the 5 inch screen actually isnt going to increase the size of the device from what i have seen. bezels are getting smaller as the screen gets bigger. I love the idea of the screen size/resolution but i prefer nexus devices over the skinned sammy. No doubt this will appear to the gen pop just like the s3 though.

This phone looks damn GOOD to ME, and with the specs........well lets just say.......nevermind
    Attachment 134362
    Blacklatino likes this.
    02-06-13 07:46 PM
    First off, I doubt this will release until at least May/June. The S3 is obnoxiously big and even if this stays the same size, I think the Z10 looks more appealing. Your average consumer won't really see the significance of a better cpu/gpu when buying the device. They might say "ohh more mp camera!" or something to that effect but it doesn't necessarily mean the lense will be better. The battery is fairly large but it'll need it.

I guess I shouldn't speak for everyone else or before seeing it, but I've never been a fan of the Galaxy line. From my testing the Z10 vs S3, the Z10 loads websites faster everytime (both on wifi). The screen on the Z10 also appears more natural with bright whites while the AMOLED+ has an ugly blue hue. The S3 feels plasticy and doesn't have an appealing design. That's not an end all be all of course and these are just my opinions.
    You are entitled to your opinion, but your overall response to the OP seems to be: look here are reasons I don't like the Galaxy line, and thus, nothing to worry about for RIM.

I agree....I cannot understand why people want giant phones, and yes, the Galaxy feels plasticy to me (though that alone wouldn't stop me from buying one if other functions advantageous to me were present), nor do I care about cpu specs. However, sales strongly testify to the fact that others don't agree with us, and so we should accept that many people are attracted to the Galaxy.
    02-06-13 08:04 PM
    If the report is true, it isn't optimal news for BBRY, no matter how you cut it.

LOL... I remember when folks here proclaimed 4" screens as too big. Now it's just right, eh?

With HTC desperately needing a home run, it'll be an interesting Spring. Consumers win.
    02-06-13 08:15 PM
    With HTC desperately needing a home run, it'll be an interesting Spring. Consumers win.
    HTC won't hit a home run and I don't really consider two way competition a huge consumer win personally... Consumers think they "win" if 90% of them use a single phone model...
    grover5 and BlackStormRising like this.
    02-06-13 08:20 PM
    HTC won't hit a home run and I don't really consider two way competition a huge consumer win personally... Consumers think they "win" if 90% of them use a single phone model...
    Spring will be, for me at least. HTC isn't going anywhere, and as long as I have plenty of options, I'm happy.
    MERCDROID likes this.
    02-06-13 08:25 PM
    HTC is supposedly about to release a whiz-bang camera and a new spin on audio and media - should be interesting - they make some incredible screens already.

Speaking of screens - that screen on the SIV is supposed to be unbreakable (cue the Titanic ). Still it's an interesting concept in a smartphone world where "everyone has a crack on their iPhones and Galaxies"

I switched with a friend and am using a GNex and the 4.8" screen seems tiny after the GNote.

The OP's point I think was mentioning this was supposed to be a "noise free" release time for BBRY encouraged by carriers. It may not turn out that way, at least in the good ole USA. Whether that SIV is a concern for BBRY - time will tell. Samsung made 8 billion bucks last quarter and is expected to at least repeat that this quarter, that will buy a lot of marketing even if they have to send AAPL a billion
    02-06-13 08:32 PM
    Hmm let's see here.

Samsung Galaxy S sold 24 million units.
    Samsung Galaxy S2 sold 40 million units.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 sold 45 million units.

Every Galaxy device has been made of cheap feeling plastic, they've all pushed the boundaries on hardware including screen size. Yet amazingly people still buy them. People obviously dont care if the phone feels like a televison remote controll. They also must not have a problem with large screens.

The Z10 sitting next to the S4 is going to work out really bad for Z10. Anyone that thinks otherwise is probably in a bit of denial.
    02-06-13 08:51 PM
    Hmm let's see here.

Samsung Galaxy S sold 24 million units.
    Samsung Galaxy S2 sold 40 million units.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 sold 45 million units.

Every Galaxy device has been made of cheap feeling plastic, they've all pushed the boundaries on hardware including screen size. Yet amazingly people still buy them. People obviously dont care if the phone feels like a televison remote controll. They also must not have a problem with large screens.

The Z10 sitting next to the S4 is going to work out really bad for Z10. Anyone that thinks otherwise is probably in a bit of denial.
    There is no doubt the Z10 is not in the same league as the S4. But BB do have the option to just lower the ASP and sell the Z10 as a mid end phone. There is generally less competition there and the carrier will most likely push more if they can get higher margin on them.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-06-13 08:54 PM
    Just had to address this.

Just for a qualifier I am in the electronic interconnect bus.

On these multicor processors you have a couple of issues.
    1. You have to have reliable process that will yield 95-98% yield. (can't waste cores on bad connections) It is not very easy to do on 2 cores. 4 cores is 8 times as hard. 8 cores will be 32 times as hard. Basically all 8 cores have to have perfect process to make it work. This takes time to get a production level process.

2. So say sammy gets 8 cores up to a production level. Now the software has to optimezed to use them correctly.

I believe they recently showed a prototype of the8 core? If so they probably only have recently started work on them. How many times have we seen 1 time builds that are never built in volume. Now if the 8 core gave them a HUGE advantage it might be worth the HUGE cost of installing on a $199 phone.
    02-06-13 08:59 PM
    Wow that version of jelly bean must be a real resource hog.
    02-06-13 09:00 PM
    I just hope there are no carrier delays.
    02-06-13 09:02 PM
    There is no doubt the Z10 is not in the same league as the S4. But BB do have the option to just lower the ASP and sell the Z10 as a mid end phone. There is generally less competition there and the carrier will most likely push more if they can get higher margin on them.
    MIght not be a bad option, though I'm sure that's not what they want: the big comeback with what is now immediately seen as a mid-tier phone. Still....mid, high, low, they need sales more than anything. I think they are trying to be more Apple-like and keep their margins high.....Apple does make the profits after all.....but....well I've said candidly before...it's just tough situation for them all around.
    02-06-13 09:03 PM
    There is NO G4!!!

You cannot compete against MAYBE!!

Think about it, will an 8 core processor make it 8 times faster? If it does I will eat my android Xoom tablet that I am typing this on and put it on youtube.
    02-06-13 09:12 PM
    This is why I think BB messed up by pricing it like a high-end device. I've personally always considered the Z10 mid tier...especially since we know that the A-series is coming later with better specs. Its great that even with lower specs, the Z10 can keep up with quad core devices but with them being the underdog for the time being, I think its going to be a little tougher sale if the Z10 is sitting next to a brand new Galaxy S4 and priced the exact same.

Galaxy S4 specs look amazing but I almost have to ask if android is even optimized for something like that cpu Samsung is putting in it? Either way, I don't think its fair to compare the Z10 to the new S4. Now when the A series comes out, I think that'll be a great smartphone showdown.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-06-13 09:14 PM
    Wow that version of jelly bean must be a real resource hog.
    So you mean like how BB10 is such a resource hog that it requires 2GB of ram just to function?

That is kinda crazy, there are plenty of Jelly Bean devices that have just 1GB of ram, in fact the majority of them only have 1GB of ram. Yet, the super efficient BlackBerry 10 OS requires 2GB of ram. Good stuff.
    Drew808 and JeepBB like this.
    02-06-13 09:18 PM
    So you mean like how BB10 is such a resource hog that it requires 2GB of ram just to function?

That is kinda crazy, there are plenty of Jelly Bean devices that have just 1GB of ram, in fact the majority of them only have 1GB of ram. Yet, the super efficient BlackBerry 10 OS requires 2GB of ram. Good stuff.
    I guess you have info from BB that 2G is required to operate? Please tell us more. lol lol
    02-06-13 09:23 PM
    That processor seems a little over the top.
    doesn't seem right at all, it'll probably burn and disintagrate from the heat (exageration but back i nthe day if heatsinks on some AMD durons weren't placed right they would burnto nothing), i'll believe it when i see it, but there is only one PC with an octa core and that is and AMD processor, intel doesn't even have an octacore, atleast not on a PC.

i call BS until i'm proven wrong
    02-06-13 09:34 PM
    I guess you have info from BB that 2G is required to operate? Please tell us more. lol lol
    "While the Z10 has 2GB of RAM, the Dev Alpha B only has 1GB of RAM. Having spent a lot of time with both devices, it's clear that 1GB of RAM is not enough to power BlackBerry 10." - Kevin Michaluk
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-06-13 09:35 PM
    How I'd like to see BlackBerry 10 come to the BlackBerry PlayBook | CrackBerry.com
    02-06-13 09:36 PM

do you really think any other moder OS is any other way? the more you try to convienece the more memory intrucive it becomes, why else do you think Windows requires 2 gigs of RAM. the BB hub is always running and having all things incorperated into the hub its goign to require some memory don't you think, eithere way the core OS doesn't even use 50% of the availible RAM so things could have been done with 1.5GB but they opted for 2.

Widgets and **** make Android more of a memory hog also so the 1GB they used to run with is a thing of the past
    02-06-13 09:43 PM
    5" screen? Come on man, the screen of the S3 was too damn big, that device looked ridiculous as a phone (in my opinion)...now they're going even bigger
    I agree. The S3 is huge and feels like a miniature tablet when you make a call. My friend has one and it looks so funny clipped to his belt.
    02-06-13 09:48 PM
    "While the Z10 has 2GB of RAM, the Dev Alpha B only has 1GB of RAM. Having spent a lot of time with both devices, it's clear that 1GB of RAM is not enough to power BlackBerry 10." - Kevin Michaluk
    Well I guess that proves it. Coming from a non tech guy that doesn't code. ( I don't either) Those are his observations that comes from what he THINKS is going on. Any software SHOULD run better on more RAM.

Are you 100% sure other than RAM, hard and software are exactly the same one dev and production models?

Sorry it tkes so long to reply on this crappy android tab keyboard.
    02-06-13 09:49 PM
    If the report is true, it isn't optimal news for BBRY, no matter how you cut it.

LOL... I remember when folks here proclaimed 4" screens as too big. Now it's just right, eh?

There once was a time that crackberry users scoffed at ever using an all touch device. Supposedly an on screen keyboard could never replace a physical one.
    02-06-13 09:51 PM
    well I really wonder how BlackBerry is going to counter this. Eight cores and what phone needs that 13 mega pixels!!! I'm sure though that it will still sell out across the world. I can't understand how Samsung is able to push out new flagship phones so quickly. I think BlackBerry will need to release another flagship phone by august maybe unveiling it at BlackBerry World. Well I guess we will just have to see what happens.
    02-06-13 09:52 PM
    There is NO G4!!!

You cannot compete against MAYBE!!

Think about it, will an 8 core processor make it 8 times faster? If it does I will eat my android Xoom tablet that I am typing this on and put it on youtube.
    Make sure you wear a black bikini so Kevin can make you an honorary winner for one of the Z10 giveaways.
    FSeverino likes this.
    02-06-13 09:55 PM
171 1234 ...