus the difference between a cascade made app vs android made app run on our devices at the moment is huge performance wise. Also the fact it's buggy as hell and sometimes isn't even functioning properly..

But this would actually make cascades utterly useless because I don't think anyone wants to redo their app to work for a OS which supports both. So what if you miss out some functionality, if the main things are working it's fine! Remember laziness is a infectious disease...

But hey even the fact you can run Android apps on a BB10 hasn't been marketed. Not even an average consumer would know about that in fact. So makes no difference to anyone but us the diehard BlackBerry fans and the lazy devs. I don't think an average Joe would buy a BlackBerry and start side loading and downloading APK's.. It's simple but people wouldn't have the knowledge as it isn't in the manual. Plus it's something more technical for most consumers. They would just check the BlackBerry App World to see if it's available, if it's not there then its pretty much the end of that.

I don't want to get into personal attacks, but it is pretty clear to me that either you don't have a native command of English or that you don't know what you are talking about. Android doesn't have it's own "programming language". It has some API's but it is written and runs on Java on top of the Dalvik virtual machine (which translates Java bytecodes into the processor specific codes). What BlackBerry has done is implement their own version of Dalvik (using the Dalvik open source code) so that Dalvik apps can run inside the BlackBerry 10 environment. Dalvik is just a Java Virtual Machine interpreter just like probably half a dozen you have on your PC... it was written in a clean room and is open source (which is why Sun/Oracle hate it) and BlackBerry was able to very easily (it took a matter of a few weeks) to complile a version that runs on QNX/BB10. It's just as fast as natively and instead of getting it's settings (only) from the Android UI, it (also) gets them from QNX. This makes the Android app look like it's running well integrated within BB10. About the only thing that doesn't look that way is the UI menu structure as they had to account for the fact that Android has buttons and BB10 doesn't. As long as BB10 implements all the Android API calls (like Jelly Bean or Google Play) then you won't really be able to tell the difference. It isn't like WINE or some of the other "emulators" out there that implement an executable interpreter on top of an interpreter with all the attendant performance problems that brings. BB10 implements the Java to machine translastions through a similar (interpreter) as Android - and it can be as similar as possible as it is open source. They won't even be that far behind because the code is all open source so they can run the betas just as well as Samsung or LG. BlackBerry is at no real disadvantage to running Android apps if they decide to implement all the Android API's (including GooglePlay). There are a few that they don't because of buttons but they have work arounds for most of that. There is nothing stopping BlackBerry from being a better Android than Android - especially since they can optimize the JVM code if they want to.
    Native command of English? Are you being serious? English is my main language and my post can be clearly read which is how you sent a reply, by reading my post . Secondly I stand corrected by your indepth knowledge about the subject then simple.

I know when I'm outsmarted in a field I know barely about. I can be the bigger person and admit it no shame in that!

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 10:20 PM
    Cool news.

And, maybe AT&T will finally release 10.1 MR.

Posted via CB10
    i find it absolutely ridiculous they haven't released 10.1 MR let alone 10.2 and now that 10.2.1 will become official at some point it make no sense for them to be even testing any other build. What version are they even testing, are they even doing anything? I'm on AT&T and just learned not to wait and luckily haven't had any major problems with leaks and alternate official versions (non-AT&T) of OS's starting with BBOS and now with BB10. So glad .1925 exists for us to use, if i was still stuck on 10.1 with no ability to update the OS I would have second thought my BB10 experience. seriously.
    Last edited by extisis; 01-21-14 at 10:53 PM.
    01-21-14 10:32 PM
174 ... 23456 ...