Jonathan Geller of BGR had video recorded interview with Frank Boulben, Research In Motion's Chief Marketing Officer.

I found it interesting that he confirmed BBM will be on the PlayBook when it receives BB10 (not that it is surprise).

Below is the link to the full video (NOT on BGR's website, because that would just be gross).

BGR Interview with Research In Motion CMO Frank Boulben on Vimeo

Let me know what you think.

Freeze
    08-23-12 03:30 PM
    Thx for posting the non BGR video link
    08-23-12 03:50 PM
    Loves the way he explains the in-and-out paradigm, and how RIM is changing the game.

ALWAYS IN
    08-23-12 03:59 PM
    I like that they are doing interviews but to most of the people here, it feels like they haven't said anything new in a long time
    08-23-12 05:42 PM
    I like that they are doing interviews but to most of the people here, it feels like they haven't said anything new in a long time
    tryign to keep things hush hush, why spill the beans and lose all the hype in a few months
    08-23-12 05:50 PM
    I'm surprised anyone from RIM gave BGR the time of day.
    Knightcrawler and iamshadow like this.
    08-23-12 05:56 PM
    tryign to keep things hush hush, why spill the beans and lose all the hype in a few months
    Oh no I completely understand it just sucks for us haha just wish there was something new to talk about instead of people rehashing the same thing.
    battery likes this.
    08-23-12 06:10 PM
    I noticed he said something along the lines of "a lot of new BBM features that I can not discuss yet". Can't wait to see these new features in play on BB10!
    BB10FTW likes this.
    08-23-12 06:20 PM
    I'm surprised anyone from RIM gave BGR the time of day.
    I guess that shows how irrational and silly "hating" BGR is, then.
    08-23-12 06:21 PM
    I was surprised that anyone from RIM sat down with Jonathan. But I watched the whole thing, and I thought Jonathan asked some really good questions, and maybe he's just a great actor, but it seemed like most of his questions were coming from a place of concern. I know he likes to pronounce RIM dead as often as possible, and thinks everything Apple makes is THE BEST EVER, but it was cool of him to sit down with someone from RIM so we can have some insight as to what BlackBerry marketing is in store.
    08-23-12 06:35 PM
    Forget about platform comparisons, let's compare hair do's. Jonathans head looks like a bowling ball with Pete moss on it. While Franks looks like James Bond (common among bb users). Also during Franks explanation on integrated inbox, the camera flashed back to Jonathon for a moment and he look like he may have poo'd his pants.

Joking aside. I think it was well done. Frank handle the questions well.
    Jince, spike12, Masahiro and 1 others like this.
    08-23-12 06:42 PM
    watching the vid right now. My first view of jg on vid or his voice. Not a bad interview so far at the 2.5 - 3 minute mark as far as the questions go, but jg already rubs me the wrong way - don't know what it is about his tone, facial expressions, or . . . what? Something is irritating, snarky, pompous, . . . SOMETHING!!!!
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    08-23-12 07:41 PM
    watching the vid right now. My first view of jg on vid or his voice. Not a bad interview so far at the 2.5 - 3 minute mark as far as the questions go, but jg already rubs me the wrong way - don't know what it is about his tone, facial expressions, or . . . what? Something is irritating, snarky, pompous, . . . SOMETHING!!!!
    I agree, his facial expressions are similar to the chimps on planet of the apes
    He may be the son of Cornelius and Zira.
    08-23-12 07:55 PM
    Yo.. you all need to...

You're entitled to not like Jonathan but chill out on the hate up in hurr! lol.
    mrfreeze likes this.
    08-23-12 08:25 PM
    Forget about platform comparisons, let's compare hair do's. Jonathans head looks like a bowling ball with Pete moss on it. While Franks looks like James Bond (common among bb users). Also during Franks explanation on integrated inbox, the camera flashed back to Jonathon for a moment and he look like he may have poo'd his pants.

Joking aside. I think it was well done. Frank handle the questions well.
    Lmao.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    08-23-12 08:27 PM
    I am absolutely shocked that rim gave bgr time. Good for them. I refuse to watch anything with the self proclaimed boy genius though.
    08-23-12 11:27 PM
    No need to make personal attacks against JG.
    I don't like him either, but attacking him & making fun if his face ect. makes you worse then him.

I think he did ask some good questions....though I think they were intended to try to trip up Frank, but he did a great job handling them.

I would also like to see those kinds of interviews here on CB. JG is a Blogger just like Kevin, & yet his interview video showed both participants & when talking about a certain feature would switch to a video showing that feature.
    08-24-12 01:48 AM
    I think it was a very smart step for RIM to give the interview with BGR.. If they can make an attempt to win him over, it will definitely help with public perception.
    08-24-12 04:09 AM
    I'm not "hating" on BGR. I just find it surprising because it's no secret that BGR and RIM don't have the warmest relationship, although the RIM as of late has been more public-friendly.
    08-24-12 04:24 AM
    Kudos to RIM for finally starting to do something right for its public image. For BB10 to be successful, RIM does not have to preach to the converted. It has to reach out and convince all the people that read BGR and every other blog site out there, that BB10 is worth a look. It has to get away from the image that it is holed up in its safe place, flinging poo at all the amused observers watching its every move, to one where it is seen as a new, fresh vibrant company with products people will want to buy. And to do this it has to send out smart, pleasant, informed, humourous spokespeople that will engage ANYONE in intelligent discourse, to consistently work on crafting its new image from now until BB10 is released. This is a step in the right direction. But there is only one Frank, he needs many more credible evangelists.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-24-12 07:29 AM
    Exactly.

Plus, say what you want about BGR (or the rest of the imaginary faction of the press that "wrongfully" criticizes RIM), but at this junction, RIM needs them way more than they need it.
    08-24-12 07:36 AM
    Yo.. you all need to...

Click to view quoted image

Was the Mr. Freeze quote for me? lol.. Oh and I wasn't trying to personally insult him.

Here is a good video for you to watch:

08-24-12 08:18 AM
    Yo.. you all need to...

Click to view quoted image

I seriously thought my post slipped threw the cracks lol Guess not, but johnathan makes my stomach turn upside down.
    08-24-12 09:07 AM
    He wears big boy pants now: he dishes it out, he better be able to take it. Imagine something like this:

You: "honey, I'm home!"
    Your BF or GF: "Hi sweetie! How was your day?"
    You: "I got a promotion and a raise!!"
    Your BF or GF: "...well, your skills are so weak you couldn't get a job anywhere else so you better start worrying about your long-term prospects and brush up on new technologies."

He can say "I don't hate RIM" all he wants, but it's clear that what he likes more, a LOT more, is page views: his stilted "critical" tone and backhanded "if its not already too late" even on positive RIM news shows he loves writing provocative, possibly misleading, copy more than he loves RIM, more than RIM shareholders, more than RIM developers, more than the BB user community, and more than doing journalism 101 fact checking on his posts to emsure his posts are balanced and reality-based.

...But point taken: I'll save it for the BGR comments.
    Last edited by lorax1284; 08-24-12 at 07:43 PM.
    08-24-12 05:01 PM
    One thing I found interesting was Frank Boulben mentioning about the marketing strategy of BB10. The point where he said that because BB10 will be a new paradigm, the marketing process is actually an education process, the earlier they start the earlier process and get people familiar with it, the better it will be for the launch.

This was one of my worries a while ago, that gesture based interface would be difficult for people to just grab the demo device in carrier stores, and just use it. they will definitely have trouble with how to get out back into the "home" screen. Being so familiar with that kind of in-out paradigm, and having a back or home button on phones.

Hearing him say this kinda makes me feel a bit better, as they probably start to show a bit more of that paradigm in the coming months. And of course with RIM giving sneak preview of the handset to major tech sites would help too (even the bashing ones), so when they get their hands on one and do a review of it, they will be in the know to operate the UI. When people see these reviews, no matter BB fans or haters, they will at least get an idea of how to use it, and can then play with a demo if interested.

But still, I think more needs to be done in this aspect. There are still a huge amount of consumers who doesn't visit tech review sites, or keep up with the latest phone out there. So when they walk into a carrier store, they see the demo, they might still have some trouble using a BB10 device. And if the first experience they have with the phone is frustration from not knowing how to use the device, they'll just label it as a complicated, unintuitive OS. Turning them off.

Having BB fans show off their phones to friends would be a good marketing too, but the phone has to be rock solid first, and then they have to get people interested first.

So I'm definitely interested in what Frank has up his sleeve in this aspect, and how to tackle this issue.

---

I thought the interview was professionally done and he did raised a lot of valid questions. Frank also answered nicely, and he knows his stuffs. Especially when asked about why bb users are staying/leaving the platform. He seems to understand the appeal BB devices now.

Sent from RIMpire BlackBerry using the force
    Last edited by Alex_Hong; 08-25-12 at 05:15 PM.
    08-25-12 05:11 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD