For some reason, my integrated BIS e-mail (Outlook) is not syncing on the Bold 9700.

New messages come in (about 10 minutes or so after they do on the PC), and even when I delete them on the PC, I seem to need to delete them on the BB as well (either that or it takes a really long time to do so on its own).

I have tried re-sending the books and nothing has changed.

I don't seem to have any problem sending mail.

I am using the newest OS and prior to that I was using the most up to date one, as well (I don't remember the numbers, just remember doing the updates).

I have checked the Services Status and everything is connected.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    04-18-10 03:25 AM
    Your experience sounds normal. I typically don't wait on BIS messages to reconcile and delete. I just do it manually. Even BES messages can take a long time to delete, even though they arrive almost instantaneously.
    04-18-10 07:12 AM
    my outlook syncs but it seems it only does it every 15-30 mins or so, but i am using OWA till i can talk the company IT people into putting BESx up.

anyway everytime it polls it deletes what i deleted(weither its on the handset or in outlook). can't wait for BESx to be installed, hopefully IT doesn't shoot it down.
    04-18-10 08:12 AM
    I don't have any experience with BESx. I've been a BES user as long as I've owned a BlackBerry. Assuming BESx works like BES, you'll be giving complete control of your device to your IT admins. Be careful what you ask for.
    04-18-10 08:22 AM
    hmm from what ive read is that it works over your BIS and the only things they can really limit me on is what i can do on the company network. i could be wrong, but there are only 35 it policies in. Hopefully ill still beable to check hockey scores, but outside of email and texting i dont do alot.
    04-18-10 08:49 AM
    Your experience sounds normal. I typically don't wait on BIS messages to reconcile and delete. I just do it manually. Even BES messages can take a long time to delete, even though they arrive almost instantaneously.
    Kind of disappointing to hear. I guess I was just expecting a bit more from my BB 9700. I understand the issues with GMail, but with Outlook - that's the main business E-Mail platform?!?

I am very happy with my new BB - my first one - but there are seemingly simple things, like syncing E-Mail, calendar and contacts, which my Nokia E71 seemed to do better, which I could not have believed without experiencing it first hand.
    04-18-10 02:49 PM
    I don't have any experience with BESx. I've been a BES user as long as I've owned a BlackBerry. Assuming BESx works like BES, you'll be giving complete control of your device to your IT admins. Be careful what you ask for.
    Jeff, with BESx, what type of control exactly will I be giving the IT manager of the company I work for over my personally owned BB?

Will I still be able to download apps? Access the browser? Will they have access to all personal data (calendar / e-mail, contacts) on the device?
    04-18-10 02:52 PM
    With BESx, I don't know. With BES, the IT policy controls whether you can install software, access the browser, use a Media card, use the camera, or use Bluetooth. I even encountered one user whose IT policy would only allow him to call numbers that were in the Address Book, and (of course) would not allow editing the Address Book. And there's the privacy issue as well.

Can a BES administrator read my PIN and/or SMS messages and see my phone call logs?
    Yes, if the BES is version 4.1 or newer and the device is o/s code 4.1 or later.
    • Starting with BES 4.1, the BES admin can log all PIN and SMS messages to the BES server, including the content of those messages.
    • BlackBerry Messenger messages and conversations can also be audited by the BES administrator.
    • In addition, the administrator can view all phone calls made/received to the device including date/time, number dialed, and the name of the person you are calling or who called you if that name is listed in your contact list.

Source: BES Users FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ

See also this link, courtesy of member Motorcycle Momma: What does BES see? What can be tracked?

On the other hand, just about all the IT admins I've spoken to are far too busy to bother looking at anybody's logs. But if you do something to draw their attention, they can see just about anything and control just about everything. Not all IT policies are as draconian as I listed above. Mine, for example, only requires a password, sets the max timeout to 30 minutes, and enforces content protection. It doesn't restrict my ability to download software or upgrade the OS or use any function in my Tour. You need to find out from your Admin what your Policy will entail, before you sign up for it.
    04-18-10 03:12 PM
    With BESx, I don't know. With BES, the IT policy controls whether you can install software, access the browser, use a Media card, use the camera, or use Bluetooth. I even encountered one user whose IT policy would only allow him to call numbers that were in the Address Book, and (of course) would not allow editing the Address Book. And there's the privacy issue as well.

Can a BES administrator read my PIN and/or SMS messages and see my phone call logs?
    Yes, if the BES is version 4.1 or newer and the device is o/s code 4.1 or later.
    • Starting with BES 4.1, the BES admin can log all PIN and SMS messages to the BES server, including the content of those messages.
    • BlackBerry Messenger messages and conversations can also be audited by the BES administrator.
    • In addition, the administrator can view all phone calls made/received to the device including date/time, number dialed, and the name of the person you are calling or who called you if that name is listed in your contact list.

Source: BES Users FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ

See also this link, courtesy of member Motorcycle Momma: What does BES see? What can be tracked?

On the other hand, just about all the IT admins I've spoken to are far too busy to bother looking at anybody's logs. But if you do something to draw their attention, they can see just about anything and control just about everything. Not all IT policies are as draconian as I listed above. Mine, for example, only requires a password, sets the max timeout to 30 minutes, and enforces content protection. It doesn't restrict my ability to download software or upgrade the OS or use any function in my Tour. You need to find out from your Admin what your Policy will entail, before you sign up for it.
    Wow! Talk about Big Brother...
    04-18-10 03:14 PM
    It's typically advisable to NEVER put a personal device on your employer's BES. You typically are giving up complete control to them.
    04-18-10 03:18 PM
    So, I guess all my dreaming of having access to my Outlook inbox subfolders and OTA wireless syncing of my e-mail, calendar and contacts are not worth the price of giving up my "independent, sovereign rule" over my BB...

Sucks...
    04-18-10 03:21 PM
    IT Policies are there to protect your employer's interests. You're getting inside-the-firewall access to data, which your employer has not only the right but a fiduciary responsibility to protect. If your employer provides the device, there's no ambiguity. As Mama says, it's almost never a good deal for an employee to donate his device to his employer.
    04-18-10 03:26 PM
    Makes sense. I guess I was hoping there was a way for them to protect "their" data, while I could still protect "mine".

Like, they have control over the BB Outlook inbox, but not the rest of the phone, for instance...
    04-18-10 03:29 PM
    yeah i think ill be doing more research on BESx lol.

it says there are over 35 it policies for BESx while BES has like 450+ rules, wish is said what those 35+ are for BESx though.

what i was hoping for was access my email and outlook folders/calendar, as it is with OWA i can not see my other outlook folders and since rules sort my mail out to said folders i miss those(worked around by forwarding my on-call emails to a gmail account i setup just for that with a different notification sound). Also there is a huge delay for delivery on OWA that i dont think i can speed up at all.

but i will not give them access to my sms/mms, guess ill be taking my buddy in IT to lunch monday and see what the current BES IT policies are and go from there.
    04-18-10 03:34 PM
    I wonder if there is any legal protection concerning this... Just seems like a lot of inappropriate things can be done with someone who has access to all your personal info on the BB.
    04-18-10 03:40 PM
    ...what i was hoping for was access my email and outlook folders/calendar, ...
    For email, my BES only syncs the Outlook Inbox on my PC to the BlackBerry. Once I move email to an Outlook folder below the inbox, it's invisible to the BlackBerry. So it may be that BES won't do what you want anyway.
    04-18-10 03:41 PM
    I thought one of the benefits of BES / BESx was the ability to have access to the Inbox subfolders on Outlook (basically having access to one's entire inbox. Is that not the case?
    04-18-10 03:45 PM
    I wonder if there is any legal protection concerning this... Just seems like a lot of inappropriate things can be done with someone who has access to all your personal info on the BB.
    When you go on the Enterprise, you waive those rights. It's not YOUR data anymore. Almost certainly, the IT Admin had to sign an NDA as well. If you could prove he leaked your personal data inappropriately or without proper authority (like a subpoena), he could lose his job. So it goes both ways.
    04-18-10 03:45 PM
    I thought one of the benefits of BES / BESx was the ability to have access to the Inbox subfolders on Outlook (basically having access to one's entire inbox. Is that not the case?
    That's not the case in my implementation. I don't know that that's generally true, however. It's just the way my BES is set-up. Yours could be different. You need to find out exactly what you get, and give up, with your implementation. There's a wide range of possibilities.
    04-18-10 03:48 PM
    When you go on the Enterprise, you waive those rights. It's not YOUR data anymore. Almost certainly, the IT Admin had to sign an NDA as well. If you could prove he leaked your personal data inappropriately or without proper authority (like a subpoena), he could lose his job. So it goes both ways.
    They don't call this a smartphone for nothing. it should come with a built in lawyer.
    04-18-10 03:48 PM
    really? well crap i guess ill just drop it then, thanks for the info

so there isnt really anyway to sync other folders from outlook? I use 2 a lot(both are inside the main inbox if that matters)

so really all BES(x) will do for me is speed up my email delivery, lock my device down, and give them everything on my phone. bah.
    04-18-10 03:49 PM
    That's not the case in my implementation. I don't know that that's generally true, however. It's just the way my BES is set-up. Yours could be different. You need to find out exactly what you get, and give up, with your implementation. There's a wide range of possibilities.
    I will definitely look into all of this. Thanks for the heads up.
    04-18-10 03:49 PM
    ok you replied while i was typing and googling for other solutions. guess ill stick with slow delivery.
    04-18-10 03:51 PM
    really? well crap i guess ill just drop it then, thanks for the info

so there isnt really anyway to sync other folders from outlook? I use 2 a lot(both are inside the main inbox if that matters)

so really all BES(x) will do for me is speed up my email delivery, lock my device down, and give them everything on my phone. bah.
    You need to find out exactly how your implementation will work. You might have more folder capability than I do. Every implementation can be different.
    04-18-10 03:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD