From Chris Umiastowsk analysis, he states:

"He acknowledged that, going forward, there would be a change in RIM's service fee structure. Some customers will still want the "full package", including security, mobile device management, and BES 10. They will generate the highest fees for RIM. But some customers won't need any extra services from RIM and will therefore generate no fees at all for Team BlackBerry."

If I do not misunderstand, this means non enterprise consumers will have a choice:
    i. premium BB/RIM services using BIS
    ii. normal 'joe doe' that has a android (that is me), that wishes to have freedom and use any SIM card with any data plan, without worrying about BIS or balckberry.net apn subscription.

I have defended this duality of services (for non BES). It is true that I have no BB background except my PB ... so, perhaps I am missing something important with BIS... but I guess, most people on my corner would also think twice if they had to change their subscription. For sure, most current BB subscribers, will maintain their BB subscription.

To summarize, I think it is a 'good' move for RIM if they want to compete with all guns and directly their competition. For premium BB services, they really need to demonstrate BIS advantages, so new subscribers are attracted this service (instead of forcing them). So, interesting challenge for RIM.

So, what do you think?
    12-20-12 07:55 PM
    Pretty sure Rogers up here is like this already

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    12-20-12 08:03 PM
    I think this is a step toward offering BIS to competitor OSes and maybe third party app developers. This could unlock significant value for RIM.

It also seems to mean BES implementations will no longer be required to handle all traffic -- making deployments much more flexible.

Am I wrong here?
    12-20-12 08:17 PM
    I think this is a step toward offering BIS to competitor OSes and maybe third party app developers. This could unlock significant value for RIM.

It also seems to mean BES implementations will no longer be required to handle all traffic -- making deployments much more flexible.

Am I wrong here?
    I'm with you, I see this as a positive, apparently we might be in the minoroty....certianly Wall street didn't like the sound of it (mind you, its hard to ever tell with the back door motives of short sellers). To me, all I hear is RIM taking the bullets away from the competition by making it easier and more cost effective to get into a new BB ....... meh, what do I know I guess
    12-21-12 07:37 AM
    I have made comments in three other posts that explains why it makes sense here for RIM to do that, I won't repeat again. In order to compete with Android and iPhone here in the USA - they may not have any choice.
    12-21-12 09:38 AM
    BIS is a legacy technology for BB 7 and earlier devices. It will not be used at all with BB 10 or any other 3rd party devices.
    12-21-12 12:28 PM
    BIS is a legacy technology for BB 7 and earlier devices. It will not be used at all with BB 10 or any other 3rd party devices.
    Thats not true at all. BIS is part of the whole BBM experience. How do you expect local carriers to provide simple text-based BBM without RIM's NOC? How are these encrypted messages supposed to get to the destination if you can't even decode the message long enough to see the destination? The NOC is integral to BBM and BIS.
    12-21-12 12:40 PM
    I'm with you, I see this as a positive, apparently we might be in the minoroty....certianly Wall street didn't like the sound of it (mind you, its hard to ever tell with the back door motives of short sellers). To me, all I hear is RIM taking the bullets away from the competition by making it easier and more cost effective to get into a new BB ....... meh, what do I know I guess
    I don't see it as a positive only because we know carriers are effectively pushing this on RIM.

Had RIM come out of the blue saying they have a game plan and a well thought out business model and this was a way to make more money then my opinion would have been different.
    12-21-12 12:54 PM
    They won't detail their game plan until launch, otherwise they have to detail all the features that make up that game plan.

For those holding long positions, the rollercoaster ride of the next month won't matter.
    12-21-12 01:00 PM
    Thats not true at all. BIS is part of the whole BBM experience. How do you expect local carriers to provide simple text-based BBM without RIM's NOC? How are these encrypted messages supposed to get to the destination if you can't even decode the message long enough to see the destination? The NOC is integral to BBM and BIS.
    I expect them to build a new BBM messaging infrastructure that iOS not so tied to BB 7 and its predecessors. In fact, I assume that they already have. It would use the NOC but it won't really be BIS.
    12-21-12 01:39 PM
    Please note that this is the case just for the Dev Alpha device and not BlackBerry 10 launch devices, which will need to have BlackBerry data on the wireless plan.

BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha A and B – What Developers Need To Know «BlackBerry Developer Blog
    12-21-12 02:19 PM
    Please note that this is the case just for the Dev Alpha device and not BlackBerry 10 launch devices, which will need to have BlackBerry data on the wireless plan.

BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha A and B – What Developers Need To Know «BlackBerry Developer Blog
    Interesting but it does appear to contradict what was said on the call. It's possible the carriers are refusing to pay RIM fees for consumer BB10 devices.

Also BIS is not the same as "Blackberry data". BES is also Blackberry data.
    12-21-12 03:02 PM