I have BIS on my personal BB now and have used it with Goog Sync fine.. now i'm starting contracting with a new company and they use Lotus Notes and the only way I can sync and get my email and calendar on my BB is to switch my Vzw service to BES.

It's only $15 more dollars a month, but I've read about the privacy and things they can access on my BB...

What exactly does switching mean for me??
    10-26-09 10:37 PM
    By switching to BES, you are giving the owner of the BES full access to your BB. They can see and monitor everything you do.
    10-26-09 10:40 PM
    Also, depending on their IT policies, they could disable certain things on the phone like the camera, internet, and third party apps.
    10-26-09 10:42 PM
    When you say "everything", do you mean, they can read my txts, bb msgs, emails, notes/memos, address book, etc, etc... ????

By switching to BES, you are giving the owner of the BES full access to your BB. They can see and monitor everything you do.
    10-26-09 10:43 PM
    Putting your personal phone on your employer's BES means you surrender all rights to how you use your phone. Your employer will control it, and can enable or disable functionality at will: access to the internet, use of bluetooth or the media card, even in one extreme case, only allowing numbers in the address book to be called, and preventing adding contacts. Most IT policies are not that draconian, but it is possible. The BES will also log your SMS messages and phone numbers called. I don't recommend being on your employer's BES unless your employer is paying for trhe phone and the service.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-09 10:46 PM
    The BES admins have total control over your BB. It's alright as long as you trust them. They can push software OTA, remote wipe, etc. Anything can be disabled/enforced via IT policies.
    10-26-09 10:47 PM
    Which version of Notes/Domino are they using? There are other ways to get to your mail (although they don't do push mail). The calendar is a little trickier but can be made to work (in theory).

When you say "everything", do you mean, they can read my txts, bb msgs, emails, notes/memos, address book, etc, etc... ????
    In a word, yes -- you go onto someone's BES and they control the horizontal, they control the vertical. This doesn't mean that the BB admin's will look at your stuff (any more than the Domino or Exchanged admins will read your e-mail), but that they can.

Here's a thread on the topic
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/corp...s-admin-54308/
    Last edited by Tiassa; 10-26-09 at 10:54 PM.
    10-26-09 10:51 PM
    Yikes, I don't like that... but right now I'm handicapped because I can't get my emails or calendar on my phone, very limiting... But I don't want that type of access..

Maybe I can get them to send me their IT policies to review first.

Putting your personal phone on your employer's BES means you surrender all rights to how you use your phone. Your employer will control it, and can enable or disable functionality at will: access to the internet, use of bluetooth or the media card, even in one extreme case, only allowing numbers in the address book to be called, and preventing adding contacts. Most IT policies are not that draconian, but it is possible. The BES will also log your SMS messages and phone numbers called. I don't recommend being on your employer's BES unless your employer is paying for trhe phone and the service.

10-26-09 10:51 PM
    Lotus Notes 6.5.4

Which version of Notes/Domino are they using? There are other ways to get to your mail (although they don't do push mail). The calendar is a little trickier but can be made to work (in theory).

In a word, yes -- you go onto someone's BES and they control the horizontal, they control the vertical. This doesn't mean that the BB admin's will look at your stuff (any more than the Domino or Exchanged admins will read your e-mail), but that they can.
    10-26-09 10:53 PM
    Lotus Notes 6.5.4
    Then your options aren't so good. I suppose that telling them to upgrade to a version of Notes that is less than 5 years and 2 major releases out of date won't help your cause.

Reposting the link to the "Big Brother thread" in case you missed it above: http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/corp...s-admin-54308/
    10-26-09 10:58 PM
    Your other option is to get a second BB for that company.
    10-27-09 08:19 AM
    I am going the other way, leaving an organization having been on their BES and now want to continue using my BB for personal use only. Any suggestions for a smooth transfer? Thanks.

I am going the other waw
    10-28-09 10:50 AM
    BES to BIS, eh?

Smooth it is if you just remove the IT Policy. Done.
    10-28-09 11:03 AM
    If the employer you are leaving doesn't want to remove the IT Policy, then you can do it yourself, using Pete's technique: Removing an IT Policy from a BlackBerry phone.
    10-28-09 08:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD