Noob here. My question is if I can do both BIS and BES? I have had my bb for less than a week. I set it up when I got it with BIS and used gmail email addresses and has worked great. I am now starting with a new business environment that has system with outlook and email etc... a place to use BES as I understand differences. I want to have access to both my gmail accounts but also the work environment. What do I need to do?...add BES to use both, switch to BES which will handle both or use the Redirector? Thanks for help.
    09-26-08 07:24 AM
    you will have to switch to bes, you can not use bis and bes, but you will still have access to your gmail account
    09-26-08 07:28 AM
    Before switching, make sure your work will support the BB and BES and allow you to use it.

Some companies have BES but will not allow user access because of the additional cost to add users.
    09-26-08 07:42 AM
    Thank you!!!! BES is allowed. How does one "switch"?
    09-26-08 08:23 AM
    BES access includes BIS. If your new employer puts you on BES, you can continue to use your BIS accounts, assuming their IT Policy doesn't prohibit it. If you are not familiar with an IT policy, you need to know that an IT Policy is the way a company enforces its IT Security rules on BlackBerry's that have inside-the-firewall access. These devices have BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES) accounts instead of the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) accounts that consumer users typically have.

BES users get over the air synching of their Calendar, Email, Address Book, Tasks, and Memos. In return, they accept that the company can monitor all their email, log their phone calls, and in general control every aspect of their phone: whether they can install apps, use the Media Card or Bluetooth, or access the internet, for example.

IT Policies can be very strict to benign. Mine, for example, only requires me to use a password and Content Protection and sets the max timeout to 30 minutes.

If you have an employer-provided phone, and attempt to remove the IT Policy with CrackIT or any other tool, your attempt will be detected the next time you attempt to log on to the company servers, the IT policy will be pushed back on your phone, and you could face severe disciplinary consequences for violating security.

Given the restrictions that accompany BES access, if your BlackBerry is your personal phone, you may wish to think twice about putting it on the BES. Basically, you are surrendering control of your phone to your employer. That's fine, as long as you know what you're getting into, and make an informed decision.
    09-26-08 08:24 AM
    Wow. Thanks Jeff that is a great helpful reply!!! Not only do I luv my short start with my first blackberry, I love Crackberry.com
    09-26-08 10:52 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry!!
    09-26-08 11:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD