View Poll Results: How do you get your Gmail?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Add your Gmail address to your BB

50 66.67%
  • Gmail's downloadable Application

15 20.00%
  • Both the address on the BB and the Application

10 13.33%
    How do you get your Gmail? Right now I have it doing both. Kind of redundant. Not sure what to do from here.
    05-10-08 09:44 PM
    I just added my address... I don't like to take up space with applications and, for the most part, I get my gmail in a timely matter.
    05-10-08 09:50 PM
    Gmail is always quick for me on my bb
    05-10-08 09:57 PM
    I don't use my gmail account for anything important, just a few subscriptions and notices, so I don't want it cluttering up my mailbox. I have it available to check if I want to but I don't have to...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-08 11:02 PM
    I use the GMail app.

I would simply use the Messages icon, but with the GMail application I can use all the GMail shortcuts and delete, archieve etc.

I do find the app somewhat limiting though as I sometimes have to forward the email to my BB address to access links as their app viewer can't handle some things.

Patrick
    05-10-08 11:08 PM
    I use the Gmail app. It's a great way to get my Gmail without adding another reason for my memory to be eaten up. The "refresh" function is a great way to get my mail "instantly" if I really need it.
    05-11-08 01:21 AM
    How do you get your Gmail? Right now I have it doing both. Kind of redundant. Not sure what to do from here.
    Gmail is outstanding. I've consolidated all of my email addresses into my one Gmail account. It's working well. I have both my BB settings programmed to my Gmail account and I use the Gmail app.
    05-11-08 01:50 AM
    I've installed GMail mobile application on my BB pearl. I've noticed that many (not all) hyperlinks which are clickable in gmail (desktop version) are no longer clickable or browse-able in mobile version, they are converted to text.
    Without the embedded hyperlinks enabled, the e-mails do not serve much purpose.
    Is there a way to enable the (embedded) hyperlinks?
    I love the app otherwise, as I don't care that I get new emails every 15 min or so. I tried it through the BIS account, but was exasperated with having to manually synch the BIS email status to the GMail app status. I prefer that the GMail mobile app synchs with my computer based GMail.
    Also, how might I set up receiving/replying to work email? Is it as simple as adding the address to the BIS account? Pleased feel free to PM me if you have a reply on this, as I realize it's straying from the topic.
    Thanks!
    05-11-08 02:14 AM
    Google has great developers, but they need to catch Yahoo on this one. If I understand correctly, Yahoo has push which we can't do on Google. So we fake it with forwarding or use the Google app, or both. The Google app is great, but it isn't as fast as push, not even close sometimes taking about 10 minutes it seems to get an email notification.

So do we talk Google into listening? It I weren't so intertwined with Google, Google Apps, and so on I'd be trying out Yahoo mail with my Berry.
    05-11-08 08:04 PM
    Yep both I need the push now that I hav the BB. The gmail app cleans things up because I don't have a html viewer on my berry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-08 08:30 PM
    Google has great developers, but they need to catch Yahoo on this one. If I understand correctly, Yahoo has push which we can't do on Google. So we fake it with forwarding or use the Google app, or both. The Google app is great, but it isn't as fast as push, not even close sometimes taking about 10 minutes it seems to get an email notification.

So do we talk Google into listening? It I weren't so intertwined with Google, Google Apps, and so on I'd be trying out Yahoo mail with my Berry.
    Good info, thanks
    05-11-08 08:35 PM
    Use the google app, and I get my gmail as soon as I would if I was on PC. I know that some people have had problems with app but I have never had any problems with email delays of any kind
    05-11-08 08:46 PM
    I need memory!!!

Lol. Options #1
    05-11-08 09:38 PM
    Does anyone have a link to get the gmail app downloaded on the bb, or can I just sign in to my gmail account and find it there, and which one is easier?.. Thanks in advance.
    05-11-08 09:51 PM
    you gotta go to m.google.com ans scroll to gmail, maps and more.

Then you can: Download all, or scroll more and select individually.
    05-11-08 10:14 PM
    Okay, I'm now forwarding my gmail to my bb.net address. I also disabled the autocheck on Gmail's app and will only utilize it if I need to see a message in html format. With the forwarding via POP, it's much faster.

Unless someone has a better idea.
    05-11-08 10:24 PM
    I installed the gmail app to my bb, and am going to see how well i like it. If it comes in handy, I will keep it, it doesn't use up that much space and looks to have pretty much the same features as the desktop app, only smaller! Thanks for all the info you guys.
    05-12-08 12:21 AM
    i installed it via my telco's BIS site.
    05-12-08 12:29 AM
    Okay, I'm now forwarding my gmail to my bb.net address. I also disabled the autocheck on Gmail's app and will only utilize it if I need to see a message in html format. With the forwarding via POP, it's much faster.

Unless someone has a better idea.
    Again, you keep using POP incorrectly. POP is "Post Office Protocal", and is a method a POP client (like Eudora, etc.) uses to poll a POP3 SMTP mail box on a server to see if mail exists. If you setup a forward, POP3 is not involved, the SMTP server (simple mail transport protocal) simply immediately transfers the mail to the destination SMTP server. SMTP transmits mail virtually instantly. What is then "slow" is how often your POP3 mail client polls the mailbox on the destination server. When you forward to your BIS account, then that mail is then pushed (also immediately) to your BB mail client.

So, yes you will get your email a little quicker if you push it, and you can even see it in HTML if you have Empower or BBSmart HTML viewers, but for this very small increase in speed, you lose the ability to tell Google mail how to deal with your message. With the GMail app, you can delete, archieve, etc.

Moreover, perhaps the best practice is to use GMail as your primary box, benefit from it's powerful spam filtering, and then setup specific filters to forward only the mail you want to your BIS address. You can set those filters to forward then archieve/delete etc. This gives you the best of both worlds, and keeps your boxes separate.

An important advantage of NOT forwarding your GMail address is that in certain circumstances you need to have email you can access without your Blackberry. For example, if your Berry is stolen, you'll want to be able to control your recovery software with your GMail address. You might also want to have all account management accounts use the GMail address, but NOT spam your BIS account with these messages.

Anyway, to each his own.

Patrick
    05-12-08 12:55 AM
    what about the other option of having gmail fwded to your [email protected]';t this the quickest way?
    05-15-08 12:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD