There are definitely not enough facts in this article and the fact that the target missed was created by the "big box store" itself is not totally unreasonable.

A few Best Buys and Futureshops in Canada opened earlier, had balloons and cupcakes in anticipation for a "iPad" style line up. What the media was shown on launch day was a civil number of consumers that picked up their pre-orders throughout the day and people trying the machine for the first time in many cases.

The high rate of return does show there are many consumers willing to try the tablet, and there are many even on this board waiting for some QNX maturity in Tablet OS and for more developers to get on board.

This kind of blog post is just to feed the trolls.
    05-20-11 10:08 AM
    Who set the sales targets for the retailer? 90% missed? How many did they honestly expect to sell?

I'd expect my Playbook sales to be 10-20% better than my xoom,
    NOT 10-20% worse than my apple

And NO way the playbook missed beating the xoom my 90%

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-11 11:06 AM
    If the store is best buy then I think they can take some of the blame. They kept the playbook with the mobile devices and not with the other tablets and they acted like they didn't want to sell it. At least this was my experience at the best buy stores I visited.
    05-20-11 11:32 AM
    Yesterdays story about 250,000 PlayBooks sold and todays coming from BGR are so far out of whack that its not hard to see this is just more Apple fanboy BS and should put to rest and thoughts that this type of "smear campaign" isn't happening to RIM.
    RBC Capital markets is a world renowned markets institution that has a reputation to uphold. In their article RBC was clear on how they came to their conclusions and backed them up with numbers and store names. BRG is who? I don't Know. No rely I don't know... Their stats come with no information to back them up except a secret source. More like their secret sauce.. BGR just blew it on the credibility front!
    05-20-11 11:45 AM
    Keep in mind that all too often, BGR's "Insider Source" is a random post/comment found deep in a message forum.

I remember not too long ago (well, over a year ago now that I think about it), when BGR's reliable source about the Storm 3 turned out to be a thread here on Crackberry that was chock full of random guesses and wishful thinking.
    05-20-11 11:55 AM
    This was so predictable. As soon as BGR posted the story about the analyst giving positive news about 250,000 being sold, I knew their would be a few hatchet jobs like the recall of 900 (simply to make sure software was done right i.e. not an hardware/antennagate issue), and now unnamed sources from unnamed retailer saying that its selling bad. I'll probably stop going over there. Usually the positive news makes it here a couple hours later anyway.
    05-20-11 12:39 PM
    BlackBerry PlayBook sales miss targets by over 90% at major retailer, 'much higher' return rate than XOOM

Exclusives BlackBerry PlayBook sales miss targets by over 90% at major retailer, �much higher� return rate than XOOM
    By: Jonathan S. Geller | May 20th, 2011 at 10:00AM View Comments Filed Under: Exclusives, Retail, Tablets

PlayBook sales at this particular retailer missed internal sales targets by more than 90%. Our source is singing a different tune, however, so let�s hope other major retailers are having better luck with the PlayBook.
    Ok, so perhaps I'm wrong in how I'm interpreting this, but the article said that this major retailer missed internal sales targets by more then 90% but it didn't say that RIM missed their targetted sales by 90%.

The retailer will always set their expectations based upon many things, but the reality of it is that they probably set their internal targets too high without taking into account that this is a new platform (QNX) with only the Blackberry name behind it. It has not provened itself in the consumer marketplace yet, so I think their internal sales target was unrealistic.

I still don't see this as RIM sharing their internal sales targets.

From experience when one of the companies we manage, launch a new item we look at many variables, brand recognition, niche or non niche item, how develop is consumer awareness on this particular item. While brand awareness will make it noticeable and can get it into the retail and consumer stream easier, the other factors are also major contributor to the success of the product. We can set our internal sales targets and the retail stream can set their sales targets, quite frequently the retail sales targets do not always jive with our sales expectations. Our expectataions of a particular product for most parts are more realistic whereas the retail stream expectations can varied greatly.

Thus I'm interested on what this retail account set their internal sales targets at and what factors they used to get to that decision.
    05-20-11 01:14 PM
    StreetInsider.com - Research In Motion (RIMM) Fights Back Against Negative PlayBook Rumors

Research In Motion Limited (Nasdaq: RIMM) issued a statement on the BGR report that sales of PlayBook missed a retailer's estimate drastically.

In a statement to StreetInsider.com, RIM said: "the source of the reported comment is anonymous and unknown to RIM, but the comment is certainly inconsistent with the positive feedback we have received from our main retail partners."

RIM also confirmed it will provide a business update on BlackBerry PlayBook results on June 16.

RIM also referenced a recent public statement offered by Best Buy (NYSE: BBY):

"Best Buy has had great success selling BlackBerry smartphones in North America, so our sales expectations for the BlackBerry PlayBook were very high. To date, we have far exceeded those expectations and we're finding that customers are even more interested in purchasing once they've tested the PlayBook in the store."
    05-20-11 01:15 PM
    05-20-11 01:25 PM
    StreetInsider.com - Research In Motion (RIMM) Fights Back Against Negative PlayBook Rumors

Research In Motion Limited (Nasdaq: RIMM) issued a statement on the BGR report that sales of PlayBook missed a retailer's estimate drastically.

In a statement to StreetInsider.com, RIM said: "the source of the reported comment is anonymous and unknown to RIM, but the comment is certainly inconsistent with the positive feedback we have received from our main retail partners."

RIM also confirmed it will provide a business update on BlackBerry PlayBook results on June 16.

RIM also referenced a recent public statement offered by Best Buy (NYSE: BBY)

"Best Buy has had great success selling BlackBerry smartphones in North America, so our sales expectations for the BlackBerry PlayBook were very high. To date, we have far exceeded those expectations and we're finding that customers are even more interested in purchasing once they've tested the PlayBook in the store."
    I find RIM's public response more alarming than the actualy BGR story..

there is no way that RIM does not have detailed knowledge of sell through through their channels after about 5 weeks. For them to post the "canned" Best Buy statement from the first week of sales, makes me very suspicious. If the story was bunk they could have easily presented something more concrete than that...
    05-20-11 01:27 PM

there is no way that RIM does not have detailed knowledge of sell through through their channels after about 5 weeks. For them to post the "canned" Best Buy statement from the first week of sales, makes me very suspicious. If the story was bunk they could have easily presented something more concrete than that...
    RIM stopped releasing sales numbers so all they can release is quotes saying that retailers are happy with the progress of sales.
    05-20-11 01:54 PM
    Here is a comparison of Best Buy's response from week one and today..

Best Buy reports Research in Motion PlayBook sales | Ina Fried | Mobilized | AllThingsD

I recognize that RIm does not release numbers but if all they have is that week 1 quote from Best buy, I suspect things are not so hot.

Not to mention the amount of crackberry fans that have returned the device.
    05-20-11 02:01 PM
    I for one don't believe everything on these tech sites about rumors and analyst claims and sources etc.... But I also think everyone needs to stop getting so defensive and ready to discredit every piece of new that isn't flattering to the device or company of your choice. Just ignore and move on until you still or hear real evidence. I mean if someone says one bad thing about RIM they are a troll or Apple fanboy even if they don't like Apple and are giving their honest opinion. But when the "analyst" estimated 250,000 playbooks sold everyone nearly leaped for joy but they are also unfounded claims by an analysts who almost always predicts positive things for RIM even when he's wrong. Trying to have it both ways and jump for joy over good news and discredit bad news in which case both are just rumors and nothing official from anyone remotely close to the company is being a bit hypocritical. Just my thoughts.
    BGR has run several stories about return rates on BlackBerry devices for the Storm and Tour. All of which were wrong as the earning results showed. So if they run another article based on "sources" with another massive return rate, odds are they are wrong again. But the idea that the PlayBook is seeing massive return rates will continue to crop up in every discussion. At what point does BGR and other blogs take responsibility for their articles?
    05-20-11 02:04 PM

They do have detailed numbers which they don't release until earnings are reported. It's really not that difficult to find these things out.
    05-20-11 02:06 PM
    I for one don't believe everything on these tech sites about rumors and analyst claims and sources etc.... But I also think everyone needs to stop getting so defensive and ready to discredit every piece of new that isn't flattering to the device or company of your choice. Just ignore and move on until you still or hear real evidence. I mean if someone says one bad thing about RIM they are a troll or Apple fanboy even if they don't like Apple and are giving their honest opinion. But when the "analyst" estimated 250,000 playbooks sold everyone nearly leaped for joy but they are also unfounded claims by an analysts who almost always predicts positive things for RIM even when he's wrong. Trying to have it both ways and jump for joy over good news and discredit bad news in which case both are just rumors and nothing official from anyone remotely close to the company is being a bit hypocritical. Just my thoughts.

But it gets old when the arguments are baseless, where as when writers see what RIM is doing in terms of their long term plan people are happy.
    05-20-11 02:09 PM

they need to have something to talk about on the earnings call!

at the end of the day this just proves that BGR dont have anything solid or they would now turn round and release numbers.
    05-20-11 02:13 PM
    Why is everyone so suprised that returns could be high? Haven't you noticed it from this web site alone?

do you think the general public would be more or less inclined to return it than the die-hard crackberry fans that have here?
    05-20-11 02:16 PM
    Why is everyone so suprised that returns could be high? Haven't you noticed it from this web site alone?

do you think the general public would be more or less inclined to return it than the die-hard crackberry fans that have here?
    well, theres nothing wrong with my playbook, so far as everything thats on there works (although some better functionality would be nice in some apps).
    so it does what it says on the tin. those who expected more, or just found it wasnt for them, hey, thats fine, simply return it.

the whole issue people have in this thread is the unproveable and unquantified post on BGR
    05-20-11 02:42 PM
    RIM Responds to BGR.......

Exclusives RIM responds to reports of poor PlayBook sales, high return rate at major retailer
    By: Jonathan S. Geller | May 20th, 2011 at 03:50PM View Comments Filed Under: Exclusives, Tablets

RIM just reached out to us with a statement regarding our post from this morning in which we reported that a big box retailer provided us with information surrounding BlackBerry PlayBook sales and returns. RIM’s response is as follows:

The source of the reported comment is anonymous and unknown to RIM, but the comment is certainly inconsistent with the positive feedback we have received from our main retail partners. As previously indicated, RIM will provide a business update on BlackBerry PlayBook results on June 16.

For reference, here is a public statement recently offered by Best Buy:

“Best Buy has had great success selling BlackBerry smartphones in North America, so our sales expectations for the BlackBerry PlayBook were very high. To date, we have far exceeded those expectations and we’re finding that customers are even more interested in purchasing once they’ve tested the PlayBook in the store.”

While we appreciate RIM’s comment and we have no doubt that PlayBook sales at Best Buy have exceeded expectations, we stand by our source and our story from earlier today.

Here is our thread on it, if anyone wants to discuss THAT blog....

http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/of...-sales-617093/
    05-20-11 03:09 PM
    "While we appreciate RIM’s comment and we have no doubt that PlayBook sales at Best Buy have exceeded expectations, we stand by our source and our story from earlier today."

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........
    05-20-11 03:14 PM

You are correct. When you go to the RIM Complimentary Support webpage
    and enter your PBs serial number it knows when your PB was sold. You do not enter the sale date, the website database has that serial numbers/PB sale date already in it.

So they DO know how many and when they were sold.

But they will not say until mext month. SOP for business.

Tim
    05-20-11 03:21 PM

According to a trusted source from a major big box retailer, sales of RIM�s BlackBerry PlayBook have fallen far short of expectations.
    The 'Source' is probable that guy at the front door at BestBuy who checks receipts

Negative blog posts like this, with no hard facts, is just away to get traffic to their site...
    05-20-11 03:56 PM
    [QUOTE=Lucky45;6346172]The 'Source' is probable that guy at the front door at BestBuy who checks receipts

QUOTE]

so a canadian anaylst that has been pumping RIm with a stock target of 90 is to be fully trusted through his BEst buy channel checks, but this source is not...?
    05-20-11 04:04 PM
    I also did not find RIM's comment heartening. They didn't have to quote anything. They could have just said that according to current retailer reports, the PB has been doing well. They didn't. Furthermore, they didn't even bother to address the return rate accusation. That is the more damming of the comments. Why respond at all if not to counter the damaging claims. This felt a lot more like damage control than setting the record straight.
    05-20-11 04:16 PM
    [QUOTE=Thumbtyper;6346197]
    The 'Source' is probable that guy at the front door at BestBuy who checks receipts

QUOTE]

so a canadian anaylst that has been pumping RIm with a stock target of 90 is to be fully trusted through his BEst buy channel checks, but this source is not...?
    It's BGR - even with they blog something positive about RIM/BlackBery it gets a negative spin somehow...

I like my BlackBerry/PlayBook and I really don't need the approval of all the geeky Tech Blog Sites to make me feel good about my choice(s).

I just like reading all this BS and how everyone gets all worked up over nothing - unless you're heavily invested in RIMM who gives a sh*t?? One stock dives you jump to the next...thats how trading works.
    05-20-11 04:18 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD