Was it 15 days for BB to patch the core stack of the OS against DingleBerry ?
    Blackberry had a helluva lot less devices to patch for dingleberry though. Not really a valid comparison. Maybe 500k Playbooks vs 100s of millions of iOS devices.

Good on you for realizing that the two exploits are very similar though. These "hackers" basically found a new jailbreak exploit on ioS 6, but chose to take some super elaborate route to make sensational headlines. Smart on them as well, as I'm sure they made a pretty paycheque from this discovery.

Now as for the article, gotta agree with the general consensus in this thread...pretty lame. I had high hopes for this presentation, but it seems like a whole pile of hyperbole and no real action. It could be that the final build of BB10 hasn't been out long enough for this group to really sink their claws in, but either way, it was overhyped.
    08-02-13 08:04 AM
    The fact is some vendors take security serious. BB is the first on that list. Beyond that I dont care who is next. I know for a fact other manufacturers bury there head in the sand and crucify people for presenting flaws/hacks. When your the top platform, if you are not addressing the security bits, you wont be the top platform for long.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    08-02-13 08:11 AM
    Blackberry had a helluva lot less devices to patch for dingleberry though. Not really a valid comparison. Maybe 500k Playbooks vs 100s of millions of iOS devices.

Good on you for realizing that the two exploits are very similar though. These "hackers" basically found a new jailbreak exploit on ioS 6, but chose to take some super elaborate route to make sensational headlines. Smart on them as well, as I'm sure they made a pretty paycheque from this discovery.

Now as for the article, gotta agree with the general consensus in this thread...pretty lame. I had high hopes for this presentation, but it seems like a whole pile of hyperbole and no real action. It could be that the final build of BB10 hasn't been out long enough for this group to really sink their claws in, but either way, it was overhyped.
    Not sure why the number of devices matters? If it is a core OS issue if you have 100 or 100 million you have to address it the same. Scale matters in terms of teams, while BlackBerry does have (for their organization) a very large security team, I do not know the comparable stats for Apple.

BlackBerry was able to patch the exploit rather quickly, which is something they are known for. Apple has the luxury of catering (mostly) to individuals, who are (generally) not nearly concerned about things like this. As soon as you get governments and military involved, things change dramatically.
    undone and Cesare21 like this.
    08-02-13 11:53 AM
    Not sure why the number of devices matters? If it is a core OS issue if you have 100 or 100 million you have to address it the same. Scale matters in terms of teams, while BlackBerry does have (for their organization) a very large security team, I do not know the comparable stats for Apple.

BlackBerry was able to patch the exploit rather quickly, which is something they are known for. Apple has the luxury of catering (mostly) to individuals, who are (generally) not nearly concerned about things like this. As soon as you get governments and military involved, things change dramatically.
    No, Apple has to consider the impact on 100s of millions of users. Bandwidth, unintended side effects, etc. Basically everyone using an iPhone, which is their current bread-and-butter would be affected. They have a lot more to consider than blackberry did. If blackberry messed up a few percent of their "pet project" Playbooks, it would impact a small number of users. If Apple messed up the same percentage of iPhones, it would be an absolute epidemic.

More users complicates things when it comes to software updates, you can't possibly argue that.
    08-02-13 12:02 PM
    What's disconcerting, from a security standpoint, is that they've known about this hack since "earlier this year" yet chose to not patch the current OS. Instead they will leave their security conscious customers vulnerable until sometime this fall. Until then, it's open season on iOS devices.

Posted via CB10
    well I think that's slightly melodramatic to say its open season when youd need to plug the device into a specific charger which isn't the same in looks as the standard one.
    that I guess is almost akin to clicking a link in an email, youd have to consciously do something that didn't seem quite right.

Also it would be wrong to point out that BlackBerry knew about the disappearing messages before they pushed out the 10.1 MR update, yet they still did. while not a security issue it still shows they have know for a while, which is the same problem at its core.
    08-02-13 12:09 PM
    No, Apple has to consider the impact on 100s of millions of users. Bandwidth, unintended side effects, etc. Basically everyone using an iPhone, which is their current bread-and-butter would be affected. They have a lot more to consider than blackberry did. If blackberry messed up a few percent of their "pet project" Playbooks, it would impact a small number of users. If Apple messed up the same percentage of iPhones, it would be an absolute epidemic.

More users complicates things when it comes to software updates, you can't possibly argue that.
    No, not arguing that at all, I just misunderstood your point. There is definitely more they need to test before rolling it out. But they also appear to run an update schedule rather than hot fixes like BlackBerry does. They will have, at most, a few software releases a year, and roll their fixes/security patches/etc into those. Instead of the approach that BlackBerry does, which is patch and roll out as quickly as possible.

BlackBerry does also have the issue of waiting for carriers to approve said patches, which presents additional issues. So they have to figure that into their process, something Apple does not.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    08-02-13 12:11 PM
    I hope he is somewhat amused now that BlackBerry has announced that the US Defense Information System Agency (DISA) has given both the BlackBerry Z10 and Q10 the Authority to Operate (ATO) on the Department of Defense (DoD) networks

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 09:34 AM
    It's good that QUIP is off by default, but my concern would be whether someone, anyone (government/NSA, BlackBerry noc, carrier, etc.) can turn it on remotely without the user knowing.
    08-08-13 09:56 AM
    It's good that QUIP is off by default, but my concern would be whether someone, anyone (government/NSA, BlackBerry noc, carrier, etc.) can turn it on remotely without the user knowing.
    That would be an example of an exploit he could have demonstrated, if it is indeed possible. Trouble is, he never managed to demonstrate a genuine exploit - he just discussed the theoretical possibility thereof.
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    08-08-13 05:27 PM
    Yes... exactly like the possibility scientists speak of having and finding intelligent life in the universe...

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 06:26 PM
    I hope he is somewhat amused now that BlackBerry has announced that the US Defense Information System Agency (DISA) has given both the BlackBerry Z10 and Q10 the Authority to Operate (ATO) on the Department of Defense (DoD) networks

Posted via CB10
    So what? Windows 7 is also approved and it has vulnerabilities galore...
    08-09-13 06:49 PM
    Nothing is unhackable given resources and time. And Mr. Ralf is having those luxuries, but instead he prove it through some replicable methods, he choose to just empty talk.

Just show me the code Mr. Ralf...

Posted via CB10
    20 years and counting... still waiting to see a rooted blackberry. maybe 20 years from now? Is that what you meant?

Posted via CB10
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    08-10-13 10:31 PM
37 12