hi all just read a short article that a few of you may find interesting

BlackBerry sees iPhone shrink in rear view mirror • The Register

it states that RIM still own the market share of smartphones in the US

i keep reading threads on here about RIM being dead in the water and on a downhill slope and it just isnt so, these people are basing their threads on their own opinions not on facts.

would like to hear all your thoughts on this guys n gals
    04-07-10 10:41 AM
    We kinda know this already
    04-07-10 10:49 AM
    Come the august time frame you'll start seeing more post of RIM is dying because the new iPhone will have been released for a month or so by that point. RIM isn't going anywhere man don't listen to us who like to poke fun at RIM for its less visually appealing UI, and grandfather OS. I'm one of them but we all know RIM is here to stay they own the business sector.
    04-07-10 10:52 AM
    You have to take this with a grain of salt as well....RIM has 10 or so models out there for purchase on multiple carriers in the U.S. The iPhone has just two models on one carrier.

It's like comparing apples to cran-apples. Not a justifiable comparison in my opinion.
    04-07-10 10:54 AM

It's like comparing apples to cran-apples. Not a justifiable comparison in my opinion.
    Or Berries
    04-07-10 10:58 AM
    You have to take this with a grain of salt as well....RIM has 10 or so models out there for purchase on multiple carriers in the U.S. The iPhone has just two models on one carrier.

True but you have to understand stats like this make berry guys and gals feel better. Like wen the curve was placed as the number one consumer device over the iPhone 3G, but then no one wanted to talk about how it was 7 different curve models versus 1 iPhone model. I mean how is that fair an actual picture of what number 1 consumer device really is?
    04-07-10 11:07 AM
    Who cares what the number one consumer device is? Do you think RIM would rather have one top selling super phone as opposed to having several phone models in the top five or ten category and selling far more overall?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-10 11:16 AM
    Frankly no article nor statistic nor outside opinion makes me feel better about my 9700. All I have to do is pick it up to have the correctness of my decision affirmed. I make my own decisions - ever since I became an adult.
    04-07-10 11:19 AM
    Frankly no article nor statistic nor outside opinion makes me feel better about my 9700. All I have to do is pick it up to have the correctness of my decision affirmed. I make my own decisions - ever since I became an adult.
    Don't mind CrackberryBrandon. He just likes to be condescending for some reason.

04-07-10 11:26 AM
    Don't mind CrackberryBrandon. He just likes to be condescending for some reason.

Oh, I don't mind him. I mostly disagree with him. On occasion I've agreed. On occasion he's gleefully noted when he perceived that someone "beat" me verbally. As with anyone, I consider the source and move on.
    04-07-10 11:36 AM

no he does have a very good point

Curves

available on basically EVERY CARRIER known to man in the USA, and alot of times with BOGO or BOG1HO (buy one get one half off)

and the iphone is available on AT&T only....and hardly ever on sale.

makes you really think....

i wonder what iPhone sales v/ 8900 sales on ATT [only] would look like.

04-07-10 11:40 AM
    I think the issue was the thinly veiled ridicule of blackberry owners somehow needing positive stats, however skewed he considers them to be, to feel better about the device.

As I mentioned, I choose what I like, not what statistics tell me is the #1, #2, #5 phone. As a matter of fact, I've put my SIM card in my old, old, old Siemens SX66 just to see whether I would like a slider again, in advance of the release of the Blackberry slider. And just about everyone ridiculed that phone. I L-O-V-E-D it, and I'm having a blast rediscovering it. Could not give one iota about how anyone is going to look at me tomorrow on the train, carrying that huge thing around. I'm having fun rediscovering an old friend.
    04-07-10 11:48 AM
    no he does have a very good point

Curves

available on basically EVERY CARRIER known to man in the USA, and alot of times with BOGO or BOG1HO (buy one get one half off)

and the iphone is available on AT&T only....and hardly ever on sale.

makes you really think....

i wonder what iPhone sales v/ 8900 sales on ATT [only] would look like.

Who cares! I'm sure RIM really couldn't give a damn if the iphone is the top selling model when they produce a bunch of models in the top selling bracket. This isn't the Olympics where you get an award for being number one. This is business, where numbers count. So by all means, split up the Curves. It won't change anything.

04-07-10 12:13 PM
    Who cares! I'm sure RIM really couldn't give a damn if the iphone is the top selling model when they produce a bunch of models in the top selling bracket. This isn't the Olympics where you get an award for being number one. This is business, where numbers count. So by all means, split up the Curves. It won't change anything.

Bottom line: i care.... if it really doesn't matter.... quit getting all worked up

04-07-10 12:18 PM
    Well, if we really wanted to be that an@l about the whole thing, you would have to take the first generation iPhone and compare that to the first generation 8300 only in AT&T in order to get a true picture of how the phones did. Then compare subsequent models after that, 8900 to iPhone 3G. There was no 8900 follow up on AT&T to compare to the iPhone 3GS, was there?
    Who's game? I really don't have the inclination nor the patience. I'm sure a couple of fanboys will, though. And ultimately, what will it tell you that we don't already know? That people who are looking for multimedia devices will gravitate towards the iPhone and people who are not that into multimedia devices will go to BBerry.
    Don't we already know that?
    Night night - drugs are kicking in.....
    04-07-10 12:21 PM
    Bottom line: i care.... if it really doesn't matter.... quit getting all worked up

I get annoyed by people who don't read, making me have to repeat myself.

Whatever. Have fun caring about having the Top Selling Smartphone in the US!

04-07-10 12:26 PM
    I get annoyed by people who don't read, making me have to repeat myself.

Whatever. Have fun caring about having the Top Selling Smartphone in the US!

And I cannot stand the fanboism. Be fair. Claiming that the curve is the #1 cell phone in the world. Thants like ford sold more cars than the corvette. Well duh a whole line up will sell more than one phone.

04-07-10 01:14 PM
    The simple fact of the matter is that these figures are comparing the blackberry range with the iphone range, it isn't rim's fault that apple are limiting their own range.
    04-07-10 01:24 PM
    And I cannot stand the fanboism. Be fair. Claiming that the curve is the #1 cell phone in the world. Thants like ford sold more cars than the corvette. Well duh a whole line up will sell more than one phone.

Are you kidding me? The only person that said anything about the Curve series outselling the IPhone was CrackberryBrandon. I already told you that it means nothing to me what the top selling phone is. Sigh.

04-07-10 01:48 PM
    look im not a fanboi i merely was sharing this news with the crackberry nation, i turned down the iphone for the 9700 as its the one i prefered out of the 2. i agree with a lot of whats being said, it is true you really cant compare sales of a whole range to the sales of 2 phones, although that isnt RIMS fault apple cant be a bit more inventive and actually make more phones than just the iphone. Look each to there own as far as what they prefer i just get fed up of reading the threads slating RIM and plotting there downfall when it plainly isnt true when they have nearly twice the market share of apple. It would be fair to state that winmo is on its last legs though, i think microsoft have lost all imagination and really just cant be bothered with it. Androids the same although it has a fair market share it hasnt taken off like all the linux fanboys quoted.
    04-07-10 01:49 PM
    look im not a fanboi i merely was sharing this news with the crackberry nation, i turned down the iphone for the 9700 as its the one i prefered out of the 2. i agree with a lot of whats being said, it is true you really cant compare sales of a whole range to the sales of 2 phones, although that isnt RIMS fault apple cant be a bit more inventive and actually make more phones than just the iphone. Look each to there own as far as what they prefer i just get fed up of reading the threads slating RIM and plotting there downfall when it plainly isnt true when they have nearly twice the market share of apple. It would be fair to state that winmo is on its last legs though, i think microsoft have lost all imagination and really just cant be bothered with it. Androids the same although it has a fair market share it hasnt taken off like all the linux fanboys quoted.
    You posting something like you did, in no way shape fashion or form makes you a fan boi. If anything it beats the fan boi down a step, which is needed from time to time.

04-07-10 01:58 PM
    Are you kidding me? The only person that said anything about the Curve series outselling the IPhone was CrackberryBrandon. I already told you that it means nothing to me what the top selling phone is. Sigh.

I don't know what's worse, me actually wanting to know what the #1 selling phone, by model number, is. Or you caring what about what I care about. Because if you didn't truly care you would keep revisiting the same thread, telling me how you don't care. When I never said you cared. In fact you said you didn't care, so I know you don't care, but I wonder why you insist on telling me you don't care, unless you do care and you don't care to tell me that you care.

04-07-10 02:05 PM
    If you know I don't care, then stop quoting me please. Quote the person you're speaking to, if anybody at all.

04-07-10 02:47 PM
    The people who constantly worry about the #1 device just want to buy the winner phone regardless of functionality.
    04-07-10 02:53 PM
    To argue 'There are more berries than iphones' only proves RIM has a better business strategy. Ever heard of saturating the market?
    Think franchises, wal-mart, shoe brands, etc.
    The more you put out there, the higher chance of the product being purchased.
    You can argue the iPhone is better than any Blackberry, it doesn't change the fact that Apple will never outsell RIM because RIM will always have more product on the shelves and a bigger selection than Apple.
    "You want this new 3GS?"
    - "No, doesn't appeal to me, do you have anything else? Maybe with a slide out keyboard?"
    "No, but we do have a 3G, or you can wait for the new model to come out."
    - "Isn't it like the same thing?"
    "No, it will be shinier."

Yeah, iPhone might look nicer (I personally believe so and that, along with media, is why I currently own one) but we were all, even the current iPhone users (I'm sure 90% or more of the iPhone users here also own or have owned a Blackberry) part of the RIM Market. We bought into the qwerty keyboard, or the flip, touch screen, carrier saturation, or any other reason for owning or having owned one.
    That is why RIM is effective. They saturate the market and put different products out there that are targeted at various groups.
    They are doing it once again with the slider.
    Don't like the new Slider? There's a Blackberry Bold 2 (rumored) coming and so on and so on.
    04-07-10 02:55 PM
132 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD