Hello All
    I have my own website domain and email address attached. Any emails that are sent to the address @mydomain.com take up to 15 minutes to arrive at my device whereas any emails sent to my GMAIL account arrive at my device instantly. Now, I always that BIS email was "always connected", so that emails would automatically arrive at the device instantly and not have to wait for a polling time.

My questions are:
    1. What could be causing this delay?
    2. Has anyone ever come across this before?
    3. What hosting providers do you use for personal, non-gmail/non-hotmail/non-yahoo accounts?

Thanks very much
    Julian
    11-27-12 07:32 AM
    Your site/settings are probably POP3, while Gmail is IMAP by default.
    You might ask your hosting company about it, some settings may also delay pop mail "instant" availability.
    stick_slinger likes this.
    11-27-12 07:43 AM
    So the IMAP email account should be used with BIS in preference to POP3 then?
    I understand the differences between IMAP and POP3 but didn't realise this could be the cause of the delay

Cheers
    Julian
    11-27-12 08:30 AM
    I believe how it works is with IMAP you will get push email.

With a POP3 account, BIS will check your account every 15 minutes. If something is received, it will check every 3 minutes until such time that there's nothing new. Then it reverts to the 15 minute intervals.
    stick_slinger and Superfly_FR like this.
    11-27-12 08:43 AM
    I have a @mydomain email account.. It's POP and I get mails within a few minutes.. Gmail is instant though..

The old trick was to delete your service books.. send registration request.. and then remove battery sim card for about 5 minutes.. and then everything ran pretty quick..
    11-27-12 09:07 AM
    Mmmm, I've checked the settings in BIS and the mail server is recognised as IMAP.

I deleted the service book from my device, did a battery-pull and then re-sent the service book from my mobile providers' (Vodafone) BIS site.

I'm still experiencing a delay though :-( when emails are sent to my @mydomain.com account. I don't have any issues with sending from my device via my @mydomain.com account and my @gmail.com has no delay with the receiving on the device.

So, since BIS says the mail server is IMAP, could this delay be a setting, or a number of settings, at my domain provider? If the domain provider no longer supports BIS - and I'm not saying that they don't support BIS - then could this be a reason for the delays/lags that I'm experiencing, or would a lack of BIS support at the provider mean that I wouldn't be able to send/receive mails at all via that account?

TIA
    Julian
    11-29-12 05:31 AM
    Mmmm, I've checked the settings in BIS and the mail server is recognised as IMAP.

I deleted the service book from my device, did a battery-pull and then re-sent the service book from my mobile providers' (Vodafone) BIS site.

I'm still experiencing a delay though :-( when emails are sent to my @mydomain.com account. I don't have any issues with sending from my device via my @mydomain.com account and my @gmail.com has no delay with the receiving on the device.

So, since BIS says the mail server is IMAP, could this delay be a setting, or a number of settings, at my domain provider? If the domain provider no longer supports BIS - and I'm not saying that they don't support BIS - then could this be a reason for the delays/lags that I'm experiencing, or would a lack of BIS support at the provider mean that I wouldn't be able to send/receive mails at all via that account?

TIA
    Julian
    I'm afraid IMAP alone is not enough, your domain provider has to support IMAP IDLE for the emails to be instant.
    pkcable and stick_slinger like this.
    11-29-12 06:06 AM
    I'm afraid IMAP alone is not enough, your domain provider has to support IMAP IDLE for the emails to be instant.

Perhaps telling them you need this COULD be enough to get you fixed up. Some providers are good that way.
    11-29-12 09:07 AM

TIA
    Julian
    My understanding of IMAP delivery is the IDLE feature must be configured on the IMAP server. I have a personal email account (third-party domain) on my BlackBerry smartphone and receive most new messages within a minute of arrival at the IMAP server, however, delays of up to 5 minutes are not uncommon depending on the load on the server. My professional email account (my own domain) activated against a BlackBerry Enterprise Server takes between 1 second and 15 seconds to be delivered by my BlackBerry smartphone.
    11-29-12 09:45 PM