Warning. This is a mild rant while I wait for my wife to get home before we go to the Verizon store. I look forward to any constructive criticism.

I'm 38. Male. Married. Frame artwork for a living. I'm also born and raised on Captain Kirk, so I like my gadgets. My dreams came true when I purchased my first smartphone. The lovely black & gold Curve 8320. My thumbs were as excited as my left foot when I'm behind the wheel of a 5-speed manual transmission.

I currently sport the Bold 9930 and a 32GB Playbook. I've been loyal, but its time to admit I'm utterly bored with BlackBerry. At this moment, I would rather be constructing a portfolio of my work on my Playbook along with creating product profiles. High quality photography. Thing is, I'm typing this sh*t because there is no app for that. There's no app for a lot of things. The iPad, however, has so many options.

In a head-to-head comparison between my PlayBook (purchased last October) and my wife's iPad2 (which she purchased a month earlier, last Sept) ... well, there is no comparison. She gets more functionality out of her tablet in relation to just about every aspect of our lives, while I try to understand how RIM can seriously claim their current product as business friendly. To me, anyway.

I hear a lot about developers getting on board with BB10, but what kind of applications are we talking about? Have these developers already become part of the BB ecosystem, or are they purely holding out for BB10? Is the current PB OS not ready to support BB10 development?

Based on what I look for in App World, not much is happening. Is it purely because of a lack of U.S. demand on the PB for certain products? Oh yeah, it doesn't have carrier support yet. Should I really expect BB10 to appear in January and compete in the modern U.S. mobile marketplace?

I understand the PlayBook is enough to make a lot of you happy, but from my point of view, it does too much of what I don't need it to (BlackBerry Bridge is USELESS to me!) and I feel left out in the cold. I really do love my PlayBook, though. The operating system anyway. Its slick. Finally. It just doesn't do much beyond that. (Best native Calculator in the bizz!) ... At least in terms of the tablet form-factor, and for the price-point, I need it to do so much more than it does. So, I'm ready to add an iPad to my pile of gadgets. (Hopefully, my wife will be home soon and we're off to the store.)

I'm still holding out for a BB10 phone, but as of now, I got work to do and my PlayBook is nothing more than a wifi only portable browser, and the 4G iPad has what I want, need, and so much more. My PlayBook becomes a $600 Alarm Clock on my night stand. Don't get me wrong. Its a kick-*ss Alarm Clock.
    Last edited by deke09; 07-22-12 at 02:11 PM.
    07-22-12 02:07 PM
    I think everyone has different needs from their mobile devices. Mine vary from day to day. I sold my kindle fire to get a playbook...then I sold that playbook and got another kindle fire...sold that fire and now I'm looking at getting another playbook!!
    Michelle Haag likes this.
    07-22-12 02:36 PM
    Sell Playbook. Purchase iPad. Done.

No device is ever going to satisfy everyone and apparently the Playbook is not the device you really need. In addition to the iPad take a look at some of the Android tablets. There will be something in those two platforms that will make you happy.
    07-22-12 02:40 PM
    I agree. Don't hold out, or hold on to something just because you have it. We purchase these pieces of mobile technology as a way to enhance our lives and hopefully make certain things easier or more functional. If what you need can be found in the iPad and/or another tablet, then by all means, go get it! With that being said, no device or platform is perfect, so make sure that you (and other consumers) do your research before you buy.

Good luck!
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-22-12 02:50 PM
    Sell Playbook. Purchase iPad. Done.

No device is ever going to satisfy everyone and apparently the Playbook is not the device you really need. In addition to the iPad take a look at some of the Android tablets. There will be something in those two platforms that will make you happy.
    wrong sell playbook buy laptop with LTE rocket stick or get an increased data plan and creat a wifi hotspot for your laptop using your 9930. you'll get more out of the laptop then any tablet
    07-22-12 04:10 PM
    Hi, this is my first post.
    One question I have is why would you want a 4G ipad but BB bridge is useless for you.
    Anyway, a little info on what you are looking for in the ap would be helpful. I did some looking and found one that might help, it is called smart office. It has a lite version if you want to try it out. I do find it hard to find some productive aps due to not knowing the names of them. I find that I am most successful when I look under the categories section.
    Hope this helps and keeps you using BB.
    07-22-12 04:24 PM
    Warning. This is a mild rant while I wait for my wife to get home before we go to the Verizon store. I look forward to any constructive criticism...I understand the PlayBook is enough to make a lot of you happy...
    come on, its a gadget and not a cardiac pacemaker...

Damian
    Last edited by Anvil2k12; 07-22-12 at 04:27 PM.
    07-22-12 04:25 PM
    Ya know what I like about the iPad, an app for everything and, that's about it. The PlayBook for me has more apps than I even need, (shy of Netflix, but I have Playon for that so problem solved). For my lifestyle the PlayBook is a fit everywhere else. And as I've said before I love the OS. As for the i-anything, I get angry every time I attempt to use it.
    07-22-12 05:15 PM
    Hi, this is my first post.
    One question I have is why would you want a 4G ipad but BB bridge is useless for you.
    Anyway, a little info on what you are looking for in the ap would be helpful. I did some looking and found one that might help, it is called smart office. It has a lite version if you want to try it out. I do find it hard to find some productive aps due to not knowing the names of them. I find that I am most successful when I look under the categories section.
    Hope this helps and keeps you using BB.
    Ok, BB Bridge being "useless" might be too strong a word. But, I rarely use it, don't enjoy using it, and as far as I know, I would have to add Mobile Hotspot service to my Verizon plan to access the internet.

Of course, now that I've arrived home from the Verizon store with a 4G iPad and a shared data plan, Mobile Hotspot is now included. Now, instead of connecting my PlayBook to a 3G 9930, I can connect my PB and my 9930 to a 4G iPad if I so choose.

I still love my PlayBook, and I'll continue to carry it around with me, but as far as productivity, I'm tired of waiting for something big to happen. Its not in my best interest to simply rely on RIM for all of my mobile needs. Unfortunately.

PS. I appreciate the time you took to check out App World. I'm not sure if I actually came across Smart Office, but I checked it out. Its still not quite what I'm looking for compared to what's available on the iPad. I'm really surprised there aren't more options that utilize the PlayBook's hardware for digital photography. Online viewers and editing, yes. But not a dedicated portfolio app for onboard organization with business integration.
    07-22-12 05:21 PM
    come on, its a gadget and not a cardiac pacemaker...

Damian
    I'd like to see a CrackBerry poll asking ... if you had to give up either of the two which would it be? lol. Not to make fun of life-or-death, but this loyal and faithful audience? It wouldn't surprise me to see of few of you convert the PlayBook into a pacemaker.
    07-22-12 05:28 PM
    No one is wrong for choosing an iPad or a PlayBook (or Android Tab). People choose what works best for them, and that is the way it should be.

I am fortunate enough to own a PlayBook as well as an iPad 2. I had the PlayBook first and used that all the time. A couple months after getting my PlayBook (on launch day) I got an iPad 2 as a gift. I used that A LOT over the next couple weeks, but since then I have used my PlayBook about 100:1. In fact, my iPad hasn't left my bedside drawer in well over 4 months and I have little intention of using it anytime soon.

For me, the iPad was boring. I actually enjoy using the PlayBook with it's OS and gestures. The iPad just makes me frustated that it feels so old and boring.
    07-22-12 05:54 PM
    Ya know what I like about the iPad, an app for everything and, that's about it. The PlayBook for me has more apps than I even need, (shy of Netflix, but I have Playon for that so problem solved). For my lifestyle the PlayBook is a fit everywhere else. And as I've said before I love the OS. As for the i-anything, I get angry every time I attempt to use it.
    i get angry every time i hear i-whatever. its never been a brand i respect and the more time the goes on the more i hate it and the more i want to bomb their HQ
    07-22-12 08:56 PM
    i get angry every time i hear i-whatever. its never been a brand i respect and the more time the goes on the more i hate it and the more i want to bomb their HQ
    And why would you do that? Just because Apple is selling more devices than any other tech companies out there (other than Samsung who is clearly catching up quickly)? Be realistic and accept that there are devices to suit a wide range of people. What works for you might not work for the next guy. That's just how it is.
    07-22-12 11:02 PM
    pretty ignorant statement. Authorities alerted to your state of mind.
    07-22-12 11:29 PM
    Here's their address:

Apple Campus,
    1-6 Infinite Loop
    Cupertino, California 95014

You can be known as the Timothy McVeigh of tech.

Seriously though..... had Apple never entered the Smartphone business, Blackberries might have more market share, but they would be crappier devices. It the pressure from Apple and Google that forced (and continues to force) RIM to step up their game.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 07-23-12 at 02:11 AM.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-23-12 01:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD