Hi

Which BlackBerries are best for high in call volume? I was wondering this, as I got a 9780 and noticed the call volume is low compared to a family members 8900 curve?

Is this a difference between Bold and Curve? Or are some models just better than others?
    I'd love to know as I'm a hearing aid user so this is important to me.

Thank you.
    01-05-13 10:48 AM
    Supposedly you can just turn the volume up before calling? It may be due to OS versions, but some people don't like loud call volumes because it makes sure only they can hear it in their ear, and nobody else can hear it around them. For private business calls, etc.
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-05-13 11:13 AM
    My 9650 had a very low call volume compared to my 9930. I kept the 8330 about half volume as with the 9930, but with the 9650 it was maxed out all the time. I just decided to use my Jawbone more frequently with the 9650
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-05-13 11:40 AM
    Your hardware is probably faulty, the 9780 is a very solid phone and better quality all round than the 8900, I've used them both. However, loud is one thing, clear is another.....

Just to add, the 9900/9930 have very good in-call volume and clarity, I've used a few blackberries and the Bolds, old or new have always been superb for me, not sure about the 9790 though, the in-call volume, quality and general build on my wife's 9790 isn't as solid as my 9900, so I would say a 9900 will make you very happy, if you get a good unit first try!
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-05-13 11:41 AM
    Thank you.

I got the 9780 cheaply really, as was all i could afford at the moment.
    However, I cannot get it working on my network at all. Someone said to try re downloading the service books? I went to set up, options, email account, but there was no option for an internet email account or anything at all about service books. Said something about Enterprise Services?

I don't have Blackberry services as yet as i've just got the phone and was just trying it out. Is it faulty? Thing is it was a refurb and I don't think I can take it back unless it's faulty :/
    01-05-13 11:53 AM
    I don't have Blackberry services as yet as i've just got the phone and was just trying it out.
    You need a BB data plan to be able to set up personal email and send service books.

I notice you said you use a hearing aid. Have you tried the dedicated setting for this in Call Management? I'm sure the 9780 has it too.

GlamGemini likes this.
    01-05-13 12:24 PM
    You need a BB data plan to be able to set up personal email and send service books.

I notice you said you use a hearing aid. Have you tried the dedicated setting for this in Call Management? I'm sure the 9780 has it too.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/06/ahavy2yd.jpg
    Yes I have tried it with hearing aids in and hearing aid mode, which is not bad at all, nice and clear. However i was just wondering about it as definitely quieter than my samsung tocco lite, which I wasn't expecting at all due to family having the Curve and the volume is definitely louder on that.

So would the phone actually work properly if I had the BlackBerry services? I contacted my carrier, GiffGaff they said try the SIM in another phone which I did and everything works fine, put it back in the BlackBerry same problem again, not recognising contacts or the bundle I'm on and charging me. They've just got back to me saying its a BlackBerry problem which I highly doubt.

Someone over there on the message boards said try downloading the service books thing. I was under the impression I'd just put my SIM in and it would work same as any other phone surely? I have a Virgin SIM that I could try?
    01-05-13 01:07 PM
    The 9780 will work *as a voice phone* and some limited data services without BlackBerry service enabled on your account/SIM. However it needs the extra features enabled by your service provider to get full access to all the BlackBerry data options like push email and BBM.

On the call volume topic, the phone should be usable in a quiet room on minimum volume, and each step up should make an obvious increase. With your hearing issues you might need to get a fully hearing friend to help check if you are unsure. There is one other possible issue - I believe the burro-craps in Brussels have set maximum allowable volume levels for new phones and other portable audio equipment within EC, and it might be that older phones have a higher level which exceeds the nanny-state standard. I have certainly seen some plugin (headset socket)equipment which won't work reliably with euro phones because the maximum volume is lower.
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-05-13 02:22 PM
    My 9810 is pretty good, BUT: On the 7.0 OS version I had an option for automatic volume control. That was totally awesome. THEN I upgraded to OS 7.1 and this option vanished. Even checking the online manuals, there is no mention of it anymore. WTH happened ???
    01-05-13 02:27 PM
    Yes, the 9780 is a very solid phone, very well built and reliable. The call volume has been more than sufficient for me. I do about 3000 minutes per month of voice calls. I use earbuds as I don't enjoy holding the phone up to my ear nor using Bluetooth. I think Bluetooth headsets can make it more challenging for the other party to easily understand your conversation whereas I find that a genuine BBerry earbud set is the best and I never get complaints. As a matter of fact, I usually get complements and even surprise that I am on a cellular. I do not use a hearing aid, but as previously stated, there is a setting for this. You said you already tried that.
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-05-13 05:20 PM