I'm overseas (in Russia, if it matters), and I'm trying to use BIS over Wifi. I've connected to the hotspot, I can browse the web, ping, and all that, but I can't use BBM or email.

I have a BB data plan back in the USA with Verizon, and everything has always worked fine there. Since it is only Wifi, I don't see why it would matter whether it is in the US or Russia, since I am not trying to connect to a mobile network.

How can I enable BIS to work over Wifi here?
    07-28-10 08:33 AM
    You would need an international plan as what you are wanting to do still uses RIMs servers. (If I am not mistaken.)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-10 08:51 AM
    You would need an international plan as what you are wanting to do still uses RIMs servers. (If I am not mistaken.)

An international plan from Verizon, or can I see if the local carrier (which supports BIS) can help me out?
    07-28-10 09:08 AM
    You would need the international Verizon plan or BIS on a local SIM card - if your phone is unlocked.

07-28-10 09:10 AM
    Wait a minute...an International Plan for using BIS over WIFI?! I don't think that's correct...he'd only need it if he were using BIS on Russia's Cellular Networks, otherwise it should work just fine over Wi-Fi, maybe it's the router settings.
    07-28-10 09:54 AM
    Wait a minute...an International Plan for using BIS over WIFI?! I don't think that's correct...he'd only need it if he were using BIS on Russia's Cellular Networks, otherwise it should work just fine over Wi-Fi, maybe it's the router settings.
    What would the proper router settings have to be? I've only tried this on one router so it may be the case.
    07-28-10 10:06 AM
    Yes. The user would need either an international plan from Verizon or a local BIS plan in order to use any BlackBerry Data Features EVEN over WiFi.
    07-28-10 11:15 AM
    Interesting, I didn't know that. Doesnt make sense to me though. *shrugs*
    07-28-10 04:33 PM
    What doesn't make sense?

BlackBerry Data is routed through the RIM servers.

You must have a BlackBerry Data plan to access that.

Which part is confusing?
    07-28-10 07:53 PM
    What doesn't make sense?

Which part is confusing?
    I already have my device tied to a BlackBerry data plan with Verizon, so that's why it doesn't make sense why I have to get an international plan or a local BIS plan just for using it over Wifi, which should be the same regardless of country.

Could I just activate the Verizon international plan, use an unlocked SIM for calls and texts, and use BIS over Wifi, without actually ever using Verizon's service?
    07-28-10 08:02 PM
    Yes. The user would need either an international plan from Verizon or a local BIS plan in order to use any BlackBerry Data Features EVEN over WiFi.
    What doesn't make sense?

Which part is confusing?
    What doesn't make sense is having to ask for an International Data plan to use BIS overseas via WIFI.

I thought that was only to cover data use over foreign cell networks and as long as you have a regular BIS account (which entitles you to access BBM, the browser, etc over any connection, be it wi-fi or the mobile network), you can access it overseas. The International Data plan is just to cover use of those foreign cell networks without getting screwed with insane data roaming charges.

A buddy of mine went to China and she was able to access BBM on her curve via Hotel Wi-Fi (she even told me so) without subscribing to any International data plan and (she just had her regular BIS data plan), so this is why it is confusing that Verizon is demanding he subscribe to an INTERNATIONAL DATA PLAN to use BIS over WIFI overseas, when a regular BIS account should suffice and WIFI access is agnostic to whether you're connected domestically or internationally.

Of course, knowing Verizon, I wouldn't be surprised if this were really the case.
    Last edited by Culex316; 07-28-10 at 10:16 PM.
    07-28-10 10:12 PM
    Russia, eh?

I suspect the local ISP is filtering content.

The simple test is to try it in a Western Europian county. If it works as expected, BIS over Wifi, but fails when you cross the boarder, you will know for sure.
    07-30-10 01:52 PM
    Yeah I'm in the boat that if you have WiFi, this SHOULD work as you're sending data. Expecting phone calls to work over WiFi is a different story.

Its probably true, but I still can't fathom Verizon charging their plan to use it on WiFi. If that was true, why would you still be doing it on WiFi?
    07-30-10 02:46 PM
    You can use wifi, just not BIS and BBM and push mail.

07-30-10 04:04 PM
    Yeah I'm in the boat that if you have WiFi, this SHOULD work as you're sending data. Expecting phone calls to work over WiFi is a different story.

Its probably true, but I still can't fathom Verizon charging their plan to use it on WiFi. If that was true, why would you still be doing it on WiFi?
    There are two different methods of using Wifi supported by BlackBerry.

If your carrier supports the service, Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA) allows voice, SMS text and data to over Wifi. When UMA is active, you have full access to your carriers plan from any Wifi Hotspot.

Many carriers do not support UMA, concerned that it may impact the wireless revenue stream. Those carriers use models that allow BIS/BES over Wifi, but not voice and text.

07-30-10 04:12 PM
    I have a Sprint 9650 I use in Shanghai. Data doesn't work at all in GSM but when I get on WiFi my emails push just fine.
    02-21-11 05:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD