Are the blackberries that have GPS built in just as good as the bluetooth GPS pucks. What chipset does RIM use and how is the power consumption. I am debating on upgrading to 8310 when it comes out or should I just buy a puck.

Mav

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-07 10:16 AM
    Puch is cheaper option...

I know that I don't need GPS always, so just take puck when you need it...
    10-01-07 11:31 AM
    If I recall correctly, the gps chip is a Sirf III, which is the same type used in the larger units (TomTom, Garmin, etc) and will lock on fairly quickly (always a subjective term).
    10-22-07 06:05 PM
    I have the 8310 and yes the GPS uses a fair amount of power, but it's not been an issue really thus far as the battery life on the 8310 is quite impressive. I'm using the standard Curve battery, which is 1000 mAh. Just as a matter of course I ordered a 1300 mAh battery from Seidio before I even got the phone, because I've needed an extended battery on previous phones. Thus far, I haven't received the extended battery, but I haven't needed it either.

I know they make a larger extended battery that's 2600 mAh and comes with a larger cover to accomodate the physically bigger battery. I'm not sure if either of these things sway you at all, but personally, I like having the integrated GPS. If you don't mind carrying a puck around, that sounds like a workable solution as well.
    10-22-07 11:16 PM
    Don't you use the GPS functionalities in your car most of the time. Why don't you just plug it in?
    10-31-07 11:21 AM
    edit = stupid slow computer made me double post - sorry, see http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/gps...-options-7473/

and as soon as i figure out how to post a link, i'll fix that one
    Last edited by twan007; 11-08-07 at 04:55 AM.
    11-08-07 04:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD