01-29-13 03:05 PM
38 12
tools
    The question I'd be interested to know the answer to is this - if I don't need a bis plan for BB10, what happens if I use the new sim/plan in my old BB7 phone? I use my old BBs as backups, and it would suck if they became obselete as a result of a change.
    01-28-13 04:38 AM
    Looks like we have our answer in the Voda UK photo. No Blackberry Plan required for email, internet or BBM! Brilliant.

Buh bye BIS!
    01-28-13 05:13 PM
    Looks like we have our answer in the Voda UK photo. No Blackberry Plan required for email, internet or BBM! Brilliant.

Buh bye BIS!
    That doesn't mean it doesn't connect to the NOC though, so there's still BIS. It has never been an extra charge for BIS on Vodafone as far as i can remember.
    01-28-13 05:26 PM
    Being somewhat of a neophyte, does that mean I will lose my @.att.blackberry.net email address if I step up to BB10? I use the BIS exclusively for my small business as the "no-push" factor means almost instant reception of email sent to that address. Given the loss of that address will that mean any other email address I use will come through a "push" or forward function e.g. my comcast.net address may be "pushed" to my BB9800 or comcast allows it to be "forwarded". If forwarded delivery is almost immediate, if pushed it takes longer. Anything you are able to contribute to help me is appreciated! Thank you!
    Unfortunately, blackberry.net email addresses are no longer supported on BB10. You may set up a forwarding rule from your blackberry.net address to another address of your choice using the BIS web interface. Auto-forwarding will work for one year. Do this before switching phones!

edit: your AT&T rep should be able to confirm this when you go in to upgrade.
    19GhostRider71 likes this.
    01-28-13 05:29 PM
    so without the need for a bis plan on bb10, does this mean we're not having end-to-end encryption of data?
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    01-28-13 05:52 PM
    so without the need for a bis plan on bb10, does this mean we're not having end-to-end encryption of data?
    I'm not sure of the answer to that but I believe that you have the option of getting BIS. I will be.
    phylez likes this.
    01-28-13 05:55 PM
    That doesn't mean it doesn't connect to the NOC though, so there's still BIS. It has never been an extra charge for BIS on Vodafone as far as i can remember.
    Well with my carrier, Telstra (the largest carrier in Australia) I have the option of either upgrading my plan to $100 a month for free BIS or staying at my current level of $80 a month and paying another $10 a month for BIS. I'm hoping this will mean the BB10 handsets will allow access to the NOC and/or BIS without the need for a specific Blackberry plan and costing me either $20 or $10 a month more.
    01-28-13 06:12 PM
    Can it not still connect to the NOC without a BIS plan? I thought RIM's servers was how BB's push system was so good?
    01-28-13 06:16 PM
    You may not need it but you may want it for different functionality. You may have to sign up and pay RIM directly, assuming you want to use certain features that they offer. This could be allowed through a web service. This means that other phones can access it through the same web service, if RIM writes an app for their phones.
    This is speculation, of course, and I have been talking about the possibility for a while now. We will see if this turns out to be the case.
    01-28-13 06:36 PM
    01-28-13 07:06 PM
    Yes, I realise you can use an iPhone on a BIS Plan and have full functionality. The reverse isn't true though, as far as I know. You cannot use a Blackberry on a iPhone plan and have full functionality.

I have talked to telus in canada they said to me that the plan from iphone doesn't work on BB but BB plan work on iphone no need for change.
    01-28-13 10:46 PM
    I just hope that I will still have the option to turn on BlackBerry International plan that includes web and e-mail (and BBM) when needed. This is one of the things that makes BlackBerry my first choice for a International phone.
    01-29-13 01:37 PM
    There has to be a lot of answers on how this is going to work with the new BB10.
    01-29-13 03:05 PM
38 12