the issue is that the one way polling has been streamlined, in who knows how many revisions...they're on 2.8 right now...we might not see "real time" polling in the fashion of the new features for a bit...it'll take time for them to iron it all out and get it working right, might take a new revision to the BIS service, who knows....

like i said, RIM is awesome about not having information available to the end users about the details of services and features
    10-11-09 05:08 PM
    Question: Why has VZW implemented this already but those on AT&T not? Even running OS 5 on my Bold this feature has not been allowed, what gives?
    10-12-09 03:01 PM
    it doesn't seem that it is...the contact sync isn't working, and gmail isn't doing the two way anymore...i guess it was on and then turned off...

i think it'll be "on" when the carrier releases a 5.0 OS for one of the devices...when that hits, then expect to see it back on shortly after that...
    10-12-09 03:11 PM
    I don't think Gmail will ever work correctly on BB or any other email clients. Gmail is a very advance and foward-thinking system. It doesn't follow the traditional email system, therefore it doesn't play well with others.

If you go to Gamil mobile site, it states BlackBerry is NOT fully supported.
    i think that it WILL work...but not because gmail changes...but that RIM adapts their services to support gmail....

they already have the enhanced gmail plugin, and that's only part of it...enable the sync capabilities, and improve the end user function from the device, maybe throw some color on that piece...and you have yourself an awesome BES-esque experience...
    I agree with the latter post.

RIM has gotten into a very "Apple mentality" lately of offering small little bits and everybody ooo's and ahhh's. A new BIS version and everyone is up in arms excited- and its enhanced settings menus- yay! While Gmail and other issues continue to persist.

There's nothing on Gmail that's "so advanced," its merely IMAP its nothing new. But why would RIM give you full supoprt on BIS when you could pay more and get BES! Why can you simply can pop you gmail info into any other OS and get full sync support with folders (and even native contacts/calendar on the iphone cleverly using exchange protocol) and NOT have to pay and extra $15 AND access to a BES server? Same reason you get a glorified in box on BIS vs real email on BES like every other OS gives you out of the box. Because people will settle and pay to get less. No one's ever been curious how they got it all to mysteriously work with Google Connect with BES all fully functional? Because they pay more and are higher priority!

And RIM is just going to lose in the consumer space as time progresses with a Java-based 1999 OS and their current BIS model when other platforms offer better OS's and better consumer email support. They need a big mentality 360 and quick if they want to sustain against iphone and up and coming Android, and maybe WM7 down the line in a a year. The whole "pager" style email and OS mentality wont work in 2010 and beyond when other OS's are gaining steam. The way people use their phone and email has changed since the intro of BIS and its no longer good enough for consumer email without vital functions that are missing and only present in the much more costly BES.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 10-15-09 at 03:48 AM.
    10-15-09 03:33 AM
    well, BES is more than just being able to sync contacts and more email support...but you get the idea of what i was trying to say.

i think it's more of a support issue than anything.

it requires OS 5.0 to work properly (i think, correct me if i'm wrong. i forget stuff sometimes), but none of the carriers have released an OS 5.0....so once that happens, then i suspect gmail and all of the google sync features associated with it will start working.
    10-15-09 02:52 PM
    Well I hope so since thats the main reason I stopped using my Bold for an iphone. Easy few click exchange and gmail setup in which either can do contacts/calendar.

Currently have- exchange w/folders, contacts, calendar. and Gmail with folders, the 2 caldev setups for gmail calendars. 3 total calendars, 2 email accounts with folders, and contacts. No additional app, connector, etc. Wasnt RIM supposed to be the email/PIM king?

This is what I mean. Every touts the BB email/PIM but I find it FAR inferior unless youre fortunate enough to have BES. Its a poor consumer experience right now for the rest of us compared to other OS's having this kind of support out of the box- WM, iphone, android, pre, etc

If Im going to pay the same $30 for data, i want ALL the function I can get! I feel its FAR less "productive" to have to sign into a computer to organize your mail vs having folder support and 2 way sync.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 10-15-09 at 06:05 PM.
    10-15-09 06:02 PM
    it's not meant to be a consumer platform...that's the point. it's a corporate platform that's been converted and stripped down for consumer use...which is all any blackberry really is if you think about it.

but multi-tasking is a serious priority for me, and many others. iphone doesn't offer that.
    10-15-09 06:18 PM
    It does offer that, maybe just not the way you want to go about getting it. I have it working 100% for any app....

Point being though, is that last stats I saw the consumer space was MORE than 50% of RIM's business. You cant just negate those people, because they have a huge influence on RIM's success and marketshare right now. Without their consumers theyre about as powerful as Android or WebOS right now at the bottom of the marketshare pile. BB OS just isnt attracting consumers as heavily anymore (their hardware and keyboard really is) with OS's like WebOS, iphone, Android; all flashy and feature-filled.

Goes right back to my point that the OS needs a revamp BADLY, maybe not all frilly cartoony like Android, but more consumer friendly and not based on Java (maybe Linux?). BIS would be an easy fix and has nothing to do with the platform, its just an old mentality and greed by RIM. Itd be a simple serve tweak not changing anything else.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 10-17-09 at 11:17 PM.
    10-17-09 11:13 PM
    Rim email is all about the speed, I get emails in seconds.
    Saying that, android is catching up, I tested against a friends htc tattoo and he got his gmail a little faster although I was on gprs and he was on hsdpa.
    Nevertheless, if you only use gmail android has rim beat.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-09 03:24 AM
    well RIM is meant to manage MANY email accounts...but it doesn't do large file transfer very well...i'll give RIM the speed but not much for uplink/downlink size support...and btw, the new android phones going to VZW are badass...i hero'd it up while watching "where the wild things are" tonight
    10-18-09 03:33 AM
    Speed, no doubt, but MS Exchange is close- within seconds. (Also something Android (most of them), Pre, iphone all do natively)

BIS file size sucks. I think they give you a whopping 2.5mb or something like that. Gimme a break, a powerpoint or PDF can EASILY exceed that. And forget sending any other kinds of files. Its WAY too low for an email/attachment size. Its sad though that some BB fanboys say- oh well its a business phone. Yeh so? When youre on the road would you rather get the file on your phone and look at it, or have to find a computer/take out a laptop to check your mail to even get the attachment at all? This is 2009 not 1999.

As I said RIM needs a mentality change from the 1990's to the 2000's (almost 2010 now). Theyre thinking was great 10 years ago (push email/BIS and attachments was top of the line) but now theyre trailing behind in terms of innovation and their overall system and line of thinking to mobiles. Theyre no longer pager or email devices, theyre smartphones- all in ones

Trust me if they had a consumer BES Id be a LOT more inclined to return to my BB having folders and 2 way sync etc. But using MS Exchange with BIS is essentially useless without half the features other than a messy inbox that you cant organize. Not everyone has access to a company BES server plus wants to pay ANOTHER $15 on top of the price the other OSs do it for.

They need to drop BIS totally, its old school now. Adopt a $30 consumer BES plan where they host the BES server for you (HONESLTY what does BES vs BIS cost RIM? nothing probably? its jsut data going through their servers which they already have anyways) TONS more people would be using BB if it had proper email support for current standards for consumers.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 10-18-09 at 01:23 PM.
    10-18-09 01:15 PM
    Rim email is all about the speed, I get emails in seconds.
    Saying that, android is catching up, I tested against a friends htc tattoo and he got his gmail a little faster although I was on gprs and he was on hsdpa.
    Nevertheless, if you only use gmail android has rim beat.

Active Sync works great, too on WM.

10-18-09 03:52 PM
    Active Sync works great, too on WM.

Maybe but that's pull not push email. And if you are out of 3g area that could be a big problem as every time it syncs it means you're not getting phone calls.

10-18-09 07:20 PM
    Good news: AT&T has finally added "Contact" synchronization as a check box within their BIS.

Bad news: every time I tried to enable it, it errors saying "synchronization fails". When I go to the options menu on BB, wireless synchronization is still greyed out.

Has anyone been able to successfully enable this through AT&T BIS? Or changed the setting on BB?

Using 5.0.0.238 on Bold 9000.

If your are using a 5.0 OS, and have that option available, but it keeps failing to be enabled, please post your stories over at this AT&T forum posting/thread. Ever since I started that thread, they added it to the interface. Now let's let them know it's not working:

ht tp : // forums. wireless. att. com/cng/board/message?board.id=rim & thread.id=50839
    10-18-09 08:32 PM
    Maybe but that's pull not push email. And if you are out of 3g area that could be a big problem as every time it syncs it means you're not getting phone calls.

Bad information

Activesync IS push mail. Look it up yourself on Google, not going to type a dissertation about it.

Same thing with a Blackberry when you use data not in 3G you cant get calls. Data packets are data packets. The only difference is they go through RIM's servers before going to the phone. Has nothing to do with being better with calls/3g or anything.
    10-18-09 10:31 PM
    Bis is pull/push. It pulls from your inbox to the rim servers then pushes to your device.

The only true push would be like corporate email.

And the "no data" thing is an EVDO thing. Not 3G. GSM users can do simultaneous voice and data. LTE will offer the same thing.

10-18-09 10:39 PM
    Bis is pull/push. It pulls from your inbox to the rim servers then pushes to your device.

The only true push would be like corporate email.

And the "no data" thing is an EVDO thing. Not 3G. GSM users can do simultaneous voice and data. LTE will offer the same thing.

Activesync starts every so often on your phone and it's using a lot of data as a friend of mine found out when he took out a contract with no data included, he ended up with a pretty big bill.
    Bis is push email, never mind the bis server, we are only concerned about pushing to our devices. Outlook pulls emails. Blackberrys don't pull from server and as far as I know they are the only ones. Maybe I'm wrong but I see push email as a system where your phone is only connected if an email comes through, otherwise is left alone until the next email.
    Maybe somebody with more knowledge can clear this up.
    I was impressed by android email the other day, not sure how that works but emails were getting to the phone in seconds.

10-19-09 02:22 AM
    Does this not work with Google Apps?? I have the option to check off contacts on the T-Mobile BIS Site and it keeps giving me an error.
    10-19-09 08:00 PM
    Does this not work with Google Apps?? I have the option to check off contacts on the T-Mobile BIS Site and it keeps giving me an error.
    Big Google adopter here. Have Google apps, Google email, Google sites. If Google does it, I get it.

Just checked on my T-Mobile BIS site and there's nothing there for Google sync.
    10-19-09 08:27 PM
    Same here on VZW.
    10-20-09 07:30 AM
    Hmmm... interesting reading..

I saw the contacts sync checkbox on my BIS account. I enabled the wireless contacts sync, almost immediately my google apps email starts to sync contacts from my Bold.

Issues:
    1. Multiple entries (3 to be exact) for some entries in webmail
    2. Deleting the 2 entries, will retain 1 in webmail
    3. The exact name is totally deleted in my Bold

No matter how many times i try, the result is the same.

It is disabled now.. I can't lose anymore contacts.
    10-21-09 06:15 AM
    if you have the google sync app, delete it

go into your contacts list, hit bb button, select options...go into the settings and turn "allow duplicate names" to "off"
    10-21-09 09:24 AM
    I haven't seen this posted anywhere else, but when I activated the gmail plugin sync for contacts, it started duplicating contacts (not a big surprise) but that wasn't the problem. It duplicated the name of contacts several times and replaced their information with other contact information. And the original contact with their information was deleted. so I may have had four joe smiths and one had X's info, another had Y's info and another Z's info.

Anyone else?
    10-21-09 04:04 PM
    not intended to be working yet...i predict that it will start working once they get a 5.0 OS released...but prolly not much earlier than that...
    10-21-09 05:54 PM
    Google Contact Sync can be enabled if you have upgraded Bold to 5.0.0.314.

I've discussed it in more detail in the leaked OS thread here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/off...ml#post3911393
    10-25-09 10:44 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD