Hi,

I'm heading to university soon, and their email system will give me two options with my email account.

Option 1: BES Express
    Option 2: IMAP account

What I wanted to know is, if I have a BES Express setup on my phone, could I still have my @carrier.blackberry.co.uk and gmail account on BIS?

If I wanted to keep these would I need to use BIS and connect via IMAP. It says the university prefers BES use.

Thanks for your help
    07-24-12 05:38 PM
    The answer to your question is yes. When using BESX you still can use your BIS email accounts. Give. BESX a try I have been very happy with it. It is a good way to BYOD to work.
    07-25-12 04:52 AM
    I don't know what it's like with other carriers, but if you're on BES, AT&T charges you $45 a month, as opposed to $30 a month with BIS-only (this is for the grandfathered unlimited data plan). That's an extra $180 a year for BES. I can afford it, but if I had the option to connect to my work email via IMAP, I'd go for it in a heartbeat (assuming my work calendar would sync more or less as easily as it does on BES).
    07-25-12 07:23 AM
    I don't know what it's like with other carriers, but if you're on BES, AT&T charges you $45 a month, as opposed to $30 a month with BIS-only (this is for the grandfathered unlimited data plan). That's an extra $180 a year for BES. I can afford it, but if I had the option to connect to my work email via IMAP, I'd go for it in a heartbeat (assuming my work calendar would sync more or less as easily as it does on BES).
    That is correct. ATT does not allow BESX to be downloaded through the app store. It can be found at other places. Verzion does allow BESX at no additional charges. The OP appears to be in the UK so he would have to check with his carrier or the carrier he will use at school. I prefer the immediate syncing of the BESX compared to IMAP on an exchange server.
    07-25-12 07:34 AM
    Well, I'm on Orange (UK) with a BIS data plan, is there any way to check if BESX will work?

Also, using IMAP, I won't be able to get my calendar or tasks synced with the email client.
    07-25-12 09:26 AM
    Yes IMAP does have some limitations. Go to you app store and see if you can down load the enterprise activation app. if that works you most likely can use this method. Also it would be a good idea to go to the carrier section under Orange and ask if anybody else on Orange is using BESX successfully. good luck

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Crackberry App
    07-25-12 10:03 AM
    BESX does work with BIS on the phone. That's the whole point of it. You don't need a BES account. All you need is what is basically a plug-in (called "Enterprise Activation") that allows your phone to tie into the BESX system over BIS.

Although this doesn't apply to the OP, AT&T (in the States) has nothing to do with the app one way or the other. I'm on AT&T and can see and download the activation app in App World just fine. I just don't use it.
    07-25-12 10:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD