I came across a very interesting article on BGR that talks about the possibility of Samsung running dual OSs on its next flagship. Android + Windows with the option to boot into the OS you want. This would be quite the evolution if it ends up on the S8. Personally, I think Windows 10 Mobile is a great OS that ended being a failure due to the lack of Apps, a problem we're all familiar with. It's BlackBerry's life story in the last few years. We've been discussing the Dual OS option for BlackBerry devices here for some time (Even though its highly unlikely), anyway I think this is important for us Blackberry fans so enjoy reading.

Here is the article:

"For years, Samsung has been toying with its own mobile operating system, the Tizen OS that never quite gained enough support to be a real Android rival.

BGR: Samsung Considering Dual-Boot Windows/Android For The S8-galaxy-s8-dual-booting-android-windows-10-1.jpg

A recent patent discovery indicates that Samsung is toying with the idea of replacing Android on its smartphones, though Tizen doesn’t seem to be a candidate. Samsung won’t just ditch the most popular smartphone OS out there from its flagship smartphones, though. But the company may do something completely unexpected: Install both Windows and Android on a flagship device like the Galaxy S8 or its successors, and allow users to boot into either OS on demand.

BGR: Samsung Considering Dual-Boot Windows/Android For The S8-galaxy-s8-dual-booting-android-wi-ndows-10-3.jpg

Considering smartphones get more powerful every year and Microsoft did create a way to run Windows 10 on a mobile device connected to a computer monitor, a dual-boot Galaxy S8 would be an interesting proposition.

BGR: Samsung Considering Dual-Boot Windows/Android For The S8-galaxy-s8-dual-booting-android-wi-ndows-10-4.jpg

You’d theoretically get the best of both worlds, assuming Google and Microsoft let Samsung pull off such a move. We’ve heard of dual-boot Windows/Android devices before, but they were killed soon after Microsoft or Google protested. Samsung did have one cool Ativ Q convertible laptop in the works, which it wanted to ship in fall 2013. But the company shelved that product.

Meanwhile, Samsung is still exploring the idea of booting multiple operating systems on a mobile device, and from the looks of these images, it seems that Samsung thinks Android and Windows could coexist on a smartphone. Users would even be able to switch between the operating systems, as these images suggest, and Samsung mentions the two operating systems by name.

BGR: Samsung Considering Dual-Boot Windows/Android For The S8-galaxy-s8-dual-booting-android-windows-10-5.jpg

Filed in early May last year and discovered by GalaxyClub, the patent features many images portraying what looks like a Galaxy S flagship that runs Windows and Android. The device could also be a Galaxy Note or a tablet from the looks of these images. The user is able to seamlessly move between operating systems, according to some of the pictures.

Before you get too excited about this concept, you should remember that technology described in patents isn’t always implemented in commercial products."

Link: https://bgr.com/2016/09/08/galaxy-s8...droid-windows/

---End of Article---

What do you think about such an idea, will it happen?.. and if it did happen, will this give BlackBerry a few ideas about Android/BB10, even though it will be very hard and Google will fiercely object.
    Last edited by Sairos; 09-08-16 at 07:54 PM.
    enrod87 likes this.
    09-08-16 06:13 PM
    Interesting. But how do they get past the OHA and Google on this one? I'm guessing it's just a proof of concept for a patent filing.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    09-08-16 07:01 PM
    Interesting. But how do they get past the OHA and Google on this one? I'm guessing it's just a proof of concept for a patent filing.
    Indeed, but the fact that they have filed for a patent means they're thinking about it. What's obvious is that Samsung is exploring the extra OS option. Their OS, Tizen is a valid proof of such thing. I think the only realistic way to go is dual OSs because no one will develop apps for their primal Tizen or even for Win 10 Mob.
    09-08-16 07:13 PM
    Indeed, but the fact that they have filed for a patent means they're thinking about it. What's obvious is that Samsung is exploring the extra OS option. Their OS, Tizen is a valid proof of such thing. I think the only realistic way to go is dual OSs because no one will develop apps for their primal Tizen or even for Win 10 Mob.
    I guess I just don't see the use case scenario where someone needs to dual boot Windows and Android?
    09-08-16 07:22 PM
    I guess I just don't see the use case scenario where someone needs to dual boot Windows and Android?
    Continuum could be a good reason.
    Sairos and PantherBlitz like this.
    09-08-16 07:24 PM
    Microsoft might allow it, since they'd love it if Samsung supported their platform again, but I'm pretty sure there's something in the OHA(as someone above mentioned) that would nix it.
    09-08-16 07:32 PM
    Continuum could be a good reason.
    Yeah, if it's full Windows like the desktop, good point. Still don't think Google will allow it, lol.
    09-08-16 07:36 PM
    Continuum + Android OS & Apps on a single device is a powerful proposal. It opens up all sort of possibilities.

To echo MikeX74, its something that would definitely excite Microsoft but not Google.
    09-08-16 07:47 PM
    If it's from a patent filing, it doesn't necessarily mean they have any intention of ever doing anything with it.

Could be strategic, like patenting it so if Apple ever makes a device that can dual boot iOS and OS X then Samsung can sue them, for example.
    09-08-16 07:51 PM
    If it's from a patent filing, it doesn't necessarily mean they have any intention of ever doing anything with it.

Could be strategic, like patenting it so if Apple ever makes a device that can dual boot iOS and OS X then Samsung can sue them, for example.
    Oooh, good thought! Revenge for the rounded corners, haha.
    09-08-16 07:54 PM
    This is a proven point as companies tend to file for all sort of patents to keep them in their drawer. It's a strategic action that is very important for solidifying their competitive advantage. We're discussing what do we think about it.

In the end, of course not every single patent gets fired up eventually. A point that was stressed in the end of the article: "Before you get too excited about this concept, you should remember that technology described in patents isn’t always implemented in commercial products."
    09-08-16 07:58 PM
    This is a proven point as companies tend to file for all sort of patents to keep them in their drawer. It's a strategic action that is very important for solidifying their competitive advantage. We're discussing what do we think about it.

In the end, of course not every single patent gets fired up eventually. A point that was stressed in the end of the article: "Before you get too excited about this concept, you should remember that technology described in patents isn’t always implemented in commercial products."
    Well, in theory I think it's a great idea. I also think a dual boot BB10 / Android device is a great idea. Have my cake and eat it too.

It rarely works out in real life. I like having a dual boot Linux / Windows environment and Microsoft certainly isn't so gung ho in that case...

But who knows down the road as iOT etc fleshes out. It could be a wise thing for Samsung to patent this. Frankly I'm surprised no one else has patented the idea of dual boot. Doesn't BlackBerry have a similar concept with their something something Hypervisor? I'm not up to speed on the technical details but I've seen it mentioned several times.
    Sairos likes this.
    09-08-16 08:07 PM
    Companies file patents on reseach all the time and the technology never makes it into a commercial product. Just because they filed does not mean they have any plans for a dual boot phone.
    09-09-16 02:14 AM
    Oooh, good thought! Revenge for the rounded corners, haha.
    You can't patent an idea, only the implementation of an idea. Besides, Apple owns both OS's she mentioned. What would stop them from coming up with their own implementation? Or just skipping that and merging the two OS's? And they already have devices that dual-boot: Macs.
    09-09-16 05:56 AM
    If blackberry could have pulled this off or still with bb10 and android. Would have been nice. So sad developers gave BlackBerry and the OS the middle finger.

I welcome my stalker
    09-09-16 05:58 AM
    Does that mean if implemented, it might only half explode?
    Flatman likes this.
    09-09-16 06:55 AM
    Does that mean if implemented, it might only half explode?
    You get a blue screen of death, then the explosion.

Posted via CB10
    PantherBlitz, Flatman and MikeX74 like this.
    09-09-16 07:00 AM
    You get a blue screen of death, then the explosion.

Posted via CB10
    Ha! Apparently here in the US, the FAA is now mandating that any S7 users power down their devices completely if hand carrying, and not to check them in the baggage..

Samsung Galaxy Note 7: FAA warns plane passengers not to use the phone - Sep. 8, 2016
    09-09-16 07:05 AM
    Out of curiosity, has anyone here had any experience using the Windows mobile OS? How does it compare to the others?

Posted via CB10
    09-09-16 07:06 AM
    Out of curiosity, has anyone here had any experience using the Windows mobile OS? How does it compare to the others?

Posted via CB10
    I guess the best word to describe the Windows 10 mobile experience is "polarizing". The interface is completely different from all other OSs and you're either going to love it or hate it, with little middle ground inbetween.

The app ecosystem is worse than that of iOS/Android, but in terms of native apps it's ahead of BB10.
    09-09-16 07:12 AM
    Companies file patents on reseach all the time and the technology never makes it into a commercial product. Just because they filed does not mean they have any plans for a dual boot phone.
    Oh seriously? Because I thought every patent, like every single one of them ends up in a commercial product. Groundbreaking info here, you've enlightened me and the whole forum. Does "Thinking about it" qualifies as will definitely put it in our products?

Good God man, don't you think I know this xD? Couldn't you scroll down a little and see my other post?.. You're stating the most obvious thing in the whole world.

Please if you've something to add it, then go for it, but If you will come in and tell us: "Just because they whatever that doesn't mean whatever" then we ALREADY know that. The article stressed that. I already said that in an extra post. I expected someone will say the exact same thing you said. The most unoriginal thing to say. So you win that award, Clap Clap.
    09-09-16 08:39 AM
    It should be noted that Microsoft has ALSO banned dual-booting devices (from the factory) - they don't allow anyone who sells a device running Windows to have it set up to also boot some other OS. What an end-user does after they buy it is up to them, of course, but MS has a lot of control over what the manufacturers who license their OSs can do with those OSs - and dual-boot devices are out.

Just like Google, MS wants people to buy their OS and keep it. They don't want on-device competition.
    09-09-16 11:31 AM
    It should be noted that Microsoft has ALSO banned dual-booting devices (from the factory) - they don't allow anyone who sells a device running Windows to have it set up to also boot some other OS. What an end-user does after they buy it is up to them, of course, but MS has a lot of control over what the manufacturers who license their OSs can do with those OSs - and dual-boot devices are out.

Just like Google, MS wants people to buy their OS and keep it. They don't want on-device competition.
    This what I call useful input. Why do you think they've filed such a patient?
    09-09-16 02:50 PM
    This what I call useful input. Why do you think they've filed such a patient?
    As others have mentioned, when a company discovers a new way of doing something, patenting that process - even if you don't have any current use for it - might some day be lucrative. You never know what might change in 5 or 10 years, so getting that patent locked down now could give them a future advantage. Of course, it could also expire unused, making the time, effort, and money to secure (and perhaps even defend) the patent a waste. It's hard to know that far in the future.
    09-09-16 03:04 PM
    As others have mentioned, when a company discovers a new way of doing something, patenting that process - even if you don't have any current use for it - might some day be lucrative. You never know what might change in 5 or 10 years, so getting that patent locked down now could give them a future advantage. Of course, it could also expire unused, making the time, effort, and money to secure (and perhaps even defend) the patent a waste. It's hard to know that far in the future.
    Yeah that point is already proven. I know they patent everything whether its useful to them or not. Some companies have tens of thousands of patents. What I mean is, patenting something like that in relation to the upcoming release of the S8. Why, other than locking it down. That's what I was asking. I personally think its highly unlikely to happen and from what I see, you think they're just locking down the patent for now, correct?
    09-09-16 04:25 PM
40 12