As a requent traveller, I continue to use legacy BB due to the fact that BIS is not available in BB10. BIS's superior lower data consumption due to compression makes the switch into BB10 without BIS impossible because of exorbitant data roaming charges. In quite many countries, legacy BB comes with unlimited global data roaming on BIS for as low as USD 50 a month. This is unlimited data roaming in alot of countries such as the entire USA, the entire Europe and almost the entire Asia.

Therefore if BIS is available even as an option in BB10, I believe most legacy BB owners will switch into BB10 because it is a superior OS in many respects. If BIS can be made an option for BB10 OS, then perhaps it can even be developed into an app for android and iOS users.
    jevinzac, rarsen and sum one like this.
    04-13-14 05:43 AM
    how about a BES personal license? That would be much better. Much richer features, and you still get all the good stuff of BIS.
    04-13-14 06:26 AM
    how about a BES personal license? That would be much better. Much richer features, and you still get all the good stuff of BIS.
    Awesome idea. I would love to see BlackBerry offer something like this even if it was a freemium offer (limited functionality for free and pay for more).

Blackberry Z10: STL100-3, OS 10.2.1.537
    Mr.V786 likes this.
    04-13-14 10:03 AM
    New BES10 doesn't do compression. BlackBerry has stated that compression is no longer need because most everything is compressed.

With Bb10 you can now swap SIMS and do anything you could before, unlike with BBOS. I verified this on a trip to Germany last summer and used a local SIM for two weeks. With T-Mobile now I have unlimited data and reduced call and texting fees in over two hundred countries so now I don't even have to do that. Also in the US those unlimited BIS international plans were being killed off. I left Sprint when they cancelled them, and T-Mobile killed them off too. Carriers are trying to get rid of BIS because it makes zero sense for them to offer it.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 10:41 AM
    New BES10 doesn't do compression. BlackBerry has stated that compression is no longer need because most everything is compressed.

With Bb10 you can now swap SIMS and do anything you could before, unlike with BBOS. I verified this on a trip to Germany last summer and used a local SIM for two weeks. With T-Mobile now I have unlimited data and reduced call and texting fees in over two hundred countries so now I don't even have to do that. Also in the US those unlimited BIS international plans were being killed off. I left Sprint when they cancelled them, and T-Mobile killed them off too. Carriers are trying to get rid of BIS because it makes zero sense for them to offer it.

Posted via CB10
    If I recall correctly, the BIS on BBOS (at least for my Torch 9800) works on both ways.

Incoming traffic gets their compression from BlackBerry servers, outgoing traffic is already shaped via the hardware .

If i'm going to use BIS as an objective, the precedent cases I would point to is Onavo extend, and opera mobile. Both have different market strategies, and ironically people who don't value their data being mined as much would go for these 2 companies.

In fact one of the reasons why the older BIS plans gets favoured, is that companies like opera mobile are offering carriers (at least where I live) to reroute the data on smartphones through their servers (via the app, opera mini) and the carriers GET paid to do that. For BIS, carriers pay BIS.

You tell me to whom carriers are answerable to, profit or customers's rights to privacy.
    04-13-14 10:54 AM
    The problem is why do people like BIS plans??

If it were solely for security and encryption, then yeah a personal hosted BES account would be a great option.

But if it is because some carrier still offering 2G service has a 250MB BlackBerry plan... Once that carrier upgrades their equipment and drops those cheap plans, I'm not sure those hosted BES plans would mean anything.

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm likes this.
    04-13-14 11:40 AM
    I switched from curve to Z10 last to last week. Since then i was searching for a thread similar to this...can't something be done to get back at least BIS for bb10.. only for this reason i'm having a feeling of being downgraded....

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 12:17 PM
    04-13-14 12:23 PM
    I miss bis a lot

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 12:38 PM
    The problem is why do people like BIS plans??

If it were solely for security and encryption, then yeah a personal hosted BES account would be a great option.

Especially since, contrary to popular belief, BIS in and of itself offered neither security or encryption. Just compression.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 12:59 PM
    I believe I read somewhere that BES10/BES12 may allow individuals to purchase through certain carriers. Like the carrier would act as the hosting company, and you pay a monthly fee to belong.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 01:11 PM
    No. I' ve not. Thank you very much for sharing. Almost got all my answers.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 02:13 PM
    This has all been covered before on past threads but in a nutshell the reason BB10 does not use BIS is very simple. The carriers have always hated BIS for the simple fact that all data that goes through the BIS servers was/is compressed preventing the carriers from upselling their customers high data (high cost) plans. As well there was BB social plans that allowed unlimited use of facebook, twitter, email, and bbm without the need of a data plan, not to mention carriers have to pay Blackberry BIS fees. This worked in Blackberrys favour when they held market share but now the tide has turned so Blackberry had to give up on offering BIS for BB10. This also explains why legacy BB's are out selling BB10 handsets.
    sum one likes this.
    04-13-14 02:26 PM
    I have stated this before, this is the main reason why many are reluctant to switch from BBOS, BlackBerry needs to find a way to introduce at least give the option for consumers who prefer the advantages of BIS.on BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 02:38 PM
    I have stated this before, this is the main reason why many are reluctant to switch from BBOS, BlackBerry needs to find a way to introduce at least give the option for consumers who prefer the advantages of BIS.on BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    I think this would be a great way for BB to make some money and satisfy many customers by making BIS, or even a consumer BES, an App on BBW that you can chose to D/L and pay say $2 a month for, I think many people would pay BB directly to get data compression, and push email at the very least.

JR
    04-13-14 02:57 PM
    I never miss BIS after moving to BlackBerry 10 but I think it is a good idea if BlackBerry can somehow pull it off. So if people want to have portable cheap data plans that still allow push emails and web browsing albeit highly compressed and slow but stable they can.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 03:04 PM

You tell me to whom carriers are answerable to, profit or customers's rights to privacy.
    They are answerable to share holders and investors, not to end users, same as BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 04:07 PM
    I believe I read somewhere that BES10/BES12 may allow individuals to purchase through certain carriers. Like the carrier would act as the hosting company, and you pay a monthly fee to belong.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry should be providing the hosted BES services for individuals and organisations. Get the wireless carriers to only handle their communications network. That way if data leaks to governments without legal basis and public oversight we'll know whom to attack with torches and pitch forks.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q5
    04-13-14 04:30 PM
    100% right
    04-21-14 04:21 AM