If the report is true, it isn't optimal news for BBRY, no matter how you cut it.

LOL... I remember when folks here proclaimed 4" screens as too big. Now it's just right, eh?

With HTC desperately needing a home run, it'll be an interesting Spring. Consumers win.

I know!!!! It's so funny to read the turnarounds....

I'm also loving those who defended the 9900 camera to the death and who are now drooling over what a Z10 camera (that has caught up to what others have been doing since 2011) is able to accomplish....
    02-08-13 10:00 AM
    Good old Crackberry faithful, always can be relied upon to bury their heads in the sand.

The OP wasn't asking if you found the GS3 'plasticky' or if big screens are 'an annoying fad'. Bottom line is, the Galaxy Series sell like crazy, like almost iPhone crazy. And one is likely gonna launch in March, before the Z10 goes on sale.
    Smart people will understand that BB has a SERIOUS problem with visibility if it's in direct competition against the GS4. Head to head, the Z10 will be given less carrier billing, less visible space, less advertisement, less media coverage. To imagine that the GS 4 will not significantly truncate Z10 sales is pure folly.
    This has never been solely about BB catering to their established userbase...this has been about BB attracting new customers. That will be pretty difficult in Q2 with the Galaxy sucking out all the oxygen in the room.

To make matters worse, MWC is in February. There will be loads of awesome new phones announced there from HTC, Sony, LG, Nokia and Motorola. People who say customers aren't drawn by specs are delusional...marketing terms like Super AMOLED, 'Quad Core' and of course a much higher megapixel count suck in millions of consumers. There's newer, more powerful silicon from Nvidia, Qualcomm and Samsung that will deliver very high benchmarks and very detailed gaming graphics. These will hurt Blackberry.

Go ask HTC how their One X was slaughtered at retail by the Galaxy S III last year.

Blackberry has much to fear and the only solution is to massively ramp up marketing and find a way to ensure the carriers commit to robust in-store promotion.
    Agreed, Samsung is opening the floodgates and even Apple is having to paddle for a change. You can see them, 'What is this giant spatula for?'

HTC? Where have I heard that before? (Looks around)

BB better be investing in some major horsepower if they wanna swim upstream. Those rapids are a lot closer than they wanna admit. Good has to get a lot better, fast.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-08-13 10:03 AM
    Yesterday we were watching a video on the Sammy TV we have at work here, sent from my GNote via iMediashare wirelessly when a phone call came in. Was wondering what would happen in that case since my GNote can't multitask ( ) and guess what...I could talk on the phone while the video was still playing up on the screen. No choppiness, hestiation just kept on playing for the others in the office while I was on a call. Was even able to select another video to play when the one I had been watching was over, all while in the midst of the call.

Processing power matters more and more as we want these devices to do more and more.
    Rickroller, JeepBB and BergerKing like this.
    02-08-13 10:08 AM
    There are rumors of an iPhone5S and an iPhone6 will both be released this year. The iPhone6 will supposedly have close to the same specs as the S4: iPhone 5S, 5-inch iPhone 6 allegedly spotted at supplier | Apple - CNET News

With possible two new iPhones and the S4 being released this year, I hope the other four BB10 devices are good because they will get lost in a hurry in the USA at least.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-08-13 10:11 AM
    Yesterday we were watching a video on the Sammy TV we have at work here, sent from my GNote via iMediashare wirelessly when a phone call came in. Was wondering what would happen in that case since my GNote can't multitask ( ) and guess what...I could talk on the phone while the video was still playing up on the screen. No choppiness, hestiation just kept on playing for the others in the office while I was on a call. Was even able to select another video to play when the one I had been watching was over, all while in the midst of the call.

Processing power matters more and more as we want these devices to do more and more.
    For those that don't think processing power matters, watch this video: Must Watch: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Replaces The PC [ColdFustion] - YouTube
    Of course, to those who just email, text and web browse, this stuff might not matter, but as we move forward in the age of "mobile computing", it most certainly does. For example, I got the Moto Atrix when it was first released, along with the Lapdock it connected to. In my mind, the concept was brilliant (having the phone be the brains of the laptop), however, the hardware just wasn't there yet. Of course, it was one of the first Dual Core phones to hit the market, but still with only 1GB of RAM, which severely limited it's processing capabilities and whatnot when used as a Laptop. I'm guessing the same concept in today's world would have been much better received, simply due to the hardware advancements.
    02-08-13 10:23 AM
    So the unveiling of Samsung S4 will be on the same day as the release of Z10 in the US??? Oh man.... GG WP
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-08-13 10:54 AM
    Who gives a hootennanny about this S4 business. I just want my Z10 now!

The announcement of "The Next Big Thing" will coincide with the release of the Z10 in the US, but those of us who are waiting for the Z10 will lock in for another 2 years to our carriers. Anyone who has an upgrade in May/June will have a decision to make. I just hope US carriers educate their employees on the Z10, Q10, and the BB10 platform so consumers can make an informed decision about what phone they want.

As long as BB is selling sh!t, I'm buying and I'm bringing my family to the table too.
    BergerKing and schmeat like this.
    02-08-13 11:38 AM

The announcement of "The Next Big Thing" will coincide with the release of the Z10 in the US, but those of us who are waiting for the Z10 will lock in for another 2 years to our carriers. Anyone who has an upgrade in May/June will have a decision to make. I just hope US carriers educate their employees on the Z10, Q10, and the BB10 platform so consumers can make an informed decision about what phone they want.

As long as BB is selling sh!t, I'm buying and I'm bringing my family to the table too.
    OK, I'm loving you for that word.....
    02-08-13 11:40 AM
    Don't you mean building your own OS from Linux up? Lol
    No, I think they meant they bought a company that was building their own OS from Linux up.

what happends when google stops making android and samsung is left to develop its own OS?

I think I read an article on it somewhere, but that could definitely kill samsung if they don't do it properly. Also, how it affects past phones with no OS update is another thing as well.
    I don't think the Feds will allow that. Google provides them with a weath of information on their subjects. How many people only started using Google services because of Android ?
    02-08-13 12:48 PM

I too want the z10, but the more I read the more I find things are missing we have become accustomed to. This phone for as long as we have waited already seems rushed. I will try it, but do I want to lock into a phone for 2 years and still be waiting for updates on things other phones already have? Even though I dont use the popular apps the z10 is still missing, it leaves me wondering why they are still missing. Without Bis and push email do I really need BB anymore?Security?I'm not the president, I dont think anybodys gonna hack my phone for a couple of hidden booty pics. Its been like a trusted friend for over 10 years now, but times change. I will check out the Samsung as well as the new Sony before I comit to any of them.
    JeepBB, BergerKing, Saiga and 2 others like this.
    02-08-13 01:00 PM
    There are rumors of an iPhone5S and an iPhone6 will both be released this year. The iPhone6 will supposedly have close to the same specs as the S4: iPhone 5S, 5-inch iPhone 6 allegedly spotted at supplier | Apple - CNET News

With possible two new iPhones and the S4 being released this year, I hope the other four BB10 devices are good because they will get lost in a hurry in the USA at least.
    Oooh, oooh (waves arms frantically) don't forget, they're gonna go color ! (Gasp!)
    02-08-13 01:37 PM

I'm also loving those who defended the 9900 camera to the death and who are now drooling over what a Z10 camera (that has caught up to what others have been doing since 2011) is able to accomplish....
    Just because people defended the 9900 camera doesn't mean they all thought it was better than any other camera available... People were over-exaggerating the drawbacks and claiming the camera was useless, which was complete crap.
    02-08-13 02:14 PM
    Just because people defended the 9900 camera doesn't mean they all thought it was better than any other camera available... People were over-exaggerating the drawbacks and claiming the camera was useless, which was complete crap.
    OMFG! Was it ever a ruckus! And all the calls for it be fixed, right now! 'Oh, I want a golden camera, daddy, and I want it right NOW![/VerucaSalt]
    02-08-13 02:35 PM
    Sony is also launching the Xperia Z soon
    It is going to boasts a 13-megapixel camera that shares many features of Sony’s CyberShot digital cameras and a new display that applies the company’s TV experience to the smartphone.
    5 inch Full HD (1920 x 1080, 441 ppi)
    Adreno 320 GPUs
    quad-core 1.5GHz Qualcomm processors

But there is always going to be something new, something better being release. The key is that the Z10 is NOT in the same catagory as these top of the line deivces, even though it is being priced as such. THAT is going to hurt RIM's sales in the US! The BB10 ecosystem is not better. The hardware isn't going to be better. And it seems that the software isn't quite there either. So why would a consumer pay more for less??

BB fans will.
    Gov & Corporate customers will.

But those two groups don't make BB10 a success.
    rottonj likes this.
    02-08-13 02:37 PM

Bottom line: there are a number of usual suspects here who's opinions, judgments, and reasoning cannot be trusted in any way, shape, or form, to be consistent or fairly applied. Some people, will alter their judgment, and their reasoning process based solely on outcome: to serve worship of BB. This is the fanboy. What does amaze me, is the lack of self-awareness. They aren't just hypocritical...they are gleefully hypocritical.
    rottonj, Rickroller, Saiga and 3 others like this.
    02-08-13 02:53 PM
    Sony is also launching the Xperia Z soon
    It is going to boasts a 13-megapixel camera that shares many features of Sony’s CyberShot digital cameras and a new display that applies the company’s TV experience to the smartphone.
    5 inch Full HD (1920 x 1080, 441 ppi)
    Adreno 320 GPUs
    quad-core 1.5GHz Qualcomm processors

But there is always going to be something new, something better being release. The key is that the Z10 is NOT in the same catagory as these top of the line deivces, even though it is being priced as such. THAT is going to hurt RIM's sales in the US! The BB10 ecosystem is not better. The hardware isn't going to be better. And it seems that the software isn't quite there either. So why would a consumer pay more for less??

BB fans will.
    Gov & Corporate customers will.

But those two groups don't make BB10 a success.
    Yea, thats the phone I'm really interested in comparing. Sony uses great lenses in their cameras, a 13 mp camera in a phone with great lens is a home run. My teenager has the LG optimus G. It has a 13mp camera, but the pics are good , not outstanding. That has a quad core with huge screen too.Handles everything very easy. We have no easy decision with what BB has put out and what everyone else has.Choose wisely.
    Last edited by rottonj; 02-08-13 at 03:22 PM. Reason: spelling
    02-08-13 03:05 PM
    I have a 9900.
    I missed plenty of shots because of that camera.
    That camera is adequate on a 2007 Curve.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-08-13 03:54 PM
    the 5 inch screen actually isnt going to increase the size of the device from what i have seen. bezels are getting smaller as the screen gets bigger. I love the idea of the screen size/resolution but i prefer nexus devices over the skinned sammy. No doubt this will appear to the gen pop just like the s3 though.

Attachment 134362
    Holy moly
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-08-13 04:45 PM
    I know a phone with 8+ cores, that can play video and Angry Birds at the same time, and have a 14+ mega pixel camera may seem like a wasted/useless feature to many, but I'm glad to see Samsung and other companies moving the technology forward. That is one of the great benefits of competition.

There will still be other phones available that are smaller in size, with all the features that suit "your" needs.

Let technology advance, not be stagnant because you don't need it or think it's a waste, I say.

I personally love it because I LOVE tech.
    02-08-13 05:37 PM
    Well considering the S3 has sold over 40 million phones, people are going to scoop this up like crazy. The screen size does not matter to most people. I mean even the NOTE 2 which is HUGE is about to sell 10 million. The S4 It obviously will make people think twice about the Z10, when by specs wise, it will already seem out of date.

Your average consumer only cares about what has " more ". I said this could be a huge problem for when Z10 comes out in March, and it looks like it might be.

Your hardcore BB fans will of course buy the Z10, but everyone else will most likely go for whats better spec wise and based off how much of a success the NOTE and GS2/GS3 have been. I'm sure I will be called a troll or a hater, but its just the way it is.

I was considering buying the Z10, but why in the world would I consider it when I know a month or two from now, something better is coming out. I have to keep this phone for 2 years. I do not want something that seems dated. I get the same reaction from everyone I know without blackberrys. Also, the fact is, the Z10 is not even a GREAT phone with no problems. If I am waiting on using an upgrade, its going to be on something that will last and feel fresh. How many phones have a 13mp camera and quad core/ 8 core in the US? Basically none.. And hey it might not be " needed ", but for a phone I am going to have for 2 years, its WANTED and will compete with future phones that will have the same.

It bothers me because I use to have BB for years and was hoping and wishing they would come out with something that would WOW me and bring me back. I am that kind of customer that they need to return to be successful. Just did not happen. Even those fake s4 photos ( if they are fake ) blow away the look of the Z10.

That being said, if you have the Z10, or are a big BB fan for years who still has one, dont let anything sway you away from it. You know your going to like it and that is all that matters. I'm just giving my opinion as someone who use to have BB and was thinking about coming back to see the latest.
    Last edited by Italiannyc; 02-08-13 at 06:15 PM.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-08-13 05:53 PM
    Well considering the S3 has sold over 40 million phones, people are going to scoop this up like crazy. The screen size does not matter to most people. I mean even the NOTE 2 which is HUGE is about to sell 10 million. The S4 It obviously will make people think twice about the Z10, when by specs wise, it will already seem out of date.

Your average consumer only cares about what has " more ". I said this could be a huge problem for when Z10 comes out in March, and it looks like it might be.

Your hardcore BB fans will of course buy the Z10, but everyone else will most likely go for whats better spec wise and based off how much of a success the NOTE and GS2/GS3 have been. I'm sure I will be called a troll or a hater, but its just the way it is.

I was considering buying the Z10, but why in the world would I consider it when I know a month or two from now, something better is coming out. I have to keep this phone for 2 years. I do not want something that seems dated. I get the same reaction from everyone I know without blackberrys. Also, the fact is, the Z10 is not even a GREAT phone with no problems. If I am waiting on using an upgrade, its going to be on something that will last and feel fresh.
    Arghhhhh youre making me to really consider returning my Z10.... I am afraid by 6 months or so when they release BB Aristo/Samsung S4, i wont be able to sell this Z10 on craigslist and get a lot of money back
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-08-13 05:59 PM
    ...but why in the world would I consider it when I know a month or two from now, something better is coming out. I have to keep this phone for 2 years.
    The only solution to this problem is to never buy tech again. Ever.
    02-08-13 07:56 PM
    I know a phone with 8+ cores, that can play video and Angry Birds at the same time, and have a 14+ mega pixel camera may seem like a wasted/useless feature to many, but I'm glad to see Samsung and other companies moving the technology forward. That is one of the great benefits of competition.

There will still be other phones available that are smaller in size, with all the features that suit "your" needs.

Let technology advance, not be stagnant because you don't need it or think it's a waste, I say.

I personally love it because I LOVE tech.
    The only solution to this problem is to never buy tech again. Ever.
    Exactly and exactly.
    Moonbase0ne and BergerKing like this.
    02-08-13 08:07 PM
    I too want the z10, but the more I read the more I find things are missing we have become accustomed to. This phone for as long as we have waited already seems rushed. I will try it, but do I want to lock into a phone for 2 years and still be waiting for updates on things other phones already have? Even though I dont use the popular apps the z10 is still missing, it leaves me wondering why they are still missing. Without Bis and push email do I really need BB anymore?Security?I'm not the president, I dont think anybodys gonna hack my phone for a couple of hidden booty pics. Its been like a trusted friend for over 10 years now, but times change. I will check out the Samsung as well as the new Sony before I comit to any of them.
    By all means..this is what I want to see. Go ahead try the Z10, S4, shucks throw in one of those old school RAZR in the mix. Sure, the Z10 is missing some things and we are all scratching our heads, but I've used other platforms..I thought the grass was greener on the other side, but it's greener where you water it. I like what I've seen from bb10 so far and my assumption is that it can only get better from here.

I'm locking in for those two years because I don't have the cash to throw at a new set of tinker toys...spppssshhh post-grad life is serious!
    02-08-13 11:15 PM
    This phone is awesome. I'm loving it, I would definitely bought it over the GS4. Specs are just specs, the z10 has an excellent overall experience. I don't see the experience getting any better with more hardware.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-08-13 11:48 PM
171 ... 4567