Please forgive some newbie questions...
    I am trying to get my head around how Blackberry BIS � e.g. BT�s BIS service - actually works, and in particular what services are routed through the RIM (Blackberry) network and what just break out on to the Internet at the wireless service provider.
    I assume that for email for example, RIM provides banks of 'special BESs' in their own data centres which have connectors to the common email services (Gmail, Yahoo etc). The wireless service provider routes the wireless data calls from the Blackberry device to the appropriate RIM data-centre via either a private line or via a VPN and thence to the �special� BESs. Is this correct pls?
    Email apart, could someone kindly clarify which other services are routed via RIM and which are allowed to break out on to the Internet at the wireless service provider? In particular, where do browsers break out (and does this differ if the native BB browser is used instead of an alternative app browser) and can other email services be added to the device which are nothing to do with RIM (e.g. run an different email client which simply breaks out on to the Internet in the way email clients on e.g. Android and iPhone do).
    Finally, if using native BB email, is the code running on the device totally transparent to (i.e. unaware of ) whose email service is being connected to centrally via RIM (i.e. is the email-vendor-specific connection (and any email field mapping) done entirely centrally?
    Many tnx
    08-30-12 04:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD