View Poll Results: Yay or nay?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

0 0%
  • Nay

0 0%
  • Here's what I think.... (others than yay or nay, please state?)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Hi folks. Yes, this is probably insane, but hear me out. It triggered this thought of mine when I was toying around with my brand new Huawei U8800 and getting so frustrated despite the new Jelly Bean, Google Now, etc etc experience with the phone. (yes i'm a poorfag and i cannot replace my partially broken BlackBerry Torch 9800 with a Z10, its just way overpriced, and Z10 is rumoured to be MORE expensive in my country, and the curve versions are probably going to be way too compromised for entry level by BlackBerry that it'll screw up the BB10 experience,)

In today's world that every single OS giants are trying to consolidate themselves by erecting a higher, thicker wall (Apple, Microsoft, Google-Android, and now even Ubuntu into the fray) so that users get locked into a certain ecosystem and therefore guaranteeing a foreseeable sustainable profit for themselves) I believe that BlackBerry should avoid taking the path and be bold enough to be open. (no, not Android that kind of open, its just an illusion, a mirage full of deceit and lies via compromises[violated] instead of compromising[give and take] the user experiences) I believe that BlackBerry should look back into the key component that made BlackBerry phones a marvel at that time, and that is BIS. To use BIS to poke and punch a hole through these walled gardens.

Now, everybody can complain about BIS, and BlackBerry has certainly listened by allowing BlackBerry phone users connect to data without using BIS (BIS has evolved from its original purpose as a standard that BlackBerry use for its GPRS enabled devices). I believe as a matter of fact BlackBerry didn't even make any major announcements as to what BlackBerry can do / will do in regards of its BIS services. We all know that BES will continue to be implemented for devices that needed them based on the licensing model, and per subscription, etc etc... which would be expanded further to non BlackBerry devices.

I just want to also point out that BlackBerry making BBM cross-platform would not be enough. Making BlackBerry phones super data efficient would not be enough (it'll still stand out on markets that have data tier caps, but not much, since brand loyalty is an issue), and making the new OS and hardware nearly impervious to hacking, snooping, spying, etc will still not be enough to wow the average customers.

I think by redesigning the usage (how it is used for) and purpose (what it is used for) of BlackBerry Internet Service, can be a wow-inducing factor strong enough, if its executed properly and marketed properly.

BlackBerry Internet Service should be an entirely revamped new service by itself (I believe BlackBerry should even consider making these cross-platform making the phone's STRENGTHS in security and reliability stand out) but by offering these few services with the keywords PRIVACY and ACCESIBILITY.

1. E-mail + Activesync + (any other thing)
    2. Streaming services.
    3. True Push (data via BIS as an "on top", data via BIS as a pipe, or data via both normal and BIS; settings per se)
    4. Cloud services (can be tied to streaming)
    5. VPN (the BIS level security stuff that's already present in today's BIS?)
    6. Data compression
    7. Browser (TOR-like browser with scroogle on)

Now, before the axes fall and the spears fly, and the shafts shoved into my body parts, (because there'll be a cry "why do you even need this?" for what I believe as a legitimate concern) I want to reiterate and re-emphasize the keywords "PRIVACY" and "ACCESSIBILITY".

There are so many things about other OS-es that are just plain awkward, and to you feel free to disagree, but I've noticed the following (yes, if you read my previous postings i'm probably eligible to be categorized as a die-hard-fan-boy of BlackBerry)

1. Apple is just way too imposing and too egoistical to even budge from their worldview of things.
    2. Google turns you into a product instead of a user. (privacy invasion, etc etc)
    3. Microsoft is just gargantuan-ly immobile.
    4. Ubuntu is a brand new upstart that i can't make up my mind what's its trying to do.

And the fundamental issue with them is that eventually, there will be walls so high raised by these companies that people will stick to them not because they are innovative enough to be appealing, but because they are just fanboys or too entrenched into the ecosystem.

I believe BlackBerry should not attempt to emulate this model. (Look at Microsoft again, and again, and again at trying too hard to copy Apple)

The few services that I posted above is just what I call as "umbrella services" that could be offered as a package on top of existing BlackBerry handheld devices.

Let me point you to my theorical use-case scenario:

1. User has a Blackberry Z10. User uses the internet.

Case: browsing, surfing downloading.
    what is affected: everything. From user behaviour, to keystrokes, searches, etc. The moment we use services like Google (even Mozilla Firefox uses Google dang it) Google keeps a full record, even in incognito. I do NOT want anybody to know my internet history. I do not want people to know what i've done on my internet, not now, not in the past, not in the future. What I do stays with me. And nobody should have access to this. Even when you have an open FACEBOOK tab, FACEBOOK secretly records WHAT YOU DO. You see those "LIKE THIS ON FACEBOOK" ads and links? that's FACEBOOK doing, recording you. Even if you ignored it. It records.

2. User has a limited / capped internet connection with no perks.

Case: everything that uses data
    What is affected: data compression, data amount. With some sort of data compression or even a special plan for BIS, users will be having benefits of stretching their data usage by having the compression and optimization on.

3. User has an email account, free, courtesy of company xyz (and other cloud services such as storage)

Case: What happens to stored data on the internet.
    What is affected: Who has access to my data, and how? If you're familiar with TOSDR.ORG, period. If you aren't, go to that site, and you'll see what I mean. Of course this implementation of BIS will not solve all of this in one go, but at the very least we can retain to a certain extent what is rightfully our own content and be left alone without any shady "we'll share this with our partners yeah" kind of deals. Even if you look at cases storage providers not all can tell you that they'll NOT share your data with other people. Do we have to pay for privacy? Taken for granted, no. But will people pay to have more privacy? YES.

3a) In the case of emails, connectivity and ability to sync is important. So Microsoft has a feud with Google? No problem. Pay license to MS, and continue syncing with Google's API because BLACKBERRY is not aligned with either. BlackBerry can choose to have both, and does NOT need to choose only 1 or another. A full blown E-MAIL CLIENT access is even more awesome with the privacy and ABSOLUTELY NO ADS and SPAM protection. Now who does NOT want that?.

4. User has a browser.
    Case: what happens to what we use the browser.
    What is affected: using the browser. I dont' even want to rant.

How BLACKBERRY can make it work.

I think this is a tall order, but if I look at the packages that were meant for pre-paid / pre-pay services in South East Asian regions, I think BlackBerry can simply re-design the entire thing based on the models; like basic, lite, or full premium ( base price to be same so that the profit is stable) for catering to users in varying regions with varying needs.

I would also think that BlackBerry could implement a more "puncture-centric" philosophy to the BIS, so that its usable by users of any OS (depending on what ever limitations is incurred upon their devices as per OS) and would link to any formats, so that its broad enough to be considered OPEN (because we paid for the stuffs that requires lincensing) but at the same time secure enough that we don't lose the data to prying eyes (look at BBM and how its safe from prying eyes from many conventional stuffs?)

i'm not sure how to word my words further on, so please excuse me if i left hanging. Its a theory that i'm thinking, and thus i'll be forced to defend my theory if somebody questions (well its a good thing to have a good discussion no?)
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-21-13 09:19 AM
    This thread reminds me of my own in a lot of ways...
    Scary....

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=794697

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 09:49 AM
    Blimey holy mother of ... I read the entire thread of yours and even the discussions you had. I'll love to continue the conversation.

Here's what I think in detail of the EMAIL that BlackBerry can do (taking some cues from your thread)
    A) An "one for all and all for one approach"

- 1 blackberry id that's used for BBM and also email (that means PIN messages goes to devices, BBID messages goes to your BlackBerry Inbox. This is one to one approach.
    - 1 BlackBerry ID tied in to all your emails that uses ActiveSync, this sync, that sync, etc. Sender or recipient will be programmed to their respective email services in case that User terminates his / her BlackBerry BIS . Here's how it works:
    * Somebody sends a mail to User's GMail. On this *NEW BIS*, user will just only log in to ONLY 1 email account, and respond. The return mail is sent from GMAIL. Then another Somebody sends email to User's LIVE. mail. User logs in to User's BBID, and responds. Mail is sent back from LIVE. even though User logged in on BBID BlackBerry Email. All secure, no phishing, no spying crap from Google, no ads, etc.
    *Attachments can be directly sent to cloud storage and kept safely (with passwords, or no passwords, etc)
    * Email to be truly push base, FETCH / PULL only on DEMAND. (saves bandwidth and battery) This also means BIS will be the post office and the postman to deliver, leaving your device having ZERO need to pull from servers every frickin 15 minutes.

That's just for Email portion of things. Think this can be improved upon?
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-21-13 10:10 AM
    I like your idea. The problem I see with the privacy stuff is most users do not value their privacy enough that they will pay for these things. It's expensive for BlackBerry to implement all that. People seem to want to be tracked in exchange for free this and that.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    05-21-13 10:21 AM
    I don't think that's a problem. Essentially new BlackBerry users do not need to worry about getting forced to use this new BIS. Users that need it can opt in. It may or may not have every existing BlackBerry users opt in but at least the company is not trapped at offering either one option. They can offer BOTH option this way which I think is very good!

Sent from my U8800 using Tapatalk 2
    05-21-13 11:18 AM