Hey guys!

Ok, so I have a new dilemma today and its really starting to bother me. Out of no where, my Curve deleted all my SMS and MMS and my call log.

I read some other similar problems, but I have a memory card where I store all my graphics and sounds. But its a huge problem. This is not the first time my curve just deletes all my SMS's and my call logs.

Any suggestions on what the problem is?
    01-11-08 07:12 PM
    Do you have alot of apps. on your BB?
    01-11-08 07:13 PM
    I don't think I do. I think the only add-on thing i have is Opera Mini and Telenav.

Do you think I should go to my Advanced Options and remove useless programs?
    01-11-08 07:16 PM
    Having a large amount of images, ringtones and or games stored in the device may reduce available free memory. If the BlackBerry Pearl's memory is at or near capacity the handheld will begin to delete the oldest Call Log and Text Message (SMS) entries in an effort to free up memory space. In order to prevent this, free memory must be increased. NOTE: Saved messages will not be deleted.

(Thanks to John Clark and BobRoss @ BlackBerryForums.com for collecting this information)

Determine the Amount of Free Memory on the BlackBerry

On your BlackBerry, go to Options > Status. That will show your amount of free memory.
    If the amount of free memory available on the handheld is 0, the amount of free memory must be increased to prevent the handheld from auto deleting call log entries and messages.
    Suggested Ways to Increase Free Memory

Reduce Allocated Media Memory
    1. Scroll to and select the Media icon.
    2. Select the Pictures icon.
    3. Select the Device Memory icon.
    4. Press the Menu key, select Options.
    5. Change the Device Memory Limit to 12MB.
    6. Press the Menu key, select Save.
    7. Hard Reset the BlackBerry.
    Reduce Calendar Keep Appointments to 60 days or less
    1. Scroll to and select the Calendar icon.
    2. Press the Menu key, select Options.
    3. Scroll to and select Keep Appointments.
    4. Select the desired amount of time to keep appointments.
    5. Press the Menu key, select Save.
    6. Hard Reset the BlackBerry.
    Reduce the amount of time Messages are kept on the handheld.
    1. Scroll to and select the Messages icon.
    2. Press the Menu key, select Options.
    3. Select General Options.
    4. Scroll to and select Keep Messages.
    5. Select the desired amount of time to keep appointments.
    6. Press the Menu key, select Save.
    Clear Cache and Cookies
    1. Scroll to and select the Browser or Media Net icon.
    2. Press the Menu key.
    3. Select Options.
    4. Select Cache Operations.
    5. Select Clear History.
    6. Note: Clear History will no longer appear once it has been selected.
    Delete Unused Languages
    Note: If deleting both the unused languages and the sample video wait to restart the device until both processes have been completed
    1. Scroll to and select the Settings icon.
    2. Select the Options icon.
    3. Select Advanced Options.
    4. Select Applications.
    5. Scroll to and highlight each of the unused languages under the Input Support and Language and Input Support subheadings.
    6. Press the Menu key.
    7. Select Delete.
    8. Select Delete.
    9. When prompted to Restart select No until all unused languages are deleted.
    10. NOTE: Repeat steps 4-8 until all unused languages are deleted then select yes when prompted to restart.
    11. Hard Reset the BlackBerry.
    Delete Sample Video
    Note: If deleting both the unused languages and the sample video wait to restart the device until both processes has been completed. The sample video is the pre-installed video for the blackberry and is ~2.2MB in size.
    1. Scroll to and select the Settings icon.
    2. Select the Options icon.
    3. Select Advanced Options.
    4. Select Applications.
    5. Scroll to and highlight "Blackberry Sample Video".
    6. Press the Menu key.
    7. Select Delete.
    8. Select Delete.
    9. When prompted to Restart select yes.
    10. Hard Reset the BlackBerry.
    Change Call Log Options
    1. Scroll to and select the Phone icon.
    2. Press the Menu key.
    3. Select Options.
    4. Select Call Logging.
    5. Select either Missed Calls or None.
    6. Hard Reset the BlackBerry.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While the first section is for the average user, this second I wouldn’t recommend for any but the advanced users.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How To" on setting up your new device for maximum memory. We want to add the apps we want/use but get rid of anything we don't want. In the following tutorial I will go over what I do on my devices to maximize memory but get the apps I want when I get a new BB or update the OS on my existing BB. This post may seem long but the process is actually quite simple once you get through it. Any of the .alx editing (steps 4 & 5) can be skipped if you just want the device to be setup "out of the box." If you skip steps 4 & 5 you will have a device loaded with apps as the carrier wanted them to be. You'll still be able to remove unused languages, sample videos and a few apps that take up space.

Here is what we are going to go over:

1. Install Desktop Manager.
    2. Install OS package.
    3. Delete vendor.xml.
    4. Edit Blackberry.alx & LBS.alx.
    5. Remove unwanted .cod's from the java folder and place in "Removed Modules" folder.
    6. Connect BB and run DM.
    7. Open Application Loader and finish to add/remove the .cod's added/removed from java folder.

Detailed instructions:

1. Install Desktop Manager to your computer. If you didn't receive a disk with your device or you want the latest version of this software click
    here. This is the program that you will use for adding software, syncing your PIM data, backing up and restoring data, and if you're on a BES you can use it to connect to your corporate mail profile to start Enterprise Activations. It's also the software that installs new OS's to your device. (Note: OS's are not included with Desktop Manager but must be installed separately to the PC, even if an OS is already installed to your handheld.) During installation be sure to select BES/Redirector for email if you are on a corporate BES and also the type of email system your company uses i.e. Exchange, Lotus, etc. Desktop Manager will connect to your work email profile and server if installed properly and you have access to your company's network (via LAN, VPN, etc.) If you're not on a BES, or if you are on a BES but you don't want to connect this particular computer to your corporate email system, install using Blackberry Internet System (BIS) method for email (even if you don't get email on your device.) Install using BIS method if you are unsure. However, if you're a BES user and you install using BIS method you won't be able to Enterprise Activate after an OS update. You'll need to contact your IT dept for a password (just adding or removing applications or themes will not require a new Enterprise Activation.) If you're unsure contact your IT administrator for help on installing Desktop Manager for use with your company.

2. Install your Blackberry's OS installation package to your PC. Desktop Manager needs this software installed in order to recognize the software already on your Blackberry. If you install the same OS that's already on your device then you can make changes to the apps already installed on your BB. Note: If you install a newer version then Desktop Manager will want to upgrade the OS on your BB. An upgrade takes roughly an hour so if you have time for that go ahead and install a newer version. You can use newer versions from any other carrier that releases the OS for your device. For example you can load Vodafone's 8300 OS to your AT&T 8300. The OS's are made for each individual device not necessarily anything special for the carrier. It's safe to load another carrier's OS to your device. Don't worry. However, for the purposes of this thread we are going to optimize the OS that is already on your BB so be sure you download the version that is already on your BB, if that is all you want to do. If you don't know what version you have you can look on your BB under Options >about or from the home screen hold the alt key and type E A C E. The Version number will be in a format like: 4.2.2.170. Once you know your version number you can go to this site and download the OS for your device. Again, if you have a GSM device you can download from any GSM carrier. If you have a CDMA device you can download from any CDMA carrier. The important thing is to download the same version number as is already on your handheld. Once you download it, double click on it to install it to your PC. This is in addition to installing Desktop Manager as described in step one. Note: OS's have two version numbers. One is a package number and the other is an application version. The application version is what is listed in Options >about. Pay careful attention to make sure you get the right application version.

3. Once Desktop Manager AND your OS are installed to your PC you need to go to the following directory and delete a file. Go to C:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file called
    "vendor.xml." This file just tells Desktop Manager to only load an OS to the device of the same carrier that's branded to the device. For example, if I have a TMobile BB and download an OS from Vodafone the OS won't load to the device unless I delete the vendor.xml file. Nothing is lost by deleting this file it only serves this one purpose and nothing else. Once that is deleted you can continue on. (Note: This vendor.xml file gets reinstalled with any OS installation or Desktop Manager installation so you may have to delete it again at a later date if you install another OS or update Desktop Manager.)

4. Before we plug in the device and remove anything we don't want lets make a few modifications for themes. You can add all the different vendor's themes to your device if you like, including the TMobile MyFaves application/theme. However, I don't recommend leaving them all on your device at one time. There is a method of editing a file called "Blackberry.alx" so that these other themes will be loaded to the device. Each carrier has their own vendor code. For example TMobile's is 100. AT&T's is 102. These codes are written into the device and can't be changed. This is how Desktop Manager knows what brand of device you have and loads the OS appropriately. If we leave everything as is, then AT&T theme will be loaded to the AT&T devices but not to, say, TMobile's devices. We can edit the Blackberry.alx so that the desktop Manager will load any or all of the themes. If you have an AT&T device we can edit the LBS.alx file so that Blackberry Maps will be loaded (AT&T doesn't load BBMaps to their devices. They want you to purchase mapping software. However, we can load BBMaps easily to an AT&T device.) Also, if you have an AT&T device it will have PTT (push to talk) preloaded on it. This is great if you use PTT but if you don't use it only takes up valuable memory space. We're going to make some simple edits to remove PTT and add themes.

To Add All Themes we will remove the ones we don't want later.)

Navigate the following location in windows explorer:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files
    In this folder should be a folder corresponding to the version of software you've installed. For instance installing Bharti's 4.2.1.91 software for 8700 creates the folder:

8700-v4.2.1.91_P2.3.0.76

In this folder, open the "Blackberry.alx" file in your text editor of choice.
    Scroll down until you see lines of text with the following:

_vendorID="xxx"

where xxx is one or many 3 digit values. The best way to accomplish this is to search for the "_vendorID=" portion using the editor's built in search. For each instance, remove the string including the quotes and the containing values.

Once the vendor ID info is removed the theme listed below will be installed to any 8700. Do this for all the instances of vendor ID that are there. They're all in one place so once you find them you'll see them all.
    Once you've done this to all of them you will get all the themes on your device. Save the file (as the same name.) We will talk later about how to remove the ones you don't want and add them back if you do want them.

To Remove the Unwanted Modules (themes, applications, etc.

5. Now we want to remove the themes and applications we don't want. Our editing of the Blackberry.alx will add everything. If you want everything then you can skip this step. However, some of the added themes are large and the device doesn't perform to well with them all installed. It's easy to run out of memory and lose emails and call logs when the device runs low on memory. The easiest way to remove the themes we don't want is to remove them from the java directory. In the same directory as the .alx files is a folder named java. In that folder are all the .cod's that get loaded to the device during an OS installation. All we have to do is remove the unwanted theme .cod's from the java folder and they will not be installed to the device. We can also remove the PTT .cod files to remove PTT from the AT&T devices. Another application I like to remove this way is Voice Activated Dialing. If you use VAD then don't remove the VAD .cod's but if you're like me it isn't worth the memory it takes up. Be aware that if the VAD files are removed from OS 4.3 devices then the Option >About screen becomes inaccessible. You can get the same info by typing in alt + EACE from the home screen on your BB.

Create a folder in the java folder called Removed Modules. Then simply move the unwanted theme .cod's into that folder. You are safe to remove any vendor coded .cod.

Remove any you don't want. I usually get rid of the 102 (AT&T) as it's the largest and I don't like it anyway. You can always load them all, try them out, and then go back and remove the ones you don't want. Most of us have a theme or two that are our favorites. Just load your one or two fives and remove the others. You can come back and add them again later, if you want some variety.

The themes are generally as follows:

Theme .cod's are listed as:
    net_rim_theme_100...
    net_rim_theme_102a... etc.

The numbers below are the vendor ID's for each carrier and will help you identify which themes are which.

You can safely delete any of the below vendor-numbered themes. The size listed is an average size for that carrier's theme. As you can see a couple of them are quite big.

100=TMobile 240kb
    102=AT&T 769kb
    104=Sprint 17kb
    105=Venison 572kb
    107=Rogers 287kb
    109=Bell 194kb
    114=TMO UK 243kb
    115=TIM 698kb
    119=Orange 635kb
    120=Vodafone 624kb
    125=O2 349kb
    129=Telefonica 30kb

TMO MyFaves apps will be automatically loaded. However, you can also safely delete TMO MyFaves apps if you don't use MyFaves. We've edited the Blackberry.alx file to add them so if you want the MyFaves, leave the cod's in the java folder. If not, move the following MyFaves .cod's in your Removed Modules folder:

net_rim_bb_media_100_five_icon_library.cod
    net_rim_tmo_five.cod

Note: I don't recommend removing the bbdimension. and dimension Zen themes as some of the above themes need these in order to run.

Note: Be careful when removing a theme that might be in use. If you remove a theme that is currently in use your BB will boot up to a black and white screen with basic icons. If this happens, simply navigate to the swiss army knife icon (options or settings) and then scroll down to themes and select a theme. Your BB doesn't know what theme to use if you delete the one it's using so it boots with the basic default theme included with the OS.

To remove PTT from AT&T devices remove the following .cod's:

net_rim_bb_phone_ptt_app.cod
    KnJCDE.cod

To Remove Voice Activated Dialing:

net_rim_vad.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource__en.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__en_US.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__en_GB.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource__de.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__de.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource__fr.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__fr.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__fr_CA.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource__it.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__it.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource__es.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__es.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__es_MX.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource__pt.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource__pt_BR.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__pt_BR.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource__hu.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource__ca.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource__cs.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource__nl.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__nl.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource__pl.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__pl.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource__tr.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource__ru.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__ru.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource__zh_CN.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__zh_CN.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__zh_HK.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource__ar.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource__ja.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource__he.cod

Note: On Voice Dialing you likely don't need to delete every one of these .cod's. If you are using English only you can delete the first 4 on this list. If you're using something other than English, delete the first 4 and then any other of the .cod's for the language you're using.
    01-11-08 07:19 PM
    To Remove Preinstalled Wallpapers:

The prenistalled Wallpapers are the second largest .cod installed to the Bib’s device memory. The first is the sample video. On some of the Pearls, the preinstalled wallpapers are the largest, even larger than the sample video. The sample video can be removed using the application loader but the preinstalled wallpapers can't. We can remove them by removing the associated .cod from the java folder:

On Qwerty devices:
    net_rim_bb_media_320x240_b.cod (1.7MB)

On SureType devices (pearl
    net_rim_bb_media_240x260_b.cod (3.5MB)

Note: Removing this media. cod will also remove custom folder icons (which I don't use anyway.) You can still add a folder to your home screen but your only choice will be the yellow folder icon. (thanks to Iare Tosevite for bringing this to my attention.)

You can always move the .cod's back to the java folder and re run application loader to add back any of these themes or files. Likewise you can add all of them, find out which ones you like and then go back and move the ones you don't like into the removed modules folder and run application loader to remove them from the device. Pretty simple, really.

6. Once you've removed anything you know you don't want we can now connect the device to the computer and run application Loader.
    If you installed a newer OS than what was on the device then Desktop Manager should prompt you to upgrade once you plug in the device and start Desktop Manager. If not, run Application Loader and you should see a list of applications. To maximize space uncheck anything you don't need.

Personally, I uncheck the following:

All foreign languages.
    Any preinstalled IM applications (since I use JiveTalk)
    Any foreign Characters and Font Support
    Blackberry MDS Runtime
    Blackberry Sample Video
    Brickbreaker
    DOD Root Certificates
    Help (if you are new to BB you may not want to remove this as it can be "helpful.

And I make sure the following ARE checked:

Core Applications
    Blackberry Attachment Service.
    Blackberry Messenger (if you don't have a data plan or you don't use it, this is a good one to uncheck. You
    can always plug in and check it again later if you want it back.)
    Any other apps as desired (tasks, memo pad, Password Keeper, etc.)
    Any Third Party Apps I want to leave installed on the device.

This window is also where you "Add" 3rd party apps. Click on the Add button and browse to where you stored the .alx and .cod for the 3rd party app you want to install. Note: If you only made changes to the java folder for themes, etc. you will need to open application loader (it won't prompt you for anything) and you may not see any changes on the application loader screen with all the checkboxes. However, the changes will be made when you finish the application loader.

When you are done checking and unchecking boxes click Next.

The next window will tell you what's going to be added and removed from the device. If you're doing an upgrade there will be many items listed. If you only made some minor changes to themes then you will see just those listed. Click Finish to add or remove the themes or start the upgrade. If you're upgrading be sure and make the backup that the loader prompts you to do. Also, if you're upgrading the device will appear to hang with an hourglass for up to 20 minutes or more twice during
    the upgrade. This is normal. When a new OS has been added the first boot takes 10-20 minutes. Subsequent boots only take a minute or two as normal.

Now your device should be optimized for max memory. I also recommend using a media card (if your device supports it) for photos and media storage. You don't want those photos taking up space that you just worked so hard to free up.

Good luck and happy thumbing....

Now plug your device in, run application loader all the way through and you should have those old ringtones along with your new ones. (there may be a duplicate or two but, hey, you've freed up so much memory you can afford it, right?)
    01-11-08 07:20 PM
    the above posts were taken from bbf posted by John Clark
    01-11-08 07:20 PM
    None of those was the problem. I have a lot of space free.

I have 10.1MB free, to be exact. Sooo its not space. ANd its not deleting SMS's starting from the oldest, it just deletes all of them.
    01-11-08 07:47 PM
    Sith. I tried removing everything by the posted instructions and when I hooked my BB 8130 pearl to the device manager I get an error that says

Invalid Configuration

The application "Browser" cannot be loaded, because it requires the following applications that are not available
    net.rim.blackberry.xml
    01-18-08 01:24 PM
    I was just reading this thread.

So a few questions....

If I wanted to REMOVE the Video and some of the languages and other stuff mentioned in this thread, is there a way to first backup or save them so that if I wanted to restore those items, I could do so?

I know I can access my SD card as another Drive on my computer and play with adding and deleting items there but I do not think that the internal MEMORY (storage/whatever) is accessible as another Drive on my computer when hooked to usb.

Thanks in advance.
    01-18-08 02:43 PM
    I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think your problem is available system memory. Not the memory available of your sd card. If you have applications running like telnav or a messenger program, it will eat your available system memory. To prevent this, when you are done with an application, you must close the application, not just exit.
    01-18-08 03:01 PM
    Sith,
    Will it be save and I gain more memory if I remove Voice Dial files other than English ( French,Arabic, etc)?
    02-14-08 07:23 PM
    I followed the instructions above.
    But my free memory does not significantly increase

I already removed PTT, Sample Video a few weeks ago.

What I removed are mainly the themes for various carrier.

Is this probably why the memory being freed are minor?
    I have ~18Mb, now about ~18.5Mb
    02-14-08 07:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD