I have an sbcglobal email account (yahoo/att) that I have been using for a long time. Upon integrating it into BIS when I purchased my Blackberry, I know BIS has been encrypting the emails, for when I have tested it by sending sample emails to another email account, I could see, through the message source, that BIS encrypted it. Furthermore, I know BIS automatically encrypts emails if your mail servers support SSL, and the option of enabling SSL is present on the options of my Blackberry email settings.

This week, I opened new accounts from gmail and hotmail for personal use. Integration with my Blackberry went smoothly, but upon checking for BIS encryption, I was surprised to see that gmail and hotmail did NOT automatically encrypt emails. The message source clearly showed me that emails were sent "naked", without any BIS encryption. Furthermore, unlike the SSL option I had with my sbcglobal account, there is NO option for enabling SSL.

Are there any free, personal emails that BIS will automatically encrypt?
    07-16-11 02:36 PM
    +1
    I'd like to know this as well.
    Also, what about the BlackBerry.net email address you can get when you start BIS? Surely it'd be encrypted yes?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ADFXPro777 likes this.
    07-16-11 05:22 PM
    How exactly did you do this test? I mean, as far as I know, BIS emails are NOT encrypted with any encryption beyond standard isp network encryption. Otherwise, how would someone on a computer at the receiving end be able to decrypt and read it? You have to have BES in order to enjoy end to end encryption; the BES server has the encryption keys, and that's how the receiving BlackBerry can decrypt the sending BlackBerry's email. I will say I don't quite understand why BIS can't (or won't)encrypt BlackBerry to BlackBerry emails ...

07-16-11 05:57 PM
    +1
    I'd like to know this as well.
    Also, what about the BlackBerry.net email address you can get when you start BIS? Surely it'd be encrypted yes?

Lol, thanks for the reminder. I forgot about my provider's blackberry email On the other hand, I will need one more email and would like to see if there are more options readily available that supports BIS encryption.

How exactly did you do this test? I mean, as far as I know, BIS emails are NOT encrypted with any encryption beyond standard isp network encryption. Otherwise, how would someone on a computer at the receiving end be able to decrypt and read it? You have to have BES in order to enjoy end to end encryption; the BES server has the encryption keys, and that's how the receiving BlackBerry can decrypt the sending BlackBerry's email. I will say I don't quite understand why BIS can't (or won't)encrypt BlackBerry to BlackBerry emails ...
    Depending on the desktop mail client, you can see the message source through the properties of the email. From there, you can check if your messages are encrypted or not.

The test is quite simple:

1. Send the email via your Blackberry phone to a different email of yours.
    2. Open the email to on your desktop client.
    3. Check the properties, then message source - here you can see the details of email, especially if it was encrypted or not.

When I use my first (sbcglobal) account, its always shown as encrypted - period. With gmail and hotmail, I can see the contents, as there is no encryption enabled.

BIS encrypts emails it sends and receives on the internet. Between BIS and your Blackberry, its essentially up to the security protocols of your provider. I am not worried about that though, especially since I know Virgin Mobile (Sprint) uses CDMA security and various encoding and encryption. If you think about it, it's almost like a "stripped-down" end-to-end encryption, for while more parties can see your info, they are legally authorized to do so, but at the same time, safeguard it from third-party groups. Totally fitting for security-conscious consumers and small businesses.
    Last edited by BBFXPro777; 07-16-11 at 07:08 PM.
    07-16-11 07:00 PM
    What you think is "encryption" is most likely just common Base64 encoding which is not encryption at all but just a way of encoding 8-bit content so that email servers that only pass 7-bit binary data can receive and/or transmit it without corrupting it.

Blackberry email clients using BIS typically base64 encode all messages by default. The fact that you can't see plain text there doesn't mean it is not easily decodable by anyone. BIS never supported end-to-end email encryption, because if an email server doesn't support encryption (many still don't), the message must be sent unencrypted or the mail server cannot receive and process it.

If you look in that message source again, you will most likely see some plain text headers that look like the below text: this indicates the content is base64 encoded:

Content-Type: application/octet-stream
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
    02-26-13 02:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD