Does RIM have any plans in the near future for BIS to support two-way IMAP syncing?
    04-21-09 04:44 PM
    I'm the proud owner of a brand new BB Bold with BIS through Vodafone.

I was extremely disappointed to find that RIM have failed to implement IMAP properly. I cannot see any reason why they would choose not to integrate their device with the protocol in the way it's intended.

Over the past week, having to delete my email on my Blackberry rather than my Outlook when I'm in the office is becoming a serious nuisance. More-so because this problem isn't outlined when you choose to buy it.

I pay �5 GBP (around $8) a month for the BIS service, and I am still wondering why.

There are a few sites I came across that said if you can configure your IMAP Server to broadcast email changes, then after around an hour or so, your emails will eventually be deleted on the blackberry. This doesn't appear to be the case.

Other than this, almost everything on my Blackberry is superb. But I'm not sure how much longer I can waste my time having to delete e-mails on the blackberry.

Come on RIM, get a grip!
    04-27-09 02:36 AM
    Same here. It's just too obvious that they deliberately disable this feature to devaluate non-bb-approved email standards..
    It's one of the few Messaging related features that my iPhone can still do MUCH Better than a BB. Go figure.
    04-27-09 04:35 AM
    According to a news tip I read about a month ago, Gmail accounts will be upgraded with 2-way sync sometime during this summer. The upgrade we're waiting for is BIS 2.7.
    BTW, 2-way sync with BIS is already available for AOL, Yahoo!, and Hotmail accounts I believe. It's the Gmail upgrade everyone's waiting for.
    04-27-09 09:40 AM
    BTW, 2-way sync with BIS is already available for AOL, Yahoo!, and Hotmail accounts I believe. It's the Gmail upgrade everyone's waiting for.
    I'm not waiting for the Gmail one. Why would I want to pay RIM �5 a month only to have to use Gmail's services?

I run my own IMAP server, and manage my own email as much as possible for redundancy and security. I thought RIM were interested in security, and yet, they're forcing clients to have to put their emails in the hands of Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, and worse.... AOL!!!!

What is going on?!

The technology is obviously there. The people programming obviously know what they're doing. It's standard IMAP! (at least, it should be...)
    04-27-09 11:00 AM
    I'm not waiting for the Gmail one. Why would I want to pay RIM �5 a month only to have to use Gmail's services?

I run my own IMAP server, and manage my own email as much as possible for redundancy and security. I thought RIM were interested in security, and yet, they're forcing clients to have to put their emails in the hands of Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, and worse.... AOL!!!!

What is going on?!

The technology is obviously there. The people programming obviously know what they're doing. It's standard IMAP! (at least, it should be...)
    I started to give you instructions for configuring for IMAP on your server, but reading further, I see your problem is actually with emails you delete in Outlook not deleting on your BB. Is this correct?
    Well, yes, the technology is there. But, RIM wants you to pay for it in the form of BES, which is another reason we can't get a proper calendar/contact sync. IMO.
    04-27-09 11:19 AM
    Hi Mate,

Yeah, deleting on the Blackberry works. Emails are deleted on Outlook (or marked as read).

Emails read on Outlook or deleted on Outlook are not reflected on the blackberry device.

Thanks anyway though Love a helpful forum!
    04-27-09 11:21 AM
    Hey all,

Anyone figure out how to KEEP COPY OF EMAIL ON SERVER when using AOL on the BlackBerry?

Frustrated,

Matt!
    11-07-09 10:21 PM
    mine always did. Are you sure it is configured with IMAP?
    11-08-09 07:04 AM
    Cavingjan,

Hopefully if you have it working, then it's something I am doing wrong.

I have been doing some research, and on the AOL mail help page (here), i read the following:

Note: IMAP and POP3 are the major standards for reading e-mail. IMAP allows you to read your e-mail directly from the remote e-mail server and the e-mail will remain accessible on the e-mail server even if you use a different computer to access it later. POP3 requires you to download your e-mail to your computer before you can read it and the e-mail is deleted from the e-mail server as soon as it is downloaded, so the only copy of your e-mail is on the one computer used to read it. Due to security issues, e-mail programs that only use the POP3 protocol are unable to connect to the AOL/AIM Mail servers.

So, as you and I both know, it's obvious that IMAP is the way I am looking to use.

However, as I mentioned, when I read an aol mail that is pushed to my BB (BIS), it goes buh-bye a short time later on AOL.

I set my AOL up on the BB using the BB email wizard. Did you do it another way?

I just did another test. I sent an email to my aol account. It showed up in my AOL.com inbox (and aol desktop software) as well as my BB. As soon as I read the email on my BB, the mail disappeared from the inbox on my aol.com account and aol desktop software.

I also just did another test....when the new email came to my BB, I selected "Delete from Handheld only" (WITHOUT reading it first). It deleted from my BB and stayed on my aol.com account inbox.

So, it seems that a copy is definitely not staying on the server, and that my BB controls the other inbox - so that would lead me to think that it is acting like a POP3 setup....

The mystery continues.... This is real frustrating because the ONLY way I can keep email on my account is to keep it as new on the blackberry (and I don't want to constantly have new message/unread message icons on my phone).

Any thoughts?

Thanks again,

Matt!

from
    Last edited by KillerQ; 11-08-09 at 01:52 PM.
    11-08-09 11:38 AM
    Hhhmmm...

I just found a little trick that may tide me over in the meantime....

If I read a mail on my BB, while it is still open, if I hit MARK AS UNREAD and then DELETE FROM DEVICE ONLY, the mail will still stay in my aol.com inbox. (as long as I never exit the message while reading on my BB)

Odd....

Matt!
    11-08-09 11:54 AM
    Have you tried:
    1. deleting the AOL account on BIS and then re-adding it?
    2. connecting to the AOL account via an email client like Outlook using IMAP to confirm that it is active. I do not remember whether I had to configure that or not on the AOL website. I remember having to do it for gmail. The AOL account has been set up that way for a very long time so I don't remember.
    11-11-09 09:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD