Considering the device alone is a red-herring, it's the firehose that Samsung turns on the retail environment when the launch a new phone that is the real issue - hard for anyone else to get a look-in when Samsung is throwing money at the situation like the world is about to end.
    02-07-13 01:00 AM
    It is android! file close again
    02-07-13 01:14 AM
    HTC is supposedly about to release a whiz-bang camera and a new spin on audio and media - should be interesting - they make some incredible screens already.
    Nokia had a camera that smashed most other phones and got almost nothing from it... So far HTC has learned very little over a long period of going downhill, so I don't have much faith in them at this point.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-07-13 01:15 AM
    BlackBerry 10 Aristo Specifications | RapidBerry - Quad Core 1.5GHz, 4.65″, 2800mAh battery and 8.85mm thickness.
    Calm down people. I think quad-core processor is more than enough for a smartphone. Do you want to play GTA or Dota 2 on your smartphone? Email, reading some document files and browsing are all I need.
    02-07-13 01:35 AM
    These insane specs mean nothing. They only matter in the Android space because it's the only way for vendor A to distinguish itself from vendor B. My wife has a Galaxy Note II which is on paper probably one of the highest spec phones on the market at this moment. It runs fine but nothing about the phone feels better or faster than a Z10, iPhone 5 or whatever other phone. In fact, certain UI effects STILL appear sluggish to me on this beast of a phone.

Seriously, it does NOT matter. Most regular consumers don't even know what dual-core, quad-core or octa-core actually means.
    Foreverup and joe_23 like this.
    02-07-13 02:01 AM
    Lol, another person who have no idea about the A15 big-little arrangement. Freq range is tougher to nail but I think it would likely be 1.6 ~ 1.8Ghz range. Therefore, essentially both are saying about the same thing.
    From some of the sources I've seen, they were expecting to down-step the 2.0 to 1.8 or 1.7, but we know these things are subject to change.
    02-07-13 02:25 AM
    5" screen? Come on man, the screen of the S3 was too damn big, that device looked ridiculous as a phone (in my opinion)...now they're going even bigger
    Ahh, but if the unit comes out roughly the size of the SIII with more screen real estate, that will keep it within a functional range. Even with my smallish hands, I find the SIII just fine for one or two-handed use. Yeah, I have to stretch a bit for that top left icon, but it is doable.
    02-07-13 02:29 AM
    Mar 15th in Europe and I can't get a GIV in North America until MAY OR JUNE?!?!?!?!?! I AM OUTRAGED!!!!!

WHY DIDN'T SAMSUNG GET HANDSETS TO THE US CARRIERS EARLIER!?!?!?!?
    Nice twist....
    02-07-13 02:34 AM
    i miss dedicated camera buttons im sort of content with the volume+ button on the iphone working as a camera button but i miss the 9700 one.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-07-13 02:36 AM
    HTC won't hit a home run and I don't really consider two way competition a huge consumer win personally... Consumers think they "win" if 90% of them use a single phone model...
    Agreed, HTC has been sinking faster than legacy BB, and my son went thru 4 HTCs in less than a month before Sprint pulled a brand new older Samsung out of the box and put it in his hands. Considering it was a craigslist purchase that rolled into refurbs, the deal worked out nicely, and he got a better trade-in credit to boot, without burning the next upgrade.
    02-07-13 02:39 AM
    Wait a sec, an 8core, is that a joke? lmao... WHY

yeah, they just throwing numbers up there for the sake of it, ooo look shiny numbers
    02-07-13 02:40 AM
    i miss dedicated camera buttons im sort of content with the volume+ button on the iphone working as a camera button but i miss the 9700 one.
    Yes, I traded the Moto Photon for the SIII, and immediately missed the dedicated button, especially being able to launch the camera without having to activate the screen to open it.
    02-07-13 02:42 AM
    Wait a sec, an 8core, is that a joke? lmao... WHY
    The same thing applies to why a dog licks himself; Because he can...
    Blacklatino and rottonj like this.
    02-07-13 02:43 AM
    what happends when google stops making android and samsung is left to develop its own OS?

I think I read an article on it somewhere, but that could definitely kill samsung if they don't do it properly. Also, how it affects past phones with no OS update is another thing as well.
    02-07-13 09:08 AM
    These insane specs mean nothing. They only matter in the Android space because it's the only way for vendor A to distinguish itself from vendor B. My wife has a Galaxy Note II which is on paper probably one of the highest spec phones on the market at this moment. It runs fine but nothing about the phone feels better or faster than a Z10, iPhone 5 or whatever other phone. In fact, certain UI effects STILL appear sluggish to me on this beast of a phone.

Seriously, it does NOT matter. Most regular consumers don't even know what dual-core, quad-core or octa-core actually means.
    Disagree. You say your wife has a Note 2, but has she ran 3 apps at once? THAT is what all the processing power is for. Whether you like it or not, these specs are now more than just about being able to say who has the most horsepower. With the level of multitasking that Samsung is taking, these specs are absolutely necessary imo. Do you honestly think you could watch a movie, play a game, and surf the web all at the same time (relax people, it's just an example) with the processor and ram in the Bold 9900? Of course not. Whether these are things the everyday person may use isn't question, it's about pushing the envelope and doing things because you CAN. That is how innovation works.
    02-07-13 09:33 AM
    what happends when google stops making android and samsung is left to develop its own OS?

I think I read an article on it somewhere, but that could definitely kill samsung if they don't do it properly. Also, how it affects past phones with no OS update is another thing as well.
    Ya, cuz that's going to happen anytime soon..
    02-07-13 09:34 AM
    I agree. The S3 is huge and feels like a miniature tablet when you make a call. My friend has one and it looks so funny clipped to his belt.
    Clipped to his belt? Does your friend also wear "Crocs" by chance?
    02-07-13 09:40 AM
    verizon rep said it'll be in stores in May.
    02-07-13 09:42 AM
    Desktop grade specs (although '8 core cpu' is misleading) will only worsen the battery life. And FullHD on a 5" screen will be no benefit unless you're using your smartphone with a magnifier :-)

BlackBerry did the right move by opting for 1280x720. For a lot of screen sizes (to come) it's above the 300 dpi up to which you can actually tell the difference and in contrast to the iPhone 5's strange aspect ratio it is perfectly suitable for HD content. Guess why it's officially called "HDready 720p" in (mainlnad) Europe (you know the part of the world conversion between units makes sense )
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-07-13 09:45 AM
    Aside from the hardware, lets not forget about the rumoured Software:
    •New user interface, dubbed "Nature UX"
    •"Eye Scroll"
    •"Eye Pause"

I'm guessing that as your reading a web page or whatever, that the software will automatically scroll as your eyes near the bottom of the page, while Eye Pause might be something with videos, where you take your eyes of the screen and the movie pauses. All very cool concepts imo, although how practical will be anyones guess..
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-07-13 09:48 AM
    Desktop grade specs (although '8 core cpu' is misleading) will only worsen the battery life. And FullHD on a 5" screen will be no benefit unless you're using your smartphone with a magnifier :-)

BlackBerry did the right move by opting for 1280x720. For a lot of screen sizes (to come) it's above the 300 dpi up to which you can actually tell the difference and in contrast to the iPhone 5's strange aspect ratio it is perfectly suitable for HD content. Guess why it's officially called "HDready 720p" in (mainlnad) Europe (you know the part of the world conversion between units makes sense )
    More cores does not mean less battery life, in fact it could improve battery life. As for "specs" don't matter... well I'm sure there are 2 Million PlayBook owners who wished RIM had beefed up the RAM. These specs might not matter today, but over the life of the phone it is at least conceivable that they might make a difference.

The real problem is going to be WHAT will the carriers do with two major devices being release around the same time. Which one gets a spot a the front of the store, which one has banners in the windows, which one is featured on their website, which one do they feature in the television and radio commercials?

If BB10 was release today in the US, BlackBerry might get the spotlight. In a month or two that might not be the case.
    02-07-13 09:58 AM
    If this happens any where near the U.S. launch date for the Q10 I fear, as I have said before and by many others, Q10s sales will be negatively affected. This becomes worse for every million Samsung puts onto advertising and in store promotions. Shelf space and position become a problem for BB.

Another misfire in the U.S. would not be something they could recover from state side. ,

Here's to hoping things go sooner rather then later

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-07-13 10:30 AM
    More cores does not mean less battery life, in fact it could improve battery life. As for "specs" don't matter... well I'm sure there are 2 Million PlayBook owners who wished RIM had beefed up the RAM. These specs might not matter today, but over the life of the phone it is at least conceivable that they might make a difference.

The real problem is going to be WHAT will the carriers do with two major devices being release around the same time. Which one gets a spot a the front of the store, which one has banners in the windows, which one is featured on their website, which one do they feature in the television and radio commercials?

If BB10 was release today in the US, BlackBerry might get the spotlight. In a month or two that might not be the case.
    Yes, RAM is the race track where you let your horses run free. You put a formula one car on a go cart track, you aren't gonna get very far very fast. The European verson of the SIII got a quad processor with a gig of RAM, whereas the US version got dual core with two gig of RAM, and I've seen a number of folks with the Euro version that wish they had the RAM, because lack of it bogs their sports car processor.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-07-13 10:40 AM

lol. Do you really need to ask?
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-07-13 11:06 AM
    If this happens any where near the U.S. launch date for the Q10 I fear, as I have said before and by many others, Q10s sales will be negatively affected. This becomes worse for every million Samsung puts onto advertising and in store promotions. Shelf space and position become a problem for BB.

Another misfire in the U.S. would not be something they could recover from state side. ,

Here's to hoping things go sooner rather then later

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    I'm not so sure the S4 would impact the Q10 sales in any way. The Q10 is a niche phone (imo) being that it has a physical KB and all, and the type of consumer looking for that type of phone generally isn't interested in all touch screens, especially 5" ones.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-07-13 11:28 AM
171 ... 23456 ...