BlackBerry to integrate Bing services at the OS level -- Engadget

Geez, I despise Bing. sigh.

EDIT: this thread was placed by me into the General BB section. Mods moved it to News. That's why I didn't see another thread that beat me by a few minutes.
    Last edited by dave1812; 05-03-11 at 11:05 AM.
    05-03-11 09:15 AM
    ugh me too. Prefer google
    05-03-11 09:28 AM
    Yep, worst news so far from BB World 11. Lame!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-11 10:15 AM
    It was inevitable -- RIMM is so "in bed" with with MSFT that it wasn't a big surprize
    05-03-11 10:25 AM
    So, if they are so in bed with MS, then where is native Active Sync?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-11 10:27 AM
    So, if they are so in bed with MS, then where is native Active Sync?
    That would hurt the distribution of BES/BESX not to mention the security Downgrade going to Active Sync would engender.
    05-03-11 10:35 AM
    I'm sure those "teenagers" would appreciate the ability to get their contacts/calendar/email pushed to them from Hotmail/Gmail.

I don't think BES or security has anything to do with it.

RIM gets money from the carriers for every BB activated on BIS so it is in their financial interests to ignore activesync even though it's superior to BIS and offers a way better user experience.

Normal consumers don't use BES, so that doesn't matter there... And the security thing is just... Lol.
    05-03-11 10:47 AM
    You may LOL about security, but RIMM takes it very seriously. The big corporate market is their bread and butter (go into a Home Depot and look at the manager's cellphone -- it'll be a Blackberry) and they don't want don't want anything that comes close to seeming like the appearance of a security issue with Blackberries, so they work very hard to control what e-mail goes to their phones.
    05-03-11 11:14 AM
    can we just use google?
    will it be optional?
    05-03-11 11:14 AM
    It's too soon to know how Bing "integrated" with OS. Since Google has it's own Android, they would offer the best features like Google Maps with voice navigation to Android.

If Msft can bring a comparable feature on BB, I would not mind to use Bing.
    05-03-11 11:24 AM
    I actaully like Bing but either will do fine.

Would be nice if they gave us a choice.
    05-03-11 12:17 PM
    Will Bing give us voice turn by turn directions like Google Maps/Naviation on Android phones?
    05-03-11 12:32 PM
    Default....with the option to switch to a preferred browser and I'd be happy.But when words like "integrated" are used it makes me nervous.
    05-03-11 12:35 PM
    I'm not "nervous". I'm just getting further indications that it wouldn't be smart for me to consider a BB in the future. I really, positively, despise Bing. Google "everything" works far better for me. that's one of the reasons I'm about to get an Android phone. Having said that, BEFORE the Bing news, I could have contemplated a BB phone a year or two from now, when QNX settles down and/if RIM makes an awesome large screen, fast 4G phone for Verizon. Now, if they do that, it's a moot point for me.
    05-03-11 03:04 PM
    I am confused as to why this is an issue, currently blackberries do not have google apps as default. So you just download and use what you prefer. I don't see any sign of this changing so what is the issue?

If you do not want to use bing you can just download Google mobile and use it instead so what is the issue?
    05-03-11 03:13 PM
    I actually prefer the Bing app on app world. It's better than google. JMO
    05-03-11 03:26 PM
    Gawd i hate bing!!
    05-03-11 03:37 PM
    GAWD I HATE BING!! Why BB?? WHY WHY WHY It's a true sign of the Apocalypse.
    05-03-11 03:38 PM
    I actually prefer the Bing app on app world. It's better than google. JMO
    Not to mention GMaps has been an unreliable piece of crap on BB anyhow... They break something major every other build or introduce a bunch of lag... Then they take a long time to release the fixes for the problems created in the new version.
    05-03-11 04:32 PM
    Not to mention GMaps has been an unreliable piece of crap on BB anyhow... They break something major every other build or introduce a bunch of lag... Then they take a long time to release the fixes for the problems created in the new version.
    Agreed!! Tried them both out this past week in florida and Bing was way more accurate.
    05-03-11 05:35 PM
    can we just use google?
    will it be optional?
    A recient new story revealed, when you use Bing, you are using Google.

Bing included Google search results. The were caught in a honey pot trap.

Google Accuses Microsoft's Bing of 'Cheating' - WSJ.com
    05-03-11 05:42 PM
    I have no objection to this at all and I like them pairing up with MS. This will not stop me from using Google any way I want though!
    05-03-11 05:50 PM
    A recient new story revealed, when you use Bing, you are using Google.

Bing included Google search results. The were caught in a honey pot trap.

Google Accuses Microsoft's Bing of 'Cheating' - WSJ.com
    Which Microsoft quickly denied.
    05-03-11 05:51 PM
    AT&T customers should not worry about bing, as most of bing apps will be blocked and replaced with AT&T crap ones for 9.99$ a month.

:]
    05-03-11 06:44 PM
    I want a search engine that replicates actual desktop search services....

Google mobile app is currently dumbed down and offers very limited UX....
    05-03-11 07:09 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD