Final update:

Took the phone back, store gave me 85% of purchase price towards another - reason being it took me so long to go back! I would have preferred 100%, but I suppose I understand (should have listened to you lot earlier!)

Got a Bold instead (payed more obviously), but ensured it worked in the store before leaving.

The owner was surprised it didn't work and said he would be contacting his "supplier", though I wouldn't be surprised if the phone goes back on the shelf. He goes "look, it's scratched...I can't re-sell it"...I'm like "yea, because it doesn't work!".

When I asked him to unbrand my new BB, he said "oh, well, I can do it, but you know, it's a bit risky". I have a feeling perhaps he was the one who set the vendor id to 179 originally...

Anyway, done and done...appreciate all your advice!
    11-02-09 08:20 AM
    Final update:

Took the phone back, store gave me 85% of purchase price towards another - reason being it took me so long to go back! I would have preferred 100%, but I suppose I understand (should have listened to you lot earlier!)

Got a Bold instead (payed more obviously), but ensured it worked in the store before leaving.

The owner was surprised it didn't work and said he would be contacting his "supplier", though I wouldn't be surprised if the phone goes back on the shelf. He goes "look, it's scratched...I can't re-sell it"...I'm like "yea, because it doesn't work!".

When I asked him to unbrand my new BB, he said "oh, well, I can do it, but you know, it's a bit risky". I have a feeling perhaps he was the one who set the vendor id to 179 originally...

Anyway, done and done...appreciate all your advice!
    Why even worry about unbranding it? That is a completely unnecessary step. Just make sure it's unlocked and you are done.
    11-02-09 11:07 AM
    Why even worry about unbranding it? That is a completely unnecessary step. Just make sure it's unlocked and you are done.
    I wasn't actually interested about unbranding - I just wanted to see if he would slip up and admit to something...anyway...
    11-02-09 01:58 PM
    At least you managed to get it worked out
    11-02-09 06:36 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD