well I really wonder how BlackBerry is going to counter this. Eight cores and what phone needs that 13 mega pixels!!! I'm sure though that it will still sell out across the world. I can't understand how Samsung is able to push out new flagship phones so quickly. I think BlackBerry will need to release another flagship phone by august maybe unveiling it at BlackBerry World. Well I guess we will just have to see what happens.
    its because all they really do is build the hardware and the drivers for it, google does all the OS coding for them thats how all Android or any other licensed OS is able to push out devices so quickly, tehre is a second company doing all the coding while another is designing and buildign hardware. where as apple and Blackberry do both
    02-06-13 09:58 PM
    well I really wonder how BlackBerry is going to counter this. Eight cores and what phone needs that 13 mega pixels!!! I'm sure though that it will still sell out across the world. I can't understand how Samsung is able to push out new flagship phones so quickly. I think BlackBerry will need to release another flagship phone by august maybe unveiling it at BlackBerry World. Well I guess we will just have to see what happens.
    I think Samsung has figured out, right or wrong, that regular refreshes are almost necessary to be successful. If you want to maintain mindshare, you have to give consumers producs. I think BBRY has a plan in place to play the same game, what with the rumored roadmap and stuff.
    02-06-13 09:59 PM
    its because all they really do is build the hardware and the drivers for it, google does all the OS coding for them thats how all Android or any other licensed OS is able to push out devices so quickly, tehre is a second company doing all the coding while another is designing and buildign hardware. where as apple and Blackberry do both
    Seems to be the perfect combination for both corporations currently. There are pros and cons, though.
    02-06-13 10:01 PM
    TouchWhiz involves a ton of coding. It modifies almost every single aspect of the Android OS and enables a ton of useful features that Vanilla Android doesn't offer.

I still prefer Nexus devices, but it is really impressive what Samsung has done with their software. There is no doubt that Samsung does a ton of coding on Android. After all, TouchWhiz has split screen multitasking, but Android doesn't. So to say Samsung is just making hardware is simply wrong.
    Last edited by Saiga; 02-06-13 at 10:21 PM.
    02-06-13 10:03 PM
    Hmm let's see here.

Samsung Galaxy S sold 24 million units.
    Samsung Galaxy S2 sold 40 million units.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 sold 45 million units.

Every Galaxy device has been made of cheap feeling plastic, they've all pushed the boundaries on hardware including screen size. Yet amazingly people still buy them. People obviously dont care if the phone feels like a televison remote controll. They also must not have a problem with large screens.

The Z10 sitting next to the S4 is going to work out really bad for Z10. Anyone that thinks otherwise is probably in a bit of denial.
    You failed to include the changes in numbers for smart phone users. You didn't include the numbers for successful products with lower specs during the same periods...cough...iPhone. I'm not saying samsung wasn't doing things to make money. But nobody I've known who bought a galaxy knew squat about what was under the hood. Your argument is silly in my opinion. Samsung used what worked for Apple I think. They created a universal line with annual updates that included a UI that looked like the iPhone and a handset designed to do the same. Once they established that, they pushed the envelope with screen size and specs. That's my take.
    02-06-13 10:20 PM
    Yeah, because I'm sure TouchWhiz doesn't involve any coding. Sure, it modifies almost every single aspect of the Android OS and enables a ton of useful features that Vanilla Android doesn't offer, but nah Google did all of it. Lol

I don't know if it is just a case of being uninformed, or if some folks here just like spreading misinformation, but I do find it entertaining.
    It sure as h*ll isn't the same level of coding as building your own OS from the ground up and then expanding on it. Seriously?
    Prince_Poppycock likes this.
    02-06-13 10:22 PM

I don't know if it is just a case of being uninformed, or if some folks here just like spreading misinformation, but I do find it entertaining.
    I swear saiga I am not picking on you.

I got my first android tab 2.2 years ago. At that time there were many launchers you could download. These were mostly from small time devs.

I will agree Sammy has gone (to them) great lengths doing their own launcher, it is basically a launcher.

If I ran the company (good for them I don't lol) I would put the resources to do my own software.
    The time and effort that google has put into software I would guess is at least 200 times more than smsung has.
    02-06-13 10:27 PM
    It sure as h*ll isn't the same level of coding as building your own OS from the ground up and then expanding on it. Seriously?
    Don't you mean building your own OS from Linux up? Lol
    Admorris likes this.
    02-06-13 10:30 PM
    If I ran the company (good for them I don't lol) I would put the resources to do my own software.
    Samsung does have it's own OS (or two); it found out, I think, that making a compelling ecosystem is a VERY daunting task.
    grover5 and Enyigma like this.
    02-06-13 10:30 PM
    well,there goes to launching without noise.
    02-06-13 10:38 PM
    IMHO, spec alone will not guarantee a great mobile experience. After my bb 9810, I switched to SG3 which I found too sluggish for my use even though it has tons of apps. Sold my SG3 and bought an iPhone5. Just hate the browser sensitivity, can't scrolll to my taste.
    Last edited by TheGreatGouk; 02-06-13 at 10:56 PM.
    02-06-13 10:44 PM
    Not to worry don't forget BlackBerry plans on releasing 6 phones this year. Can you say aristo
    02-06-13 10:46 PM
    Samsung does have it's own OS (or two); it found out, I think, that making a compelling ecosystem is a VERY daunting task.
    I know they are talking about using another software. Did they develop it or is it someone else? (too lazy to look it up.)
    Yes getting the ecosystem going is the daunting task. What us oldtimers remember is Samsung has never been known for software. I have worked for 4 different large "foreign" companies and software is always the weak point.
    It is getting better but there is still a large difference.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    02-06-13 10:53 PM
    So? A fast processor and 13 MP doesn't fix the fact that Android is a BUGGY piece of sh*t OS! It's like having a beautiful Porsche with ventilated four-wheel disc brakes, electronic traction control, Porsche Stability Management system and a 50 HP engine from a lawnmower....I mean, who cares about the other stuff when the ENGINE SUCKS?
    TheGreatGouk likes this.
    02-06-13 10:54 PM
    HTC won't hit a home run and I don't really consider two way competition a huge consumer win personally... Consumers think they "win" if 90% of them use a single phone model...
    LOL. I use all three- Android, BlackBerry, and iPhone. So, while I don't represent 90%, I manage to be very happy. But, I also take fiber everyday, too.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    02-06-13 11:04 PM
    Sorry for posting another BGR article, but I'm concerned that the Samsung Galaxy IV announcement will hurt sales in the United States. What are Crackberry's thoughts?

Source: Samsung Galaxy S IV release date rumored for May, June in U.S. | BGR
    My coworker and his wife whom I have influenced and courted for the past year about BlackBerry 10 just went out and pulled the trigger on the Galaxy S3 from Verizon after they learned the available date of the Z10. Their contract was up and their old phones were falling apart. It's too bad. Oh well that's how it goes.

(* of course I'm holding out for the Z10 *)
    02-06-13 11:04 PM
    I know they are talking about using another software. Did they develop it or is it someone else? (too lazy to look it up.)
    Yes getting the ecosystem going is the daunting task. What us oldtimers remember is Samsung has never been known for software. I have worked for 4 different large "foreign" companies and software is always the weak point.
    It is getting better but there is still a large difference.
    Samsung developed bada, and have an interest in the open sourced Tizen. I think it is prudent for Sammy to have a safety net, but doubt it'll be abandoning Android anytime soon.
    02-06-13 11:05 PM
    its just a specs race in android...ugh hope that battery is 540000 mah lol
    02-06-13 11:09 PM
    Big deal it has better specs than the Z10 a lot of phones out now do as well. In the end it's the same OS if people want android they will stick with android for people that want change there is blackberry. Right now bb is trying to solidify a 3rd place spot. Samsung is not there competition right now. Give it time, there is always going to be something new and better coming out.
    02-06-13 11:14 PM
    Samsung developed bada, and have an interest in the open sourced Tizen. I think it is prudent for Sammy to have a safety net, but doubt it'll be abandoning Android anytime soon.
    Thats it. Thanks Tre.

So I guess the question is has any open source code made an impact in "commercial" market? Basically get paid? Yes I am sure Red Hat (or the competitors) are killing it nowdays.
    02-06-13 11:15 PM
    Make sure you wear a black bikini so Kevin can make you an honorary winner for one of the Z10 giveaways.
    Dude,

I think you need some help.

Besides, I only wear the bikini for the wife.
    02-06-13 11:20 PM
    never liked samsungs hardware. The S3 feels awkward in your hand. Im shur this will feel even worse. Im curious on the nexus 5 later this year. If they abandon the low price approach and go all out with specs, keep it on the practical size. Ill be seriously contemplating useing one.
    02-06-13 11:49 PM
    Jelly bean compared to bb10 is ****! I wasn't a fan of it. And if the galaxy s line is 5" WTF?!? Is the note gonna be?!? Sounds pretty hard core to me. And stupid specs like that would be needed for android in its current stage. Qnx can run as fast with what it currently has.
    02-07-13 12:01 AM
    Mar 15th in Europe and I can't get a GIV in North America until MAY OR JUNE?!?!?!?!?! I AM OUTRAGED!!!!!

WHY DIDN'T SAMSUNG GET HANDSETS TO THE US CARRIERS EARLIER!?!?!?!?
    HAHAHA! Sarcasm is hilarious! AHH! You really stuck it to the complainers! But here's the thing: The reason Samsung didn't get the handsets to the carriers earlier is because they don't have to. They're number one. People wait for their phones in numbers that BlackBerry can only dream about. The rules are different when you're established and when you're trying to get established (or reestablished ). I want BlackBerry to succeed in the US. That is going to be a whole lot harder with a launch in mid March than it would've been with a launch in mid- or even late February, and the announcement of the S4 is a big reason why.
    aniym likes this.
    02-07-13 12:43 AM
    The way I see it, if this "Huge" phones didn't sell well, Samsung wouldn't be making them. Besides, Samsung also makes smaller phones for people who want them. But, it's interesting that the Samsung Note 2 and Galaxy S3 have both sold better than most people were expecting. People who said, "No one wants a phone that big. That's Ridiculous". Say what you want about Android, but I LOVE that you have a big variety of phones to choose from. They almost have everyone covered. Also love being able to use different OS's simply by swapping my simcard.

Also, WHY do people still go to BGR when they knowingly admit that they think/know the site is full of lies and false information? There are many other more credible tech sites out there.
    02-07-13 12:55 AM
171 12345 ...